Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

• Diamond Edition

Re: 5th Disney World Theme Park

Are you talking about that area on Seven Seas Lagoon across from Contemporary in this picture? I could maybe see there being room there, but then it couldn't be on the monorail line. Or are you talking about the weird shaped stretch of land South of the water bridge that connects Seven Seas Lagoon with Bay Lake?
    http://www.hiddenmickeys.org/Images/Remote/WDW/bl22.jpg
    http://www.hiddenmickeys.org/Images/Remote/WDW/bl32.jpg
    The swamp on the land on Seven Seas Lagoon South of the water bridge is big and visible enough on this satellite photo, but they could have still done something with it. Have you ever been to Coronado Springs? They dug dirt out of the swamp to build the land around it and turned the swamp into a lake. If Disney really had their hearts set on building a resort there, they could have done something similar, or also pushed the land from the lake in to push the swamp water out. There is a lot they can do, so saying that land is "too swampy" is no excuse. It's a swamp, not an Everglade.

And out of all the Imagineering books I've read about Disney World and it's resorts, this is still the first I have ever heard of Disney having resorts planned for that plot of land or themed to the Venetians or the Mediterranean. And if they really wanted those themes, why didn't they build them elsewhere?
    Last edited by NeverNeverland; 07-08-2009 at 03:08 PM. Reason: hotlinked pictures removed

• Golden State of Mind

Quote Originally Posted by goofystitch View Post
    And out of all the Imagineering books I've read about Disney World and it's resorts, this is still the first I have ever heard of Disney having resorts planned for that plot of land or themed to the Venetians or the Mediterranean. And if they really wanted those themes, why didn't they build them elsewhere?
    Oil Crisis......
    Marquis d'Bod of the RCMC... always and forever

• Diamond Edition

But construction of resorts resumed after the oil crisis, did they not? I'm not saying you guys are wrong, but I'd like to see a reliable source (and Jim Hill is not a reliable source).

• Golden State of Mind

The 1973 oil crisis scrapped 3 hotels, by the time they were out of it Disney was on to bigger and better things.... and then yes consrtuction did resume, ever hear of The Floridian or the Wilderness Lodge?

I'm sure this will blow your mind.....

http://www.wdwhistory.com/mediawiki/index.php?title=Disney's_Venetian_Resort
    Last edited by Maverick; 07-08-2009 at 02:17 PM.

Yeah their was definitely a resort to go in that exact area. 3 resorts were scrapped. It was pretty well known.
    -Tyler

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by KISSman View Post
    None.

Seriously though, it's not that I wouldn't want a 5th park, but WDW would benefit more from fleshing out their existing parks than investing in another park.

I could see how there could be a need for a 3rd park in Anaheim once DCA is fixed, but I'd prefer to see another 'land' and additional attractions in the Magic Kingdom, some major attractions installed into the World Showcase in Epcot and a few more attractions each in DHS and AK.

Whle DL and DCA are almost both maxed out in real estate space, all of the WDW parks could continue to expand and I'd much prefer that instead of Park #5.
    Absolutely. I'd be more inclined to go back if the existing parks seemed refreshed with new lands and attractions. The first time I went, it was because there was "so much more than ever before." All the new stuff drew me to see Disney World - even though I had never seen what was there before, to begin with.

• Diamond Edition

Thanks for the link, Maverick, but the sources are a forum on WDW Magic and a blog on Mouse Planet. One link from that blog shows "unreleased postcard art" that claims to be from a very rare book that was sold at the preview center, but you can clearly see that each of the photos have been doctored. Check it out for yourself by clicking here.

Does anybody have a real and legitimate source for this information? One that a college professor would accept on a research paper? If not, then I will continue to believe that this was just a rumor that some fanboy started.
    Last edited by goofystitch; 07-08-2009 at 02:37 PM. Reason: Updated link

• Diamond Edition

I found a model of the resort that does prove that they did plan a Persian, Asian, and Venetian resort. I am convinced now.
    http://www.bigbrian-nc.com/PREOPENING/029MAP.jpg
    However, I still don't believe that the land was "too swampy" to build on. I know, I know. A road isn't as heavy as a resort or a park, but they can do enough with moving dirt to build wherever they want. Heck, the whole reason that the Seven Seas Lagoon even exists is so that they could have the dirt to build Magic Kingdom on, which was a former swamp.

Plus, to anyone who has ever waited to get on the resort monorail at Grand Floridian during peak times, I'd like to wish them luck if Disney ever did add another resort to the line.
    Last edited by NeverNeverland; 07-08-2009 at 03:09 PM. Reason: hotlinked picture removed

• Golden State of Mind

Hahahaha hey as long as you're convinced I'm happy!

I guess the idea is that Disney could do it if they wanted, but they just didn't want too?

• Diamond Edition

If they ever did a Disney World version of Disney Seas, maybe the Mediterranean concept would be used as a resort in that area? Possibly like the Mira Costa, which has rooms that face into the park.

And I've heard from a friend who is usually in the know about these kinds of things that Disney has basically set aside two plots of land for future parks, meaning that the maximum number of parks they plan on ever having is 6. Both would go on the large plot of land to the West of World Dr. between Coronado Springs and TTC.

• Golden State of Mind

One can only hope

And I've heard from a friend who is usually in the know about these kinds of things that Disney has basically set aside two plots of land for future parks, meaning that the maximum number of parks they plan on ever having is 6. Both would go on the large plot of land to the West of World Dr. between Coronado Springs and TTC.
    Even though its not likely in the near future (like next 10 or 20 years), im sure Disney will eventually imagine up a new park. This leaves me with an interesting question in my mind: will the Walt Disney Company ever seize to exist, i mean nothing lasts forever right?

Quote Originally Posted by Frank_The_Tank View Post
    Even though its not likely in the near future (like next 10 or 20 years), im sure Disney will eventually imagine up a new park. This leaves me with an interesting question in my mind: will the Walt Disney Company ever seize to exist, i mean nothing lasts forever right?
    I always wonder the exact same thing! Will Disney ever end?
    -Tyler

Why For did WDW's Asian, Venetian and Persian resorts never get built?

Last edited by SummerInFL; 07-12-2009 at 06:51 AM. Reason: Link Removed

If they ever did a Disney World version of Disney Seas, maybe the Mediterranean concept would be used as a resort in that area? Possibly like the Mira Costa, which has rooms that face into the park.

It is true that the land was too swampy. They actually wanted to go ahead with construction on the plot of land between the TTC and Contemporary. Every time they would put a pylon in the ground to sure it up for construction, it would sink and was never heard from again.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast