• Diamond Edition

Your Dream Pleasure Island Refurb

Pleasure Island closed all of it's nightclubs over 9 months ago and Disney promised to transform the area into more shopping and dining options at Downtown Disney. Since then, only one new restaurant has opened, Paradiso 37, and the area outside of the Comedy Warehouse is used for a celebration party, done several times nightly. However, nothing else has been announced. I am curious to see what some Mice Chatters would like to see done with that area? Here are my two suggestions:

1.) Reopen The Adventurer's Club as a restaurant. Disney recently announced their expansion to Hong Kong Disneyland and as part of it, they are getting a restaurant called The Adventurer's Club, which sounds a lot like the club at Disney World except they serve food and you don't walk around from room to room getting different shows. The Adventurer's Club had a large fan following and many petitions were started to try to convince Disney to keep this one club open. If they added tables and served food, it would make money that Disney previously claimed to not be making from the location. Perhpas they could even incorporate a small show in different dining rooms every so often?

2.) Put in a Build-A-Bear Workshop in the building that previously housed Rock N' Roll Beach Club. Downtown Disney at Disneyland has one and it seems really popular. The first floor could be used for bear building, clothes, and checking out, the second floor could have more of the clothes for the bears like at Disneyland, and the third floor could be an area for birthday parties. The other Build-A-Bear in Orlando is at The Florida Mall and they didn't have enough space for a party room, so it is just tables in the center of the mall. I think this would bring in a lot of locals who want to have birthday parties at Build-A-Bear. Besides, the modern Pleasure Island could really use something that appeals to kids and the small Build-A-Dino (operated by Build-A-Bear) inside T-Rex Cafe is really popular.

The only clubs I have ever been in were the Adventurer's Club and Comedy Warehouse, so I really don't know the layout of any of the other clubs. I can't think of anything they could do with Comedy Warehouse that doesn't involve a show though. I have heard that Mannequins had a turntable, so maybe they could come up with something for that space that could utilize it? Those things are expensive and it would be sad to see it go to waste.

Hopefully some of you have some ideas?

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

Re: Your Dream Pleasure Island Refurb

Reopen Adventurer's Club, Comedy Warehouse & Mannequins... make Rock & Roll Beach club a roller disco again & play 70's & 80's tunes (roller disco 8-Trax basically).

• Diamond Edition

I think that reopening any of the clubs in their former state is pretty much out of the question. They closed Pleasure Island for two reason: a lack of income and guest complaints. When you think about it, a whole area of Downtown Disney was way too adult for a vacation destination that targets families. There are plenty of other night clubs in Orlando that adults can take a taxi to if they want. I was a big fan of the Adventurer's Club and enjoyed the Comedy Warehouse the 2 times I went, but Adventurer's Club wasn't really appropriate for families with all of the sexual innuendos. I have also witnessed plenty of innapropriate behavior in Pleasure Island just walking through to get from West Side to Marketplace or vice versa. Disney has said that none of the clubs will reopen the way they were.

• Disneylander

I loved the Adventurer's Club. It was so much fun. I think the concept could easily be retooled into a restaurant.

• I'm Theme Park Happy!

I always walked right through Pleasure Island. I did love the dance music blasting all over the place when walking through it and the vibe outside but never really went into the clubs.

Whatever replaces it I just hope to have that same music blasting out as you walk through it with your traveling party. I love outside music.

• Banned User

I will never get back to WDW but for me it was the Adventurer's Club. I loved the skits and the CMs there. It was a fun way to wind down so please bring it back. I would make it larger and better.

BAck in the beginning there may have been a need for clubs but I do not remember ever going into one. Since PI opened they have added Jellyrolls and the Boardwalk for night time entertainment. There no longer is a need for night clubs as there are new places to play.

I miss it so much but I only remember Kongaloosh and the crashing for nonalchoholic beverages then watching the shows.

Quote Originally Posted by goofystitch View Post
    I think that reopening any of the clubs in their former state is pretty much out of the question. They closed Pleasure Island for two reason: a lack of income and guest complaints. When you think about it, a whole area of Downtown Disney was way too adult for a vacation destination that targets families. There are plenty of other night clubs in Orlando that adults can take a taxi to if they want. I was a big fan of the Adventurer's Club and enjoyed the Comedy Warehouse the 2 times I went, but Adventurer's Club wasn't really appropriate for families with all of the sexual innuendos. I have also witnessed plenty of innapropriate behavior in Pleasure Island just walking through to get from West Side to Marketplace or vice versa. Disney has said that none of the clubs will reopen the way they were.
    You said "Dream Pleasure Island Refurb", so I shared my "dream refurb". And since it's a "dream", I don't have to look at it realistically. I do it how I want it and can be as outrageous as I want.

• mannequins man

Mannequins was fine just the way it was. I was a regular there for its 19 year life, or there abouts. It was only redecorated once - they changed the mannequins that hung from the walls - they originally had costumes representing various character typologies (phantom of the opera, tinkerbell, but generic) and the dance floor was a giant turntable. There was also a stage with venetian blinds as a curtain and performers. Earlier, the show was always the phantom of the opera dance mix. Later, the show become "freeze pose" performers (like mannequins) in outlandish costumes. Thursdays were the best there, and I would always see people I knew in there. I'm sure it was not very busy the other days of the week. Ah, memories.

• Banned User

I really never cared much for Pleasure Island... as I did not find it to be something that was out of the ordinary or specific to Disney. Clubs and restaurants are everywhere... and the only thing Disney could do to improve it was.. theming it right. However, not even the theming at PI was inspired. Personally, I think the ambiance at DTD in CA's DLR is much much classier and pleasant than what we got here in Orlando.
    So to answer the main question.. only a major revamp of the theming, look, and atmosphere of DTD, PI and West End at WDW would make it more appealing to me. Plus, with Virgin off the property.. a Tower Records would be a great addition that would make me consider going back regularly. Other than that... PI is just a dead albatros.. and should be totally overhauled with just a Mannequins and/or Adventurers Club remaining. Everything else was simply "too much of a simple thing".

One more thing.. take down that stupid and overpriced baloon ride. Looks like a badly sored thumb in the middle of DTD.

TDLFAN, Tower Records went under a few years back.

And I still say a roller disco would be awesome. Make it like Xanadu or something. LOL!

• Banned User

My Dream Refurb of Pleasure Island
    by
    Laurie

If I could magically do anything I wanted then I would return Pleasure Island back to the way it was when it was in 1998 when I was last there. I would add a section of various clubs and places so that people could go there and relive the past of Pleasure Island.

I miss it very much but never got back. I would love to go back to 1990 or 2005 and see the place as it was once long ago.

End of my report.

As stated I think its use is over and it will become a shopping mall with a few restaurants.

I only got to visit Mannequins once, back in 2001. My friend & I had a blast watching the drunk people nearly fall on their tails when they attempted to get on the rotating dance floor. Though we weren't amused when a couple of uber-geeks from Norway tried hitting on/stalking us.

• Surfin the net with Duffy

Record stores are dead!

And I totally agree TDLFAN, I think the DD at DLR is much classier. There are more strip malls in Orlando that look nicer than DD at WDW.

Bringing the Love since January 10, 2011
    We were sent over there with the message that only we would defend Disney quality.. We learnt quickly that the Japanese culture speaks to a level of quality that is hard to comprehend. They were all unbelievably skilled and willing to do the right thing.
    Craig Russell -Walt Disney Imagineering