• All-American

Smile A Dinner Recommendation for MarkTwain's B-day?

I'll be turning 20 on July 5, when my family and I will be staying at the WDW Resort. We'd like to celebrate this event by having a moderately-priced dinner somewhere, but without going into a park. Typically, my family and I will eat cheaply for every dinner on a trip (Riverside Grill, Land Pavilion, etc.) but spurge on a single, expensive meal (Cinderella's Royal Table, Living Seas, Nine Dragons) for the trip. As a result, I'm actually rather unfamiliar with the moderately-priced options. So where can we have a nice, celebratory dinner, at a resort or even off-property, for about $60 - $90? I'm very open to all suggestions.
    Last edited by MarkTwain; 06-19-2009 at 11:10 AM.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • How do you do?

Blog Entries

Re: A Dinner Recommendation for MarkTwain's B-day?

'Ohana at the Polynesian is 30.99 a person for a family style all you can eat meal. A great place to celebrate!

Whispering Canyon Cafe at the Wilderness Lodge is a little cheaper, a little more rowdy, but also a great place to celebrate as well.

Also, maybe going to Beaches and Cream at the Beach Club, getting just a quick diner type meal, then splurging on the Kitchen Sink sundae would be a memorable birthday meal too!
    It's a Zip-A-Dee-Doo-Dah...Tip for Today!

• All-American

Quote Originally Posted by yoyoflamingo View Post
    'Ohana at the Polynesian is 30.99 a person for a family style all you can eat meal. A great place to celebrate!

Whispering Canyon Cafe at the Wilderness Lodge is a little cheaper, a little more rowdy, but also a great place to celebrate as well.

Also, maybe going to Beaches and Cream at the Beach Club, getting just a quick diner type meal, then splurging on the Kitchen Sink sundae would be a memorable birthday meal too!
    I've eaten at Whispering Canyon, it was rowdy but fun. Thanks for the advice.

I should elaborate when I said $60 - $90, that's for 4 people. So, $15 - $23 per person would be most desirable.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • How do you do?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by MarkTwain View Post
    I've eaten at Whispering Canyon, it was rowdy but fun. Thanks for the advice.

I should elaborate when I said $60 - $90, that's for 4 people. So, $15 - $23 per person would be most desirable.
    I figured as much. Problem with Disney is that there aren't many places that have those options...that's just about Quick service prices lately!

• Diamond Edition

How many people are in your family? I'm not very experienced in eating off property, even though I live near Disney World when I'm not in school. Many of the resorts have lovely restaurants and as long as you avoid the more upscale places or buffets that charge around $40 per person, you should be able to eat within that price range for a party of 3 or 4.

I'm a big fan of the Whispering Canyon Cafe at Disney's Wilderness Lodge. The name is ironic, because the place is anything but quiet, which is part of the fun. For example, if you ask your server for ketchup, they don't bring it to you. Instead, they yell for it and guests with ketchup bring it to you, meaning you sometimes end up with 5 or more bottles. Every hour, the servers do a little show that is really funny with lots of guest interaction. They tell you to make enough noise so they can hear you at the Red Roof Inn across the lake (as they point to the Grand Floridian). At this time, they make a big deal out of birthdays. Its a really fun place to celebrate and the prices are reasonable. Disney actually has the dinner menu posted on the official website, so you can price it out ahead of time. Walt Disney World Resort

If you are looking for something lighter, Beaches and Cream is really fun at Disney's Beach Club. It's more of a small old fashioned ice cream shop with food such as sandwhiches and salads, but they have a huge selection of deserts and birthdays are really fun there as well.

If you are flexible, lunch is usually cheaper at a lot of resort restaurants as well, so maybe having a birthday lunch instead of dinner would be more feasible for you. Also, as you probably know, be sure to make a reservation well in advance. Right now, Disney is testing out letting guests make reservations for restaurants online, so if you do it during the trial period, you won't even have to call.

EDIT: I was writing this while everyone else posted, but its funny that the two places I mentioned were mentioned by everyone else.

• Hello there

Blog Entries

A moderately priced dinner for $15-$23. I am not sure. Not at that low price range. Not if this is the total bill, including meal and drink/soda. Wolfgang Puck Express will run you that. And I wouldn't really label it a moderate dinner. Spoodles and Big River Grille, depending on what you ordered would put you over this price range. And so would Whispering Canyon.

'Ohana's is a bit
    more, but I will say a terrific meal!
    Fratsor Sister - Delta Mu Chi Alpha

ΔΜΧΑ

• Internet.Serious Business

Perfect Park Acres, the latest in Hover-Burb Communities

That's a tough one. If you were talking about going into the parks, you'd be all set. The park restaurants are great for that, for 3 people you could even do the Brown Derby for that.

But off property is tough, it goes from cheap to expensive really quick.

I second the call for Whispering Canyon. But beyond that, it will be tough to find a moderate one...especially since some of them have recently closed (at the Beach Club).

However, are you up for a buffet? Someone recommended Ohanas which recently went up in price, but for a similar price to that (though I haven't been there in a 2 years, it was more my families's type of restaurant) a good birthday time could be had at Chef Mickey's or 1900 Park Fare dinner buffets.

• All-American

Good suggestions. I'll check out Whispering Canyon, with Beaches & Cream and Rainforest Cafe as good back-up options. Thanks for your help everyone.

• Defying gravity

Quote Originally Posted by yoyoflamingo View Post
    I figured as much. Problem with Disney is that there aren't many places that have those options...that's just about Quick service prices lately!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mouse princess View Post
    A moderately priced dinner for $15-$23. I am not sure. Not at that low price range. Not if this is the total bill, including meal and drink/soda.
    I disagree. Please show me a $20 quick service entree. I mostly eat in the parks, but there are definitely places in the resorts and Dtd.

All of these places have entrees that are in your price range.

Bongos:
    http://allears.net/menu/men_bon.htm

Spoodles:
    Spoodles Dinner Menu -- Boardwalk

The Wave:
    The Wave Dinner - Contemporary Resort Walt Disney World

Turf Club:
    Turf Club Bar and Grill Dinner Menu - Saratoga Springs Resort and Spa

However, I would recommend going to places for lunch instead of dinner. I know that evening meals have a more celebratory atmosphere, but you can save a lot at lunch eating similar food at smaller portions. When my family eats out, we generally order water and do not get appetizers. This isn't so much of a money issue as a portion size/health issue. Many WDW entrees are MORE than enough to share/take home. How people are able to drink a sugary drink, then eat an appetizer, huge entree and 800+ calorie desert is beyond me.

• All-American

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyPrincess4590 View Post
    I disagree. Please show me a $20 quick service entree. I mostly eat in the parks, but there are definitely places in the resorts and Dtd.

All of these places have entrees that are in your price range.

Bongos:
    http://allears.net/menu/men_bon.htm

Spoodles:
    Spoodles Dinner Menu -- Boardwalk

The Wave:
    The Wave Dinner - Contemporary Resort Walt Disney World

Turf Club:
    Turf Club Bar and Grill Dinner Menu - Saratoga Springs Resort and Spa

However, I would recommend going to places for lunch instead of dinner. I know that evening meals have a more celebratory atmosphere, but you can save a lot at lunch eating similar food at smaller portions. When my family eats out, we generally order water and do not get appetizers. This isn't so much of a money issue as a portion size/health issue. Many WDW entrees are MORE than enough to share/take home. How people are able to drink a sugary drink, then eat an appetizer, huge entree and 800+ calorie desert is beyond me.
    All excellent options. Thanks DisneyPrincess. I'll look these over with my family.

• Hello there

Blog Entries

The entrees are in the price range, but I was thinking it in terms of the total bill. If your entree + drinks + tips, or even sharing an appetizer than you are cutting it really close. I usually see the bill closer to $30 per person, from my experience.
    Fratsor Sister - Delta Mu Chi Alpha

ΔΜΧΑ

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • How do you do?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mouse princess View Post
    The entrees are in the price range, but I was thinking it in terms of the total bill. If your entree + drinks + tips, or even sharing an appetizer than you are cutting it really close. I usually see the bill closer to $30 per person, from my experience.
    Which is what I was thinking as well.

Also, Spoodles is converting to a buffet for the summer to prepare for its closing...it is converting around the beginning of July, so check before you decide on there...

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

Kona Cafe at the Polynesian.

• I was deleted.

It really depends on what you're looking at. Lunch menus are often quite similar to dinner menus, but are usually less expensive. A great example of the menu being similar is at the '50s Prime Time Cafe at Disney's Hollywood Studios. I also LOVE Spoodles and since you're looking at going on July 5th, that is right before their menu changes in preparation of kitchen modifications. I'd also look into character dining since that can be fun for birthdays: Cape May Cafe at the Beach Club, 'Ohana at the Poly, 1900 Park Fare at the Grand Floridian, Crystal Palace at MK, Tusker House at DAK, and of course Chef Mickey's at the Contemporary.