Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

Retire 'purple' as a monorail color out of respect

Anyone else think that WDW should retire 'PURPLE' as a monorail color out of respect?

• Diamond Edition

Re: Retire 'purple' as a monorail color out of respect

I don't really have an opinion either way. I can see why they might. I mean, flight numbers are often retired after plane crashes. However, Disneyland didn't retire the I.M. Brave train on Big Thunder Mountain after an incident killed one and injured several. And all 12 monorail colors are sort of iconic, just like the name "I.M. Brave" was. I guess only time will tell.

• Senior Minion

Interesting
    Marquis d'Bod of the RCMC... always and forever

• Collision speed....FULL!

Quote Originally Posted by goofystitch View Post
    I don't really have an opinion either way. I can see why they might. I mean, flight numbers are often retired after plane crashes. However, Disneyland didn't retire the I.M. Brave train on Big Thunder Mountain after an incident killed one and injured several. And all 12 monorail colors are sort of iconic, just like the name "I.M. Brave" was. I guess only time will tell.
    They did change the number of the BTMRR train, the one that was in the incident.

• I'm Theme Park Happy!

I understand the feelings about this and the idea that there's a milllion plus colors out there to replace purple....

but I don't think they will. We all know there will be changes to how the monorails operate but no dice on color change.

• Im Monsters Incorporated!

i wouldnt be uspet if they retired purple..but i dont really see any reason to..no offense haha

• I see mouse people

Blog Entries

I'd vote no.

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Starcruiser.. crash crash

No, I wouldn't retire it. Not for one pilot. I know that may sound mean and cold hearted but they're going to have to operate with one less monorail? or build a brand new one? It's just not practical.

Visit my mice chat toy shop!
    http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by FrankieD View Post
    Anyone else think that WDW should retire 'PURPLE' as a monorail color out of respect?
    I believe the entire monorail system at WDW, as it exists today, should be retired. It's an old albatross system that is simply outdated and in major need of refurbishing. They need an entire new fleet of monorails, with major upgrades at each station, both in theming and functionality, and they need to eliminate the human factor and make the system as fully automated as possible. In short... make it more like the automated Tokyo Disney Resort Line monorail system.

• I eat TR's for breakfast!

I personally think this is a great idea and an opportunity for Disney World to pay respect and mark it's history, whether it be happy or sad.

• With The Brain Of A Bird

I don't think they would need to take the entire train out of service as some have suggested. But out of respect for both drivers (Pink & Purple) I agree that they should retire the colors. I know if I were waiting to board a monorail and Pink or Purple pulled into the station I would board them, but the colors would remind me of the tragedy they were involved in and it would be a sad ride.

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

Quote Originally Posted by TDLFAN View Post
    I believe the entire monorail system at WDW, as it exists today, should be retired. It's an old albatross system that is simply outdated and in major need of refurbishing. They need an entire new fleet of monorails, with major upgrades at each station, both in theming and functionality, and they need to eliminate the human factor and make the system as fully automated as possible. In short... make it more like the automated Tokyo Disney Resort Line monorail system.
    I pretty much agree with this. The current WDW monorails have been in use since 1989... that's 20 years. They're old. I would love to see a redesign like the new DL monorails. They're beautiful and futuristic looking. But I'm sure that will never happen because of the problems they've had with them out west since day one.

I'm not sure I'd be too keen on an automated system though. Sure it work in Tokyo, but they're perfectionists in Tokyo and they keep their system always running in top shape. The monorail in Las Vegas is automated and I remember an incident where people were trapped on a monorail for several hours because it lost power.

• Little Miss Sunshine

I wouldn't retire the monorail - I'd rather see the money (that would go to a new monorail) put into better safety, better pay for drivers, and maybe a memorial fund that goes to the charity that the man who died supported.

Most people who ride will not realize what monorail they are going into. I don't even think about it (as far as what color the stripe is). But perhaps those who do can use it as a moment of reflection for what happened, and what didn't have to happen.
    Denise

www.mousesteps.com

Favorite TDL Typo:

I think it will give more pipping pervs the reason needed to go parasailing
    on Bay Lake.

• Mostly Harmless.

Yeah... I'm gonna have to second that opinion.
    He felt like his life was some kind of dream and he sometimes wondered whose it was and whether they were enjoying it.
    follow us on Twitter! @MickeyMutineers
    DisregardListen to our podcast on iTunes!

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Coheteboy View Post
    No, I wouldn't retire it. Not for one pilot. I know that may sound mean and cold hearted but they're going to have to operate with one less monorail? or build a brand new one? It's just not practical.
    They could just paint it.
    The fleet is fine, theres no need to change it.
    Marquis d'Bod of the RCMC... always and forever

Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast