Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sad state of the Classics!

After countless visits to the MK, and even more countless rides on my two nostalgic faves, POTC, and the Haunted Mansion, I came to the conclusion that both of these rides are way, way past their need for a rehab. It disgusts me to see those attractions in the sorry state that their in. Here are a few of the problems these attractions have that I've seen.

POTC:
    Too Dark
    Decaying Soundtrack
    Un-Synchonized Cannon Fire, Splashes
    Failure of Cooling Cannon Ball Effect
    Falilure of many Audio-Animatronic devices
    Uncoordinated unload procedure
    Ripped (damaged) Fire Effect in burning city
    Fading glow-paint on skull

Haunted Mansion:
    Sound System Failure
    Dirty Ballroom Glass Plate
    Sound levels too varied (way too loud --> way too quiet)
    Replacement of all spooky ghosts with extraordinarly corny figures
    Peeling Wallpaper in stretching room
    Outdated effects
    Phantom Piano Player effect fading
    Mechanical components visible in breathing doors
    Terribly fake looking effects (spiders, seance materials)
    Abuse on Mme. Leota gravestone

Now this is just a sample of the things I've found. What do you think? Don't you find these completely disgraceful. How Un-Disney (Walt) can you get!

I've also got major beefs with the Space Mountain Queue and Post-Show, but that's a different story!
    In view, a humble vaudevillian veteran, cast vicariously as both victim and villain by the vicissitudes of fate.

DoppelV

• I was deleted.

Quote Originally Posted by Niyxstyx
    I've also got major beefs with the Space Mountain Queue and Post-Show, but that's a different story!
    Yes, that is a different story! Too bad they couldn't fit another Space Mountain refurb in this year.. Disney did two at other parks (DLRP and DLR). I hope that means WDW gets one real soon!

And this is why I don't want to ride HM with you again. Crazy, crazy kid! But at least there isn't a Spanish spiel in the Doom buggy. It only plays along with the regular, English one in the queue area.

• Banned User

Re: Sad state of the Classics!

you need to remember.. WDW's POTC was built cheap... so it is due for a major Overhual soon... (think IASW rehab..)

HM.. that can wait.. thought they could do some minor touches here and there... and float soemthing...

Quote Originally Posted by figment1986
    HM.. that can wait.. thought they could do some minor touches here and there... and float soemthing...
    I couldn't disagree more, the Haunted Mansion needs a rehab even more than POTC. Many times, the soundtrack just gives up all together and all you here is a high pitched static. The effects are all falling apart, and I think that between POTC and HM, this attraction needs the rehab first.

Even though some effects do not work on POTC, the ride still is entertaining for those who are not looking for the problems. On the Haunted Mansion, the effects are very, very, noticeable.
    In view, a humble vaudevillian veteran, cast vicariously as both victim and villain by the vicissitudes of fate.

DoppelV

• Internet.Serious Business

Perfect Park Acres, the latest in Hover-Burb Communities

Even though some effects do not work on POTC, the ride still is entertaining for those who are not looking for the problems. On the Haunted Mansion, the effects are very, very, noticeable.
    Ditto. HM you can tell when the speil of Master Gracey starts repeating itself...if one pirate isn't blinking thats not so noticable. I mean I rode pirates this sumemr and noticed things that seemed new and improved...not falling apart like HM.

Well the HM is scheduled for a rehab next month, so hopefully some of these things will get fixed.
    Amanda
    Just remember without a well written Disney Villain, there would be no point in the Heroes and the Princesses. Have you hugged a Disney Villain today?

• Disney Memory Maker

I completely agree with HM. That attraction is in need of a refurb. I don't really agree though with PotC. They can't make it lighter because that would ruin a lot of the effects (like how it looks like your outside). The cannons and audio have been fine when I went on it this year. The AAs also seemed to work when I was there. As for Space Mountain, I personally like how it is. I think the bumpyness and all that add to the "personality" of the ride. If anything, I would make it darker, add some of the effects Paris has & possibly add a soundtrack.

Quote Originally Posted by MandaBella
    Well the HM is scheduled for a rehab next month, so hopefully some of these things will get fixed.
    I believe this rehab is only a few days long and is meant to fix some of the more minor problems and possibly the audio.

-Michael
    “You can design and create, and build the most wonderful place in the world. But it takes people to make the dream a reality.” - Walt Disney

Both Pirates and Mansion are in sorry shape. Again, if this were DL, it wouldn't be allowed but at WDW you could have a pirate missing his head and they'd still be open.

Mansion was scheduled for a major cleaning, sprucing up in fall 2004 to go with installation of the Nightmare overlay, but Orlando got cheap and opted to not add the seasonal version (an awful idea IMHO) and because of that, no major work was done on Mansion.

Pirates is supposed to be getting a major rehab some time in 2006. Rumors have it that will be fairly major and that Captain Jack Sparrow will make an appearance.

Quote Originally Posted by askmike1
    I completely agree with HM. That attraction is in need of a refurb. I don't really agree though with PotC. They can't make it lighter because that would ruin a lot of the effects (like how it looks like your outside). The cannons and audio have been fine when I went on it this year. The AAs also seemed to work when I was there.

As for Space Mountain, I personally like how it is. I think the bumpyness and all that add to the "personality" of the ride. If anything, I would make it darker, add some of the effects Paris has & possibly add a soundtrack.

-Michael
    Well, I think POTC could be a little lighter, maybe just more of a spotlight effect so that people could notice things a little easier. Right now its just really, really dark and you can hardly see anything.
    Being on the CP, I visit MK at least twice, maybe three times a week, and the effects are getting a little better, but they are sitll in need of a major tweaking. Especially the fire effects in the city and the cannon fire. As of yesterday they are still in rough shape.

Space Mountain the ride is completely fine. I would only tweak the queue and pre-show. I hate the way that an electrical tape mask over scratched displays is a valid fix. I hate the way the pre-show makes no sense any more. But most of all, I really hate the lack of a relevant story. The ride itself is wonderful, it would be cool if the space effects were spruced up and if the ride received a soundtrack. All Space Mountain needs is a cosmetic refurb.

DoppelV

The only thing I noticed about HM last week was the omission of a couple parts of the narration. There was no "This one can hardly contain himself", "They all seem to have trouble getting through" and "Perhaps Madame Leota.....remarkable head for materializing the disembodied" - all missing. Has it been this way for long?

Oh, and also, a couple versions of Grim Grinning Ghosts sung by the various denizens of the graveyard were missing completely. Other than that, jerky movements by the Hitchhiking Ghosts and a very dirty scrim, it was pretty similar to DL. Oh, and the spot in the film of Madame Leota's spiel where it ends and starts over was VERY noticeable!

• Banned User

...Space Mountain the ride is completely fine. I would only tweak the queue and pre-show. I hate the way that an electrical tape mask over scratched displays is a valid fix. I hate the way the pre-show makes no sense any more. But most of all, I really hate the lack of a relevant story. The ride itself is wonderful, it would be cool if the space effects were spruced up and if the ride received a soundtrack. All Space Mountain needs is a cosmetic refurb.
    If a soundtrack was added it would have the exact same problems as the Disneyland one; For one it'd be unreliable since the trains weren't made to have a soundtrack, which leads us to the next problem: The track; it wasn't made to support the trains with a soundtrack, it would just slowly crumble down, cracks in the track, support structures struggling to lif up the damaged tracks. This is why Space Mountain at Disneyland was refurbished. It was nearing a dangerous accident, so they planned to refurbish it for the 50th anniversary, so that the track and trains could be replaced with trains and track that could handle the weight of a soundtrack. They wouldn't be able to have a minor refurb which would include a soundtrack.

• Banned User

Of all DL parks, the MK is the one park in most need of refurbishing and the problems go way beyond those attractions posted above (POTC and HM). All Fantasyland dark rides are crap as opposed to their counterparts in the other parks. Snow White's for example was badly redone and became a mannequin ride with very little animation and poorly re-designed boarding area that causes long backups inside the ride. BAD show. Space Mountain? Bad queue, bumpy ride. IASW?..lovely new boarding area a la Mary Blair but same old looking and unimpressive ride. Then there is the bad maintenance all around. Most notably...Tomorrowland.. which is in very bad shape all over. Take a close look at the buildings housing Timekeeper and Buzz's Spin...Peeling paint, light fixtures that are broken... etc etc. Main Street at night has many lights that need to be replaced. Cracked floors...

MK has become the ugly ducklin in the Disney empire which is shameful, because it has overtaken TDL in visitors numbers and they manage to offer the less magical experience. Truly bad.

Quote Originally Posted by TDLFAN
    Of all DL parks, the MK is the one park in most need of refurbishing and the problems go way beyond those attractions posted above (POTC and HM). All Fantasyland dark rides are crap as opposed to their counterparts in the other parks. Snow White's for example was badly redone and became a mannequin ride with very little animation and poorly re-designed boarding area that causes long backups inside the ride. BAD show. Space Mountain? Bad queue, bumpy ride. IASW?..lovely new boarding area a la Mary Blair but same old looking and unimpressive ride. Then there is the bad maintenance all around. Most notably...Tomorrowland.. which is in very bad shape all over. Take a close look at the buildings housing Timekeeper and Buzz's Spin...Peeling paint, light fixtures that are broken... etc etc. Main Street at night has many lights that need to be replaced. Cracked floors...

MK has become the ugly ducklin in the Disney empire which is shameful, because it has overtaken TDL in visitors numbers and they manage to offer the less magical experience. Truly bad.
    Yes, my friend, but how many people will even look at pictures of TDL, let alone ever visit?

Hell, how many WDW visitors have even set foot in the much-superior original Disneyland?

They simply don't have reference points for comparison. I'm sure if you compare the MK to any of the local/Six Flags-type of regional parks, the MK must seem amazing, even in its current sorry state.

Unfortunately, that's what most WDW visitors in the 21st century do.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by WDW1974
    Yes, my friend, but how many people will even look at pictures of TDL, let alone ever visit?

Hell, how many WDW visitors have even set foot in the much-superior original Disneyland?

They simply don't have reference points for comparison. I'm sure if you compare the MK to any of the local/Six Flags-type of regional parks, the MK must seem amazing, even in its current sorry state.

Unfortunately, that's what most WDW visitors in the 21st century do.
    Agreed, and Disney knows that, so they slack off by the guests' lack of reference point as you put it. "What they don't know, will cost them more, while getting less"

• Self Congratulative

Quote Originally Posted by SpectroMan
    Oh, and also, a couple versions of Grim Grinning Ghosts sung by the various denizens of the graveyard were missing completely.
    OK! So I'm not the only one that notices this part! Last few times I rode, this completely ruined the ride for me! You went through the whole graveyard with no soundtrack! Try watching a movie without a soundtrack and see if it seems the same to you.

The only music that was ever heard of the Grim Grinning Ghosts upbeat theme was the singing busts, but that's only because they're on their own independent sound system.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast