Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: River Country

• Gator Dad

Re: River Country

Quote Originally Posted by giggling_gargoyles View Post
    I also heard that some new ordinance was passed that you can't have a water park open to the public that is part of a natural body of water, so it wasn't "safe" or legal anymore and they had to close it. Someone as pictures of it circa 2006 or so that show what it looks like today. It's quite eerie.
    That's not true. Buccaneer Bay is still open at Weeki Wachee Springs outside of Brookesville and it is run directly on water from the springs and river. And in regards to a previous poster's amoeba theory, the brain-eating parasites only become prevalent in stagnant bodies of water. Any lake that has fresh water flowing into or out of it will not be affected by the notorious amoebas.

• Pilot EdForceOne

Quote Originally Posted by urbandonovan View Post
    Any lake that has fresh water flowing into or out of it will not be affected by the notorious amoebas.
    And Disney's lakes don't have any rivers, etc. They only have flood control canals that they use to control water management on the property.
    Check out my blog - Coreplex: Rambling from inside the Grid

Am I evil? yes, I am
    Am I evil? I am man, yes, I am

Quote Originally Posted by sleepyjeff View Post
    Disneyland was meant to be sipped not chug-a-lugged

• 1,200 Miles from da Mouse

Yeah it's too bad they didn't atleast keep it open for Fort Wilderness or something, it really was something unique...I only went there once, but from what I remember it was a blast despite everything being waaay outdated, felt like you were really in the backwoods of Alabama or somewhere like that at some ole' swimmin hole
    The test of success is not what you do when you are on top. Success is how high you bounce when you hit bottom.
    -George S. Patton

• All-American

But they don't even let people in the water from the beach at the Grand Floridian anymore, do they? Perhaps there is something wrong with the water they don't want people swimming with.

• I love my family!

River Country and Discovery Island were both closed after 9/11, they were simple budget cuts.

• 1,200 Miles from da Mouse

Quote Originally Posted by MarkTwain View Post
    But they don't even let people in the water from the beach at the Grand Floridian anymore, do they? Perhaps there is something wrong with the water they don't want people swimming with.

I think that has more to do with the people driving around like maniacs in the speedboats, than it does with something being wrong with the water...maybe concerns that one day someone would swim out too far and get struck by one of these people was the chief reason...that's my two cents on that...
    The test of success is not what you do when you are on top. Success is how high you bounce when you hit bottom.
    -George S. Patton

• Pilot EdForceOne

Quote Originally Posted by ORD84 View Post
    I think that has more to do with the people driving around like maniacs in the speedboats, than it does with something being wrong with the water...maybe concerns that one day someone would swim out too far and get struck by one of these people was the chief reason...that's my two cents on that...
    The swimming areas were always roped off so this wasn't an issue.

Disney doesn't allow swimming on the beaches anymore. But they do let you do water sports on top of the water. This supposedly has to do with the bacteria issue with stuff that settles on the bottom as disturbing the bottom brings it up.
    Check out my blog - Coreplex: Rambling from inside the Grid

Am I evil? yes, I am
    Am I evil? I am man, yes, I am

Quote Originally Posted by sleepyjeff View Post
    Disneyland was meant to be sipped not chug-a-lugged

• 1st visit 1975

Bay Lake is spring fed, I believe the spring is in the lake north of the Contemporary but before you get to the dry docks.

Disney recently in the last 10 years or so started pumping canal water into the lakes to maintain levels during droughts. Heaven knows what is sucked up into the lakes. Tanic acid - that brown stuff in Florida lakes, amoebas etc. I don't think those lakes are nearly as blue as they used to be.

At River Country I believe they added Bromide to the water to help clear or sanitize the water before it left RC via the short dam to Bay Lake. There used to be these short pseudo Cypress Tree "knees" in the RC lagoon where this stuff was pumped in.

The two slides in the cement pool had a huge drop. It seemed more than 5', plus the pool was 8' deep so you had to know how to swim. Even the body slides dumped you in water over your head. It was a cool place but not as tame as today's water parks.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12