Voters
0. You may not vote on this poll
  • na

0 0%
  • na

0 0%
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Magic Kingdom Expansion Confirmed?

Today Kris Theiler (VP of operations support for domestic parks and resorts) had the chance to speak to a couple of Disneyland Cast members about her experience with the company. She talked a little bit about the restructuring and how she now does double duty for both DLR and WDW. She mentioned her work on DCA including the expansion and then mentioned she was also working on the expansion in the Magic Kingdom. During a Q&A after her presentation a cm asked if she could elaborate on the Magic Kingdom project, wanting to know if it was for the park or the recent DVC expansion. Kris responded saying it is inside the park but she couldn't elaborate any further and said there would be an announcement about the project soon.

Also another small tidbit from Kris was that Disney is constantly looking at ways to improve and change Fastpass including even charging for fastpass (no surprise there.) She did mention that the "father" of fastpass believes that fastpass should always remain free as it is a service that they owe to the public however a pay system for a "magic pass" is currently being tested in HKDL.
    That has been reported at both WDWMAGIC and the DIS Boards. Does anybody know anything or have heard anything about this? I know a Pay-fastpass has been rumored for years and is probably on the horizon with DLP and HKDL now having it, but the part about MK getting an expansion is what i am unsure about. There is plent of room for expansion in MK as you can see from the map below by the colored in sections, but i do not think it would be a big one, more or less a new attraction or 2. Maybe the rumored Little Mermaid attraction or Snow white roller coaster? This is of course if any of this is true.

Again, this report is coming directly from those sites who have been talking about this in the standpoint of MK in Florida.

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Relax

Re: Magic Kingdom Expansion Confirmed?

Well the optimist in me is hopeful, excited and can't wait to see what they propose.

The pessimist in me figures the economy sucks and if they do anything at all it's going to be of the Stitch show, SGE and Monster's stink quality.

I'm on the fence and will just roll with it as it happens.

• Choir nerd

Hasn't a clone of the Little Mermaid ride under construction at DCA been confirmed for the area you highlighted in purple (former location of 20,000 Leagues)?

I did some "calculations" on my own, and I discovered that the Matterhorn could easily fit in this area as well... They probably won't do that, since Expedition Everest uses some of the same concepts.

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Relax

^Matterhorn is a totally different animal from EE, another mountain coaster would be fine but maybe a different theme?

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

Quote Originally Posted by Noski View Post
    Hasn't a clone of the Little Mermaid ride under construction at DCA been confirmed for the area you highlighted in purple (former location of 20,000 Leagues)?
    I remember hearing about that as well.

• All-American

From what I've heard, some expansion plans were almost given the green-light, and were to include a European village makeover of Fantasyland, rearranging some exterior attractions (most likely Dumbo or teacups), the Snow White roller coaster, and the groundbreaking for the Little Mermaid E-ticket where the subs used to be. However, these plans are now in an indefinite limbo, as a result of the economy. I'm hoping they'll see the light of day in a few years.

I personally think MK needs to focus more inward before they think about expanding - firing the New Management from the Tiki Room, putting some thematically relevant attractions in Tomorrowland, doing something with the old Skyway buildings, taking the Bazaar overlay from Adventureland... the European village Fantasyland makeover woudn't be a bad idea either. They've certainly got their work cut out for them.

• Mostly Harmless.

^^^ Unless my eyesight is worse than I thought the Euro-Village makeover is underway.
    He felt like his life was some kind of dream and he sometimes wondered whose it was and whether they were enjoying it.
    follow us on Twitter! @MickeyMutineers
    DisregardListen to our podcast on iTunes!

• All-American

Quote Originally Posted by Coastierox View Post
    ^^^ Unless my eyesight is worse than I thought the Euro-Village makeover is underway.
    Really? As in you saw it person??? That's good news; apparently I'm woefully underinformed. I'll check it out when I'm there in a few weeks.

• I'm Theme Park Happy!

Ohhh Bring Back 20,000 leagues in a whole new way! Just want some kind of lagoon or mini lake in Fantasyland.

As for pay fast pass.. rolling my eyes here. I don't pay it at Six Flags but I just may pay for it at Disney. Damn you Disney as you know I'll pay to have it!

As for the expansion... yay! Can't wait for the conceptual art!
    Micoofy Duck
    Disney Theme Park Fan #4,584,376
    http://www.micoofy.com

• Diamond Edition

As you can see in the picture, the yellow shaded in area at the top is a wooded area behind a backstage area where most cast members enter the tunnels on their way to work. Also, that wooded area is the fireworks' falling zone and routinely catches on fire, so any attractions set back there would have to be shut down during fireworks and built to be fire resistant. The other challenge would be getting guests "beyond the berm," which could be handled like in Disneyland's Indiana Jones or Haunted Mansion, but would still be challenging to build due to the fact that they can't dig more than 6 feet in Florida before they hit water.

The purple area, the old site of the 20,000 Leagues Lagoon, is where the rumored Little Mermaid attraction is expected to go. As far as I've heard, it is not confirmed to be coming to Magic Kingdom. However, the rumors I've been hearing is that all of Fantasyland is going to be overhauled in the same manner that Disneyland's was in the 80's. I'm sure it would be handled in waves so that only one or two attractions are down at a time, but the plan I've heard is to remove the tournament tent facades and make the land feel more like a fairytale village like at Disneyland, with enhancements being done to the rides, such as better effects in Peter Pan and characters added to Small World. One rumor is that Snow White's Scary Adventures will be replaced by a Beauty and the Beast dark ride that has been in development since the film came out. And of course, the big expectation is that a clone of DCA's Little Mermaid attraction will be constructed on the old 20,000 lagoon. The timeframe I've heard is 2012 for this refurbished land and expansion.

Of course, the Mermaid attraction shouldn't take up all of the lagoon site. I've heard lots of rumors that don't sound very official for what else might go there. Among those are an Alice in Wonderland dark ride like at Disneyland, which would have an entrance near the Mad Hatter's Tea Party and a queue that looks like the Queen's garden. Others have speculated the return of Mr. Toad's Wild Ride across the street from it's original home at Magic Kingdom, but I would be shocked if that was true, although I would certainly be excited about it.

A Snow White Mine Ride has been mentioned on this site. Perhaps this would be their justification for replacing the dark ride with Beauty and the Beast if that is true? Personally, I would be sad to see Snow White go. While that attraction would still be available elsewhere, I hate how Disneyland's ends so abruptly. The WDW version gives you the prince waking up Snow White and riding off into the sunset (plus Dopey's goodbye wave complete with wiggling ears).

• Golden State of Mind

Brush the dust off the Villan and Fire Mountain rumors.

• Mostly Harmless.

Quote Originally Posted by Coastierox View Post
    Yeah, Small world is tarped off with a thing that doesn't look circusish. Looking more and more like Disneyland! Just needs a big *ss mountain and Story Book land...
    He felt like his life was some kind of dream and he sometimes wondered whose it was and whether they were enjoying it.
    follow us on Twitter! @MickeyMutineers
    DisregardListen to our podcast on iTunes!

• All-American

Quote Originally Posted by goofystitch View Post

The purple area, the old site of the 20,000 Leagues Lagoon, is where the rumored Little Mermaid attraction is expected to go. As far as I've heard, it is not confirmed to be coming to Magic Kingdom. However, the rumors I've been hearing is that all of Fantasyland is going to be overhauled in the same manner that Disneyland's was in the 80's. I'm sure it would be handled in waves so that only one or two attractions are down at a time, but the plan I've heard is to remove the tournament tent facades and make the land feel more like a fairytale village like at Disneyland, with enhancements being done to the rides, such as better effects in Peter Pan and characters added to Small World. One rumor is that Snow White's Scary Adventures will be replaced by a Beauty and the Beast dark ride that has been in development since the film came out. And of course, the big expectation is that a clone of DCA's Little Mermaid attraction will be constructed on the old 20,000 lagoon. The timeframe I've heard is 2012 for this refurbished land and expansion.

Is nothing sacred anymore!?

. . . . .

(Exhales)

Thanks for the information, Goofystitch. And welcome to MiceChat!

Quote Originally Posted by Maverick View Post
    Brush the dust ofl the Villan and Fire Moutain rumors.
    Ooh, I like this idea!

• Hello there

Blog Entries

All of that would be great. They were doing something to SmallWorld when I was there mid-May.
    Fratsor Sister - Delta Mu Chi Alpha

ΔΜΧΑ

• Diamond Edition

Yeah, Small World is walled off right now, but I've heard from friends who work there that it is just routine facade maintenance and that it will look exactly the same when the walls come down. From what I heard, work definitely won't start until Space Mountain is back up and the rumor is that it will start sometime in late 2010, with everything complete sometime in 2012. Its supposed to take longer because instead of completely closing Fantasyland the way they did in Disneyland, its all being done in waves. So maybe Pan and Small World will go down together, followed by Snow White and PhillarMagic, followed by Pooh and Mermaid or something. That is just my speculation, however.

I really love the look of Disneyland's Fantasyland and can't wait for Disney World's to look that way too. I'm also impressed with the newer effects they added to Peter Pan and hope those are applied to WDW's ride.

Also, some people have told me that they probably won't add Disney characters to Small World because they recently did an extensive refurbishment on WDW's and the whole reason they were added at Disneyland was because they were going through and repairing and replacing things anyways, so it made sense to them to add the characters. Hopefully this report is true, but the next time the ride goes down for an extensive refurb, it might be doomed for the new additions as well.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast