Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

• Banned User

The Hall of Boooooos

OK. Finally went to see the newly revamped version of the Hall of Presidents. I wanted to offer a nice review of the show, which in my honest opinion was "ok". However, I am not going to do that. Instead, I will just offer a quick opinion of the guests watching the show. PLEASE GROW UP!!!

How come there is no applause when Lincoln stands up and offers the newly remastered speech from DL's Great Moments show.. or when stirring moments of equality and freedom of speech are presented on the screen..?? but, why oh why do people feel the need to applaud, cheer or (in today's case) also "boo" and hiss when some of the presidents are introduced on stage? I know there are a lot of opinions and feeling about the state of politics and some presidents' capabilities in the past 25 some years or so in this country of ours, but must we be disrespectful of everyone else's right to enjoy the show for what it is, no matter how ludicrous or tacky or profound it can be.. without having to cheer/boo/hiss at some of the respective presidents on stage when introduced by name?

Enough of this crap. It will be at least another 4 years (or another new president taking oath) before I set foot in the Hall of Presidents once again. It just make me sick that most people do not have the decency of remaining silent out of respect to the audience as a whole, or for the integrity of the show and any particular president highlighted on stage. behavior like the one experienced today is reason why I would prefer the Disney company kept politics and reality outside of their Disney parks. I know they are well intentioned and I for one am glad that someone at Disney still deems it necesary for the parks to offer this type of presentation, but really.. the question for me remains.. do typical guests really deserve this treat? I think not.

• Hopper's Mortal Enemy

Cool Re: The Hall of Boooooos

I get your point, but when you introduce people like Richard Nixon and James Buchanan, it's hardly surprising that there are boos.

A bientot.
    Remember
    What the dormouse said
    Feed your head!

You've read it; you can't unread it!

Re: The Hall of Boooooos

I've only been in the Hall of Presidents once, last May, and although I hadn't even heard about this problem, I was worried the audience would react in such a way. To my surprise, there were no politically motivated boos or cheers. Then again, the...errrrr....rambunctious child sitting next to us might have distracted us from rude audience members.

My take on this - Disney should wait until a President is out of office before installing them in the Hall of Presidents. This has a number of benefits. I see the current president all the time on TV. I hear his voice every day. So seeing an animatronic of the the current president isn't nearly as magical as seeing an animatronic of a past president. Presidents can then "retire" to the Hall of Presidents after their administration is over. Beyond being good show and preserving an atmopshere of escaping the modern, real world, such an arrangement would hopefully avoid current political issues. Of course that won't stop jerks from cheering or jeering past presidents they don't like, but them more current the issue, the more tempers tend to flare.

You gotta admit, we've had some pretty rotten Presidents.

• MiceChat Administrator
    • Man of mystery and

Blog Entries

I like the idea of waiting until a president is out of office to introduce them (great suggestion Bob).

Also, as TDLFAN mentions, the problem with the booing doesn't really happen during the main part of the show. It happens during the roll-call at the end.

Perhaps they should drop the roll-call and find other ways to work the presidents into the show so the audience doesn't feel compelled to add their own soundtrack

That or play rousing music with trumpets blaring after the mention of each president so you can't hear the boos.
    Find us on Facebook:

How do you support MiceChat? Join MiceChat GOLD!,

Lakeland Florida......40 minutes from WDW.

I saw the HoP on July 4th. There were no boos nor cheers during the roll call whatsoever.....and the audience was about 90% capacity.
    Rod

.....a dawn for new awareness........(S.B. Anthony, American Adventure, Epcot)

This is my take on why they should keep the whole "adding the current new president as a speaking AA every four to eight years" as I expressed in in the Yesterland thread:

"While I can sort of understand why some people would want to do away with the speeches-by-contemporary-therefore-potentially-contentious-presidents practise, I'd like to see them keep it up, if only for one reason:

After only a couple of presidents doing it, it's become almost accepted by the White House as being a routine presidential "duty": you know, "get sworn in, name your cabinet, record speech for animatronic version of self in Hall of Presidents."
    It's pretty much got to the point where Disney can just call the president's staff and say, "so when can the president record his House Of Presidents speech, as is... um, you know... 'tradition'?" and receive a reply more like "oh, right, of course!" rather than "why should we bother? It's not exactly in the constitution, you know..."

That aspect of it appeals to me, so I'd say it would be a shame to give it up.

• Member of Baxter's Army

There are (insert insulting phrase here) people out there.

•   
      MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • PEZZ in the Fez

I don't know. I'm still pretty ticked off at that Calvin Coolidge...

People should just show respect (like TDLFAN says) for the audience and also for the office of the President itself.

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Starcruiser.. crash crash

TDLFan probably reacted the same way I do every time I go on Haunted Mansion. Can I get ONE experience without someone reciting it along with the ride? Please?? Just one?

But back to the point... it was just an 'ok' update?

Visit my mice chat toy shop!
    http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

• Beach Expert

A beach town that Harbor Blvd was named after

I'm assuming the CM gives a spiel before the show starts. Wouldn't a simple, "Please remain silent throughout the entire presentation." be such a bad thing? I know in DL before the 50th movie they asked people to silence their cell phones.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Dustysage View Post
    I like the idea of waiting until a president is out of office to introduce them (great suggestion Bob).
    I also like that idea. Very much.

Also, as TDLFAN mentions, the problem with the booing doesn't really happen during the main part of the show. It happens during the roll-call at the end.
    Everything was wonderful until the roll call started and Reagan's turn came up. At that time.. there was applause from some members of the audience.. but as soon as Bush Sr's name was called, the counter reaction started... with W Bush getting the loudest boos, while Clinton and Obama getting very enthusiastic applause. Either way, I felt embarrased by the whole thing. I just wish guests were mature enough to put their differences aside and just enjoy the show, especially since Disney did a pretty decent job revamping the show...while paying tribute to the original "Great Moments with Mr. Lincoln" presentation.

• Closed Account

I just wish guests were mature enough to put their differences aside and just enjoy the show,

With WDW' "were going out of business!! Don't pay more" Pricing do you think we're gonna get "adult" behavior? Um, you haven't been to MK enough since Jan.!

This is why we don't introduce modern politics into the parks.

I personally would boo, but not out loud. I hate Obama and I hate Bush... and every other politician.
    DisneyTwins
    Since May 2003

• Banned User

^^^Like I have said before.. I would love to see this and other political based/history based shows off Disney parks for good but that is not the case since Disney is mostly a republican friendly company and you know how seriously they take their "patriotism and liberty" and what have you. Tough to show the old dog new tricks. Reason why these shows are there, albeit, they are well done and appreciated by most of us... but the booing and the applause just damages the entire experience for me.

Quote Originally Posted by JCSkipr79 View Post
    I just wish guests were mature enough to put their differences aside and just enjoy the show,

With WDW' "were going out of business!! Don't pay more" Pricing do you think we're gonna get "adult" behavior? Um, you haven't been to MK enough since Jan.!
    As a matter of fact.. I have been to the MK (and TDR as well) at least 3 times monthly since january, so I think I know what is going on at the parks.. reason why criticism comes easily, but do not blame me for trying to be a bit more optimistic about what I would like to see happening at the parks. I know the "walmartization" of the WDW parks and resorts have created this monster of a quality drop.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast