• World Traveler

Question about the Country Bear Jamboree

Here's a question for all you Disney geniuses ...

In the Country Bear Jamboree, Big Al sings "Blood on the Saddle" followed by a chuckle from Henry ... and usually followed by a laugh from the audience.
    Is this an inside joke or something, cause I never got it.

First of all, the lyrics are sad to say the least ...

There was blood on the saddle, blood all around
    And a great big puddle of blood on the ground

The cowboy lay in it, all covered with gore
    He'll never ride tall in the saddle no more

Oh pity the cowboy, all bloody and dead
    A bronco fell on him and mashed in his head
    Why does Henry chuckle at this and why do people laugh? Am I missing something? Can someone please enlighten me?

Thanks

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Super Duper!

Re: Question about the Country Bear Jamboree

I don't think it's Henry that has that wonderful, deep chuckle. I think it's Big Al.

Second, I have no idea why he does, just that he does... and it's a great laugh, to boot!

• Mostly Harmless.

Yeah it's Big Al laughing. I think that the laugh is strictly morbid. Hell, that's why I laugh at it!
    He felt like his life was some kind of dream and he sometimes wondered whose it was and whether they were enjoying it.
    follow us on Twitter! @MickeyMutineers
    DisregardListen to our podcast on iTunes!

• Banned User

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WLRvLOTTIMU]YouTube - Country Bear Jamboree at Disney's Magic Kingdom[/ame]
    He is singing "Blood on the Saddle" then the crew starts singing and covering up his voice kind of like so that the audience cannot hear him.

In this tape here is how I see it.
    7:23 is the end of the interaction of Henry and Teddi Barra.
    7:24 is the appearance of Big Al.
    8:11 the lights go out on Big Al
    8:12 Henry says "Gang hit it" and everyone starts singing to cover up Big Al's singing, bear tracks and 90 miles an hour, story about Big Al or some other bear.
    9:09 there is the OOH and the sound of Big Al falling off his seat. Lights flicker off and on
    9:11 is the breaking of glass and all the characters disappear
    9:14 Henry and his **** hat reappear with a spotlight on them only Henry lets out a nervous laugh. Trying to make light of what just happened. It has nothing to do with the song but instead about a performer who messed up in the show. Then he laughs again and regains his composure.

Basically Henry did what he could to cover up the offensive song along with his performers then Big Al fell and finally Henry takes control and nervously laughs and tries to get through this blundering mess that just happened.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pKI21fdR7jg]YouTube - tex ritter blood on the saddle[/ame]
    It is a Tex Ritter song and was a hit apparently.

Blood on the Saddle
    lyrics

Smithsonian Folkways
    Smithsonian Folkways
    Tony Kraber version which was not as silly or exagerated and must faster tempoed as the Tex Ritter version.

• (Not a) New User

Tex Ritter is Big Al. He did the voice I think he just re-did it so it wasn't crazy like Blig Al's version is supposed to be.

My Twitter! CardfightrHuntr

• Diamond Edition

I've always thought that Big Al was supposed to be drunk, or at least crazy. He comes out and sings a very morbid song and just isn't "with the program," as they say. The audiences laughter is because:

A.) Its funny that this big bear is singing such a morbid song in a happy show
    B.) The way he sings it is silly
    C.) The fact that the rest of the bears try to ignore him by singing their happy song louder than he sings.

The show is full of ridiculous country songs, such as "Mama Don't Whoop Little Bufford," "Tears Will Be the Chaser For My Wine," and "All the Guys that Turn Me On (Turn Me Down)." Big Al's rendition of "Blood on the Saddle" is like the icing on the cake of a really awkward show, which to me is part of the charm and appeal. It's why I keep going back.

I'm with Goofystitch on this one - I thought it was supposed to be like a Grand Old Opry show from the 50's when they had a variety of county artists perform. Big Al is just doing his thing with his old out of tune guitar - It makes me laugh as well - but not as much as the song about whipping Bufford-
    BTW - Tex Ritter did record Big Al's song but he died in the 70's, I believe, so if it has been re-recorded as someone else suggested - it's not by him - the Disney people are good but they're not that good.

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

7:24 is the appearance of Big Al.
    8:11 the lights go out on Big Al
    8:12 Henry says "Gang hit it" and everyone starts singing to cover up Big Al's singing, bear tracks and 90 miles an hour, story about Big Al or some other bear.
    Ok that's not right. The video has a part edited out.

After Big Al's performance, Henry comes on to sing "The Ballad if Davy Crockett" (with Sammy, his racoon hat). While Henry & Sammy are singing, Big Al comes back out singing "Blood on the Saddle" again and Henry says, "Hey hold the phone down there! You've already had your turn!" But Big Al keeps singing, which is when Henry goes, "Hey gang, hit it!" And the entire cast comes out singing, "Ole Slew-Foot" to drown out Big Al until the curtains close on him and there's a crash from behind.

I know this show by heart.
    Last edited by aimster; 06-21-2009 at 06:22 PM.