Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Blue Bayou in MK?

I read in a book that there used to be a Blue Bayou in the Magic Kingdom version of Pirates of the Caribbean. I've only been to Disney World twice but from what I can remember there really wasn't any place it could of gone. So was there ever a Blue Bayou there or was the author mis-informed when he wrote the book?

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • How do you do?

Blog Entries

Re: Blue Bayou in MK?

Quote Originally Posted by Cracka View Post
    I read in a book that there used to be a Blue Bayou in the Magic Kingdom version of Pirates of the Caribbean. I've only been to Disney World twice but from what I can remember there really wasn't any place it could of gone. So was there ever a Blue Bayou there or was the author mis-informed when he wrote the book?
    There never was a Blue Bayou in WDW. The alternate experience is San Angel Inn at the Mexico pavilion at EPCOT.
    It's a Zip-A-Dee-Doo-Dah...Tip for Today!

Thanks! That's kind of what I figured.

• Banned User

Whoever wrote that book is a lousy researcher...

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

Research FAIL.

• I see mouse people

Blog Entries

Florida...no Blue Bayou for you!!

It really wouldnt fit thematically anyway. Unless it was the Blue Laggon like Paris, but now i'm asking too much. Marc Davis said that the scenery around the attraction and the queue would make up for the Blue Bayou. Which i think it did (I might be the only person who has been to both parks and says FL attraction id better).

• Minion

In the DL version, the Blue Bayou helps set the mood for the ride. The MK version does not have the Blue Bayou, but the elaborate queue does to a large extent compensate for the lack of the restaurant and lagoon. Overall, I like the DL ride better because of the more elaborate caverns and a more fleshed out ending, but the difference between the two rides overall is not as great as I had thought prior to riding both.
    Down with the Hat

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Frank_The_Tank View Post
    It really wouldnt fit thematically anyway. Unless it was the Blue Laggon like Paris, but now i'm asking too much. Marc Davis said that the scenery around the attraction and the queue would make up for the Blue Bayou. Which i think it did (I might be the only person who has been to both parks and says FL attraction id better).
    I agree that the queue is good at WDW, but I'd like to hear why you prefer their version of the ride? DL's Pirates has all the scenes that WDW's does, plus more; a better build up, more drops. It's a longer, more drawn out version, while the one at WDW is like an edited version. The only thing I think is superior is the Davy Jones projection.

Quote Originally Posted by disneyfann121 View Post
    I agree that the queue is good at WDW, but I'd like to hear why you prefer their version of the ride? DL's Pirates has all the scenes that WDW's does, plus more; a better build up, more drops. It's a longer, more drawn out version, while the one at WDW is like an edited version. The only thing I think is superior is the Davy Jones projection.
    idk why, I sometimes get board of the long cave and grottos in DL. But I do love the arsenal, and the Blue Bayou is awesome. I think its more of an emotional connection because Pirates was the first actual ride that I went on in WDW.

• Happy Haunt

I know I'm way late on this but the reason we don't actually have a Blue Bayou at MK is because when they were building the park it was decided that people in FL wouldn't be interested in a ride that takes place in the Caribbean since it's not exotic. After building the railroad and looking at how much it was cost to design and build a new ride they decided to put in POTC and save themselves money. Since the railroad was all ready in place they had to add the drop which actually takes you under the railroad and into another building.

I learned that fun fact during the Keys to the Kingdom tour.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by GraceysGirl View Post
    I know I'm way late on this but the reason we don't actually have a Blue Bayou at MK is because when they were building the park it was decided that people in FL wouldn't be interested in a ride that takes place in the Caribbean since it's not exotic. After building the railroad and looking at how much it was cost to design and build a new ride they decided to put in POTC and save themselves money. Since the railroad was all ready in place they had to add the drop which actually takes you under the railroad and into another building.

I learned that fun fact during the Keys to the Kingdom tour.
    You are right, to the extent that the Magic Kingdom wasn't supposed to have a Pirates ride. Imagineer Mark Davis (the guy responsible for Pirates) designed a new ride for Magic Kingdom called Western River Expedition themed to the wild west, because Pirates were thought to be not exotic enough for Florida. Overall Western River Expedition was similar to Pirates, but with a big drop like Splash Mt at the end. Some people (including myself) consider WRE to be the best ride Disney ever designed. The Magic Kingdom opened in 1971, and WRE was slated to open in 1974. However, when the park opened, many visitors complained about the lack of a Pirate ride. So the company hastily built the one we have to day - and with significant budget cuts, hence the smaller scale of the ride. Once Pirates got built the impetus to build the much-more-expensive Western River Expedition died down. As for going below the railroad track, that was a necessity for the first version of Pirates in Anaheim...and the drops proved popular enough that this element was retained for future versions.
    Down with the Hat

Quote Originally Posted by disneyfann121 View Post
    Talking about the Davy Jones projection have they simply given up on that? The last couple of times I have been there the projection wasn't working (the fog was on though), but when I was there on the 14th even the fog was turned off.

Anyone know?

The fog and projection were working on the 10th, but then we noticed it wasn't on the 13th. Hopefully just a glitch. I agree that the projection seems better at MK than at DL.

As far as the abbreviated MK version goes, I've always wished that they would add to the front end of the ride. Although it might take some drastic engineering, the boats could leave the dock and immediately head UP a ramp to a second floor where an improved grotto scene (or even an opening scene like DLP) took place then drop back down into the existing flume, then drop again using the existing drop. Just a dream, but it would be cool.

• Artistic integrity

Quote Originally Posted by tasman View Post
    YAs for going below the railroad track, that was a necessity for the first version of Pirates in Anaheim...and the drops proved popular enough that this element was retained for future versions.
    And to elaborate on that ... lets not forget where Florida's water table sits .. like not that far below your feet.

In Anaheim's version ... the city is 130-something feet above sea level. In Florida ... the beginning of the ride is like sitting "2nd Story" ... then comes what is considered DL Anaheim's 2nd (and smaller) drop ... and the ride is level to "ground level."

Too bad Disney gave into the abbreviated version of PoC in 1973 .... instead of the large scale - Western River Expedition.

To this day ... this is my number one - "Best Unbuilt Disney Theme Park" attractions in history.

And I hope it gets built somewhere .. some day.

Widen Your World - Thunder Mesa & The Western River Expedition

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast