Did the Magic Kingdom ever SELL a Lifetime Pass?

Urban Legend? Myth? Never happened? The ultimate Disney insider secret? From what I have read on the internent, I know that we are going to get responses ALL OVER THE PLACE with this one, like....

- Someone's Uncle's ex-wife's son-in-law worked at WDW opening day and got a Lifetime pass
    - Only Disney Execs. have ever had access to a LifeTime pass
    - The first family on opening day got a Lifetime pass
    - There never was a Lifetime pass on sale to the general public, although some early employees did have access to it. It only included the Magic Kingdom.
    - People are confusing "Lifetime" pass with "Annual" pass

Of course, all of these stories seem to be hearsay and urban legend, propagated over the years as fact.

...but I personally think there MAY HAVE BEEN a Lifetime pass to the Magic Kingdom offered to the general public at one point, for a BRIEF period of time (this would have been either late 1970s or early 1980s). Why do I say this? Because on one occasion, my family added up the costs and considered buying them! Let me give you my own experience:

Do any of you long-term WDW goers remember when the Contemporary Resort had a ticket office at the BASE of the monorail escalator, on the Grand Canyon Concourse, jut to the right of the elevators? It's boarded up and wallpapered over now, but I remember MANY times when we would purchase our tickets there before hopping on the monorail over to the Magic Kingdom. That one small area is probably the LEAST changed part of WDW since I have been going (1972) and brings back some of the best nostalgia for me. Ever notice how narrow that escalator is?!

Anyway, similar to Disneyland back in the day, you COULD just take a trip on the Monorail, without having a Magic Kingdom ticket. But you had to pay $2, I believe, for the trip. If you had a Park ticket, then you got on the monorail for "free" (it was included in the price of your admission ticket book or pass). All of this changed when Disney moved to one day passes. You showed your pass to the CM at the Monorail turnstile for the TT&TC, Polynesian, or Contemporary, and they let you up the boarding ramp to the monorail.

Well, it was one of these occasions at the Contemporary Resort, standing across from the Fantasia gift shop (which is the video arcade now), in front of the ticket windows, at the base of the escalator that leads up to the Monorail platform, that I first was exposed to a Lifetime Pass. We were standing in a circle, my father/mother/brother/sister, and quickly added up the cost. I believ it was $1500 for and adult, and $1000 for children (3-9). While we vacationed at WDW two or three times a year back then, we still had a hard time justifying the cost, and we didn't purchase.

Was this all real? Well, yes. I DON'T believe EPCOT was open yet, and I am NOT sure that WDW had yet switched to the All Day Pass from ticket books. And I DON'T know if, you bought a child's LifeTime pass, what happened when the child turned 10 years old? Did they have to upgrade to an Adult Lifetime pass??!!

DOES ANYONE HERE HAVE ADDITIONAL INFORMATION??

Re: Did the Magic Kingdom ever SELL a Lifetime Pass?

Interesting story,

i did know that Disney used to honor previously purchased passes. for example on my sisters first visit they did not use all of the days on their parkhoppers. when they went back they took the tickets with them and they were able to use the unused days. On their first visit their two childrne had used child passes but now were adults. They just asked their age and looked at the date on thei tickets and determined that at their first visit they would have been children so the tickets were theirs and valid. Not sure if they still do that

•   
    • Sponge & A Rusty Spanner

They used to offer lifetime passes, but only to people over 97 years of age.

(or so I heard from this guy who knew a fellow who said on his blog that his grandmother bought one two weeks before she died)
    Fight On! Beat the Bulldogs!

Tom Chaney Memorial Debate Lounge Quote of the Week:

Quote Originally Posted by sleepyjeff View Post
    Speaking of "drive-by" my cousin just became the new drummer for -Train-
    This device kills fascists.

I can say a good friend said he was offered one in the 70s for $1000. His total income as a cop then was $13k so they couldn't afford it, I believe him, but can't prove it, of course.

So, no one knows?

• Like a grand & miraculous

7 turns from Disneyland!:) but about 1,150 miles on I-5. haha AKA: Puyallup, WA

I've heard that When the DVC first came out, they had an offer that as long as you were a DVC member you could get free admission to the parks!

• враг народа

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Baloo View Post
    Interesting story,

i did know that Disney used to honor previously purchased passes. for example on my sisters first visit they did not use all of the days on their parkhoppers. when they went back they took the tickets with them and they were able to use the unused days. On their first visit their two childrne had used child passes but now were adults. They just asked their age and looked at the date on thei tickets and determined that at their first visit they would have been children so the tickets were theirs and valid. Not sure if they still do that
    Tickets now expire, but one may purchase a no expiration option. I am not sure about the child thing, that seems like a great way to buy early and save.

• Pilot EdForceOne

Quote Originally Posted by Baloo View Post
    Interesting story,

Unfortunately now though they don't let you keep your old ticket media. They exchange your ticket for a modern one. They also will not let you combine them. So if you had 4 single day passes, you only get single day passes, not a 4 day pass.

I have lots of old tickets and we've exchanged them on previous trips. However, the oldest ones we have kept, because they are just too cool and we hope someday they'll be collectible

The oldest we have, actually looks more like a luggage tag (with the brass ringed hole, etc). I'll have to pull them out sometime and scan some.
    Check out my blog - Coreplex: Rambling from inside the Grid

Am I evil? yes, I am
    Am I evil? I am man, yes, I am

Quote Originally Posted by sleepyjeff View Post
    Disneyland was meant to be sipped not chug-a-lugged

• Mostly Harmless.

Does the old Ask Dave email address still work? That may be a good spot for answer to this...

(10 Seconds LAter).... Hey! It does! Here is the link http://disney.go.com/inside/forms/askdave.html So someone please Ask Dave.
    He felt like his life was some kind of dream and he sometimes wondered whose it was and whether they were enjoying it.
    follow us on Twitter! @MickeyMutineers
    DisregardListen to our podcast on iTunes!

UPDATE:

Spoke with my parents this weekend. I asked them if they ever remember Disney selling a LIFETIME, not Annual, pass to the Magic Kingdom in Florida. They BOTH agreed: Yes, WDW did, for a time, offer a LIFETIME pass. My father seems to remember that it was a few hundred dollars, definitely less than one thousand. He also volunteered some information: When the Disney parks migrated to the new all day pass, away from the individual A - E tickets, Disney tried to buy back the LIFETIME passes that had been sold.

Do I have a photo? Receipt? Any evidence at all that these ACTUALLY existed? Well, no. After all, this was 30 yeas ago and I suppose we all could be remembering everything wrong.

• Nerd

CM's get a lifetime pass after 10 years of service (so I'm told)

Quote Originally Posted by CMHusband View Post
    CM's get a lifetime pass after 10 years of service (so I'm told)
    Completely true I know someone who worked at Disney for years and years. She now has a lifetime pass I also believe with it she is allowed to take one person with her, but I'm not sure about that.
    Motor Mania!

• Nerd

Hey Spacoli,
    I think you're right about taking one person, i heard that too. I hope so...that would be me!!!

LOL, um I actually don't know the person but one of my relatives who im very close to knows that person she said she would get me all the details. I'll be speaking with her later today to find out the downlow.
    Motor Mania!

• She was sweet as a peach

The "luggage tag" tickets were used in 1981. You had to wear them. I have lovely family pictures from Disney where we all have our tags attached to the front of our shirts. Too funny.
    The tag meant that you could ride anything. No individual tickets needed.