Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• Mostly Harmless.

What can Disney World do different???

Just a thought for discussion... What could WDW do differently? I know that these are tough financial times, but I think that throwing some money into the parks would be a good idea. Bring attractions up to par/former glory, get a janitorial staff that can keep up with the overflowing trash cans and add some (preferably "E" ticket) attractions.
    Besides adding a loop... is there anything else?
    He felt like his life was some kind of dream and he sometimes wondered whose it was and whether they were enjoying it.
    follow us on Twitter! @MickeyMutineers
    DisregardListen to our podcast on iTunes!

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • How do you do?

Blog Entries

Re: What can Disney World do different???

Quote Originally Posted by Coastierox View Post
    Just a thought for discussion... What could WDW do differently? I know that these are tough financial times, but I think that throwing some money into the parks would be a good idea. Bring attractions up to par/former glory, get a janitorial staff that can keep up with the overflowing trash cans and add some (preferably "E" ticket) attractions.
    Not just adding attractions, but QUALITY attractions. I wouldn't even mind some C or D tickets, as long as they had some quality to them. All of the parks are long overdue for some new attractions, but MK and DAK I think need them the most.

Stop with DVC. It's not the best kept secret. Use that money for other things.

Don't sit on your laurels. Even if you claim to be the most visited, doesn't mean you can't upgrade, expand, refresh. Constant refurbs might make people unhappy, but then you don't have to close your E-Tickets for a year just to keep them from killing anyone.

Stop expanding with more hotels (though finish POP Century) and stop cheapening the brand. Flamingo Crossing.

Don't be REACTIVE. Be PROACTIVE. Harry Potter should not be something you ignore; it should have been a spur once the announcement was made to develop something as grand to open before. And market the hell out of it.

Don't ignore the fans. Learn from Disneyland by embracing the fans. Celebrate the milestones and don't rely on fans to celebrate each anniversary or birthday.

That's all I can think of right now. As most of us do, I LOVE WDW, but following these steps could bring it back to the glory that has been slowly eroding over time.
    It's a Zip-A-Dee-Doo-Dah...Tip for Today!

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by yoyoflamingo View Post
    Not just adding attractions, but QUALITY attractions. I wouldn't even mind some C or D tickets, as long as they had some quality to them. All of the parks are long overdue for some new attractions, but MK and DAK I think need them the most.

Don't sit on your laurels. Even if you claim to be the most visited, doesn't mean you can't upgrade, expand, refresh. Constant refurbs might make people unhappy, but then you don't have to close your E-Tickets for a year just to keep them from killing anyone.

Stop expanding with more hotels (though finish POP Century) and stop cheapening the brand. Flamingo Crossing.

Don't be REACTIVE. Be PROACTIVE. Harry Potter should not be something you ignore; it should have been a spur once the announcement was made to develop something as grand to open before. And market the hell out of it.

Don't ignore the fans. Learn from Disneyland by embracing the fans. Celebrate the milestones and don't rely on fans to celebrate each anniversary or birthday.

That's all I can think of right now. As most of us do, I LOVE WDW, but following these steps could bring it back to the glory that has been slowly eroding over time.
    I agree completely. My main problem with WDW is how it feels like they do the least amount of work possible to keep ahead of Universal. DL is way more fan friendly, wheras WDW is more focused on occasional guests. All the parks need major expansion.

MK needs a new E-Ticket and needs some good D-Ticket replacements for MILF and Stitch!.

Epcot needs to return to its former glory in Future World with more old school style attractions like Horizons. World Showcase needs an E-Tickets, plus a couple of solid D-Tickets.

DHS definately needs the Star Tours upgrade that DL and TDL are getting. They also need a new E-Ticket and a couple of solid D-Tickets.

DAK needs alot more. There needs to be far less empty space where there is nothing to see or do. DAK needs at least two new E-Tickets. One should be something revolutionary like POTC, Haunted Mansion, Space Mountain, Indiana Jones Adventure, and the Matterhorn were when they first opened.

• Senior Minion

I love how WDW gets ragged on more than even DCA
    Marquis d'Bod of the RCMC... always and forever

Quote Originally Posted by yoyoflamingo View Post

+1

To add some things....

1.) Update of rides such as Great Movie Ride, MuppetVision 3D and Star Tours. These rides especially should constantly be evolving, the allure of the attractions fade over time. I would even throw in Indiana Jones Stunt Spectacular-at least update it with a scene from temple of doom, last crusade or kotcs. Instead of E-ticket attractions, just update current shows.

2.) refurb of Tommorowland, i'm talking new attractions and shows that really explore the idea of Tommorowland. Let's please elimate the pixarification of this land.

3.) turn studios back into a working studios again. What made the park so special was the feeling of hollywood or a working studios on the east coast. Disney channel shows and original movies should be filmed at studios. At the very least be creative by actually filming "fake" movies that guests can be apart of during park hours.

4.) Be interactive-this is a digital age and if Walt were alive he would be at the forefront of interactive media and social networking in the park. Disney has shown some progress with the Kim Possible challenge at Epcot but they could do so much more at minimal cost to truly enhance the Disney experience.

5.) Come up with more frequent and creative promotions. Something that celebrates Disney and brings families and individuals to the parks. Off the top of my hand what about a promotion like "When Were You Disney" that asks people to identify the moment when they become a fan-was it a movie, character, park, tv show? This is synergy that also acknowledges Disney's past.
    Pass out buttons or stickers to individuals that come to the park of when they became Disney-promote it through social networking sites.

Most of all be proactive and not reactive, don't rest on your laurels and keep moving forward.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • How do you do?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Pete's Dragon View Post
    +1

To add some things....

2.) refurb of Tommorowland, i'm talking new attractions and shows that really explore the idea of Tommorowland. Let's please elimate the pixarification of this land.
    PLEASE bring back Timekeeper!!
    It's a Zip-A-Dee-Doo-Dah...Tip for Today!

• Banned User

How about ditching Stitch and New Management and bringing back the far superior attractions they replaced?

And I couldn't agree more on the need to bring Star Tours 2.0 to WDW. Keeping the old one would be an UNBELIEVABLY MORONIC, PENNY PINCHING AND SHORT SIGHTED DECISION (but if you send me a PM, I'll tell you how I really feel).

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Maverick View Post
    I love how WDW gets ragged on more than even DCA
    At least they are trying to improve DCA, WDW doesn't even realize that there are problems with any of their parks.

Blog Entries

If I were somehow miraculously thrown in charge of WDW and given the freedom to do whatever I wanted with the parks my first acts of office would be:

1. Hire more custodial staff so that the parks are constantly at their cleanest. I don't want to walk through and see overflowing trashcans anywhere at any time.

2. Bump up the maintenance budget so that effects don't sit broken for long amounts of time when unnecessary. Also make sure lights aren't burned out for long periods of time. If there already isn't someone in this position, I'd hire a quality control person for each park (if not 2) who's job it is to walk the park, ride the rides, and visit the shows and report back on non-working effects, burned out lights, overflowing trash and who would have the authority to follow up on their issues to make sure they've been fixed.

3. Immediately begin an aggressive refurbishment process over the next 1-2 years where all the older, aging attractions are updated to today's standards (no more of the TDO cutting back that we've seen recently). My belief is that if a refurb is worth doing, its worth doing right. On top of that refurbs would rotate like they do in Tokyo. There would always be one ride closed and under refurb to make sure they're all clean and working right so that long extended rehabs could be fairly rare.

4. Greenlight the addition of the Little Mermaid to Fantasyland as well as the refurbishment of all facades.

5. At Epcot I would make immediate pushes to fix the ending to SSE first, then greenlight an update to the entire imagination pavilion. I'd also build more of a focus of education back in the parks. I don't mind rides just being fun like Nemo, but I would make sure that inside the pavilions that there would be plenty of "education" CMs on staff giving demos, answering questions, etc... I'd also start a 5 year plan to bring something into the old Wonders of Life building.

6. DAK would have Dinoland reimagined. Gone would be the carny rides and instead a quality C ticket dark ride or two would take their place. I'd also start considering a 5 year plan to bring in Mysterious Island to the park.

7. DHS would be a headache. This is the park with no direction so I'd push to have its image remade. It would be broken up into three or 4 distinct lands. You'd have the Hollywood that never was (with a refurbishment to the GMR), You'd have Lucasland with the revamped Star Tours and something new featuring Indiana Jones. And then Pixarland with the monster's inc coaster and begin considering putting in the big radiator springs attraction from DCA.

• Diamond Edition

A lot of good points have been made on here, but I think you all need to consider something and that is the average guest at Disney World compared to Disneyland. At Disneyland, the guests seem to have a decent body of knowledge about Disney and the park they are visiting. At Disney World, everyone seems to know the characters and a few of the movies... and nothing else. You see and meet some of the stupidest people there. That being said, I think that there is a lot that could be done, but at the end of the day I don't think it would increase their attendance, which is what they really care about when they look at what to spend money on.

At Magic Kingdom, it would be nice to see Stitch's Great Escape go the way of Alien Encounter. I don't want Alien Encounter to return either. It was downright terrifying, had no place in Magic Kingdom, and was the most complained about ride in Disney history. I actually enjoy Monsters Inc. Laugh Floor and guests seem to as well. I think the heavily rumored Fantasyland refurb will do a lot for the park, especially if some new rides come with it, such as The Little Mermaid, Beauty and the Beast, and the Seven Dwarfs Mine. Aside from that, they seem to be taking care of the park pretty well. They routinely repaint and repair facades and their refurb schedule is pretty good. It's unfortunate that a ride like Space Mountain is closed for so long, but they are also doing a lot to it and it shouldn't need a long refurb again for a very long time.

I think Epcot is pretty much fine the way it is. The main thing I would like to see happen is a redo of Journey into Imagination that comes closer to the spirit and tone of the original attraction. It would also be nice to see them do something with Wonders of Life, but I don't really want another thrill ride there. They have two and Epcot was never meant to be a thrilling park. Thrill rides belong at DHS and DAK.

I think that Hollywood Studios is coming along nicely. In the past 2 years, they've added 2 attractions (Toy Story Midway Mania and American Idol Experience). for 2012, it is heavily rumored that the Monster's Inc. coaster will expand Pixar Place closer to the Backlot Tour. I would like to see the Backlot Tour close because aside from Catastrophe Canyon, it is no longer interesting. They could build another ride on that space and have the entrance be where Prince Caspian is now (that thing needs to go as well). And if the park does get Star Tours 2, then they really are doing a lot. I agree that The Great Movie Ride could use an enhancement or two, but I don't want to see the whole thing change. The one area in particular that I would replace is Alien, but that is a personal opinion because I don't think that movie is "great." They could pick a better science fiction film to go in that scene, one that doesn't make kids cry in order to get to Oz.

Animal Kingdom is probably the park I would focus on the most if I were in charge. It is a gorgeous park with some great entertainment offerings, but there is just a handful. In terms of attractions, there are 6 ride (Kilimanjaro Safaris, Kali River Rapids, Expedition Everest, Triceratops Spin, Primeval Whirl, and Dinosaur), 3 shows (Flights of Wonder, Festival of the Lion King, Finding Nemo: The Musical), and 2 walking trails with animals. If I were them, I would relocate Lion King to Africa and level Camp Minnie Mickey. There have been many proposed lands that could go here, including Beastly Kingdom, Australia, or something we haven't even heard of yet. At any rate, they need to add things to do, which is my main point.

Outside of the parks, I think they need to stop building resorts because it seems like they can't fill the ones they have in this economy and I would like to see something nice happen to Pleasure Island. I'm glad that the clubs closed, but its weird walking through it now. I would like to see them put a Build-A-Bear in and turn the Adventurer's Club into a restaurant using the current theme. They could make a nice coffee bar out of the Soundstage Club as well.

I agree with a lot of what is said here. Don't get me wrong, I mean of course I LOVE Disney World. The Magic Kingdom was my first Disney park and being from NJ, WDW is the resort I will most likely frequent in the future, but lately I do feel like WDW has gotten the shaft. I feel like they are putting all their money into DVC villas - those members really get the good treatment. Well what about the people who can't afford to be in the DVC, but are just as much Disney fans?

Reading about all this exciting stuff going on at the Disneyland Resort, I am already planning on making my next Disney trip there around 2012-2013.

• Banned User

I think you already know what WDW can do to improve itself... based on what I see in your post. But I will add this much: they can provide better training and brainwashing during Traditions. I notice many CMs just do not care much to be there and do not seem to apply themselves as much in regards to exceeding customers' expectations. Many though meet that standard, but when you take in consideration most of the guests are on vacation and out to have fun, seems to me they will accept "normal" job performance as 'exceptional', which it ain't. On the other hand.. many seem to forget that no matter what "part" they "play", they are required to go the extra mile...like picking up trash from the walkways, looking the part they are playing.. etc etc, and that aspect of being a CM "on stage" just doesn't happen much now a days... reason why the overall WDW is not up to what it should be.

• Mostly Harmless.

Quote Originally Posted by TDLFAN View Post
    I think you already know what WDW can do to improve itself... based on what I see in your post. But I will add this much: they can provide better training and brainwashing during Traditions. I notice many CMs just do not care much to be there and do not seem to apply themselves as much in regards to exceeding customers' expectations. Many though meet that standard, but when you take in consideration most of the guests are on vacation and out to have fun, seems to me they will accept "normal" job performance as 'exceptional', which it ain't. On the other hand.. many seem to forget that no matter what "part" they "play", they are required to go the extra mile...like picking up trash from the walkways, looking the part they are playing.. etc etc, and that aspect of being a CM "on stage" just doesn't happen much now a days... reason why the overall WDW is not up to what it should be.
    I think that goes back to being a generational problem. These kids don't want to get their hands dirty and they do not want to play as a team. There is no more pride in workmanship or in a job. But yes the company can place an emphasis (thank God for spell check) on what they expect from the CMs... or do they simply not expect much?
    He felt like his life was some kind of dream and he sometimes wondered whose it was and whether they were enjoying it.
    follow us on Twitter! @MickeyMutineers
    DisregardListen to our podcast on iTunes!

• Banned User

I think that goes back to being a generational problem. These kids don't want to get their hands dirty and they do not want to play as a team. There is no more pride in workmanship or in a job. But yes the company can place an emphasis (thank God for spell check) on what they expect from the CMs... or do they simply not expect much?
    You are making excuses for slackers and bad CMs (you know who you are on these boards...tisk tisk) who are there for the benefits (like free park admission and discounts) and not for the love of the brand. That is the problem.. cheap pay, cheap labor. But I will agree... culture has a part in this problem..reason why TDR has the very best and most efficient CMs of any Disney park.. because the japanese youth *work*, unlike the new generations of americans out there..

If I were in charge he first thing I would do is get rid of FastPass.

Next I would add some new attractions to the Magic Kingdom and re-do the facades in Fantasyland similar to that in the style of Disneylan'd Fantasyland. I would also see the Little Mermaid attraction added and Pinocchios Daring Journey. perhaps even bringing back Mr.Toad.

A Complete re-do of Tomorrowland back to something that looked futuristic lie it did before the current version.

De Wal-Mart Main Street, or at the very least get some variety in ALL the shops like they used to have.

At EPCOT
    Add the Rhine River ride in EPCOT that the buidling was built to hold, add a few more countires plus maybe build the once planned Mount Fuji thrill ride in the japan area

At DHS
    Scrap the Backlot Tour in fvor of an expansion of Pixar Place, add the Monsters Inc ride like the one in Japan, or the roller coaster style ride that is rumoured, a few smaller rides like the ones in Paris. replace the Indiana Jones Stunt show with something new or in keeping Indiana Jones, build an updated Indiana Jones ride instead. Get Star Tours updated

At DAK, Get Beastly Kingdom built. Revamp Dinoland with a Jurassic Park style ride or something similar, maybe a few good C or D rides throughout the park as well.

Outside the Parks
    Make the Pop century Resort the full century it was planned to be, that means finishing the resort. Put the huge Bowling Center planned for the Wide World of Sports back on track. Reopen some of the clubs on Pleasure Island

I have tons of other ideas, these are just a few. At the same time though I would also re-think the pay structure of the cast, many of whom are barely making poverty level wages. You want quality people, but when you pay less than the local McDonald's, well, you get what you pay for.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast