Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Capturing the Blue Fairy

Greetings everyone. I'm back online after a very long absence. It's taken much longer than I originally anticipated going through all of my pictures and getting them ready for online publishing. That pesky real world kept getting in the way. But finally after six months, they are now ready to share.

Having reached the limits of what I felt my old camera system could do for me, I underwent a major upgrade to a new Nikon system. Our February trip to the World was my first significant hands on experience with my new D700 and by the end of the trip, I felt like I was finally getting a grasp of what potential lay within the digital sensor and lenses I brought with me.

As I mentioned in my original thread http://micechat.com/forums/walt-disn...lue-fairy.html, I really am fond of Wishes and firework pictures in general. This trip allowed me seven chances to go after the ever elusive Blue Fairy shot. To track down this wily beast, you to prepare yourself for upcoming battle.

Firstly, you need the correct equipment: a digital camera capable of long exposures, a variety of lenses to capture the perspective you desire, some sort of remote shutter release system to control the camera, and a very tall sturdy tripod to peer over the tops of the large crowds that would otherwise be blocking your view.

Secondly, you need to study your subject. A key to getting good fireworks photos is understanding the different beats to the music to capture the fireworks bursts you desire. With the Disney presentations, it's very easy to get video copies of their shows. Another thing you need to study is an understanding of the perspective relationship between the foreground (Castle) and the background (fireworks). At the Magic Kingdom, you can basically control how big you want Cinderella Castle to be in relation to the fireworks. The closer you are to the Castle, the more of the frame it will fill and the smaller the bursts appear. As you move back down Main Street, the fireworks quickly become the focus of the shot as the Castle becomes smaller and smaller in the frame. You can zoom in to compress the space a bit; but it quickly becomes difficult to get both sufficiently in frame. You also need to identify the different fireworks launch locations and plan accordingly if you want to get side angle perspectives.

The third thing you need to have is a good deal of patience. You need to arrive early and allow sufficient time to set up your equipment. Don't expect to show up five minutes before the show starts and get a good location.

Lastly, you need a bit of luck. There are a lot of things that are beyond your control when attempting to shoot fireworks. Wind speed and direction can blow the bursts off course. Smoke can blow in front of the Castle. Fireworks can misfire or not launch. The wrong shells can be loaded into the launcher. Your camera equipment may malfunction. Ironically, this type of failure was something I thought I prepared for. When I purchased my camera, I needed to buy a remote shutter release for the system. I could purchase one of the several types of Nikon releases that are quite pricey or I could find a third party solution. I located a type of shutter release on eBay that was a simple leaf switch design and didn't have any extra bells and whistles. Since they were so cheap, I thought I'd go ahead and buy two of them and have a spare. On my second night of using it, the first one broke during Illuminations. The next night, the same thing happened to the spare during Illuminations as well (it was cursed I tell you). D'oh! I then had to spend the next morning frantically calling camera stores in Orlando before tracking down one store that had the mid of the line expensive Nikon solution. Several hours wasted, a trip into the city, and missing out on two good opportunities to capture Illuminations was a penance for learning the lesson of trying to save a bit on the up front costs.

Now, on to the fruits of my labor:

*notice the wrong shell being used

The photo above was taken with the very special 14-24mm Nikkor lens, which known for it's edge to edge performance. I had SOOOOO much fun with this lens on this trip, so plan on seeing a lot more of it in the future.

I've got a few ideas for my next trip, so I can't wait to try them out. Happy hunting.

• DOasDREAMERSdo

Re: Capturing the Blue Fairy

These are soo beautiful! Absolutely breathtaking...wonderful work!
    DREAMING IS BELIEVING

• I'm Theme Park Happy!

Wow!
    Micoofy Duck
    Disney Theme Park Fan #4,584,376
    http://www.micoofy.com

• Yeah.....

....these photos actually brought a tear to my eye......fantastic work!

• "The Musical Quil"

^ Agree'd!

• Disappearing/Reappearing

oh my goodness!!!! Those are absolutely beautiful. Fantastic work!

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Super Duper!

HO. LY. CRAP!!

Those are the clearest pictures I have ever seen, anywhere... EVER! They look so amazing, it actually looks like I'm there! Absolutely no loss in quality or color from the human eye. WOWZAS!!!!

Can I get those in a larger size? At least 1440x900? I'd love to use them for wallpapers, if I may.

• Im the fun mommy :)

I loved them, so breathtaking !! do you sell your pictures? I would love copy for my photo Albums
    -------------------------------------------
    I miss dole whips......... can someone mail me one??

• A Weather Eye Open

I love the 1st and 3rd photos especially! They've got the Walt statue, the castle, and so much detail on the fireworks!
    "And all I ask is a tall ship and a star to steer her by" (John Masefield)

• Future Imagineer! =D

Oh. My. Goodness. These are amazing! I love the one's where you can see Walt's statue in the distance. It looks like he's outside the castle with Mickey and waving the crowd hello as if saying "I'm still here and Disney is still magical..."
    ...After a YEAR I finally was able to figure out my password again! I'm baaack! Woohoo!(:
    Disney is my life <3
    Thank Walt for all he did! <3
    Future Imagineer <3
    Keep Disney the way Walt intended it!!

• hunter of Hidden Mickeys

absolutely amazing photography! I love the first one (almost like Walt is watching the fireworks too along with the crowd) and the third one the most. these are some really beautiful photos!

• De la Terre la Luke

Amazing photographs, I've never seen fireworks photographed in this way! So beautiful.

Quote Originally Posted by Mommyto4 View Post
    I loved them, so breathtaking !! do you sell your pictures? I would love copy for my photo Albums
    Nah, I don't sell my pictures of Disney. It's the Happiest Place on Earth and I'm not there to make money off of my vacations. That's why I post my full size images online (with a visable and digital watermark cause I don't want others making profit from them). Of course if you want to donate to my future vacations and taking more pictures, my wife isn't going to stop ya.

If you want to view the full size images, you can visit my Flickr collection here: JediMasterMatt's collections on Flickr

Everything you saw is locted under the Magic Kingdom>Wishes collection.

Feel free to use them for personal use (wallpapers or printing for yourself); but, please contact me if you want to reuse them.

Enjoy!

• Disappearing/Reappearing

thanks for letting us use them for wallpapers! That's very sweet of you. Our next trip is in 3 weeks, God willing..and I'd love to use one to remind us of what we're looking forward to!

• 1,200 Miles from da Mouse

Absolutely amazing shots...do you use a bi-pod or anything to make your pictures so still??? Thank you for sharing with anyone...What kind of DSLR do you use? I may have to save up and buy that Nikon lens now, the wife is going to hate me but if my pictures look half as good as yours it's worth it..
    The test of success is not what you do when you are on top. Success is how high you bounce when you hit bottom.
    -George S. Patton

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast