Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

• Cars Land Rocks!

Re: Magic Kingdom has the worst drinking water ever

I can't remember the taste of any of the drinking fountains there. Usually I have bottled water with me. As far as the fountain drinks, I've never noticed a strange taste ... Maybe I've been too thirsty.

• Disney Dream 10/23!!

Florida water has a very brine-y taste to it. My SO and I noticed it right away- when we were at MCO. However, being from SoCal where our water is disgusting we LOVED florida water. It was so nice to be able to drink from the water fountain. Try drinking from the water fountains at DL- Give me WDW water over DL water anyday.

• I am number 4 of 999

The water goes from gross to good based on when the parks opened, and I believe that has to do with age and pipes and such. I could drink it by the gallons at Animal Kingdom because it's really good in comparison, but it makes me gag at Magic Kingdom. It is mildly passable at Hollywood Studios and mildly yucky at EPCOT, in my opinion. I am SO glad I am not the only one to have this conversation! lol Now I am curious how the water tastes at the Bay Lake Tower. You would think good, because it is new, or is it bad because it's so close to the Magic Kingdom?
    It's actually "Cars Land", not "Carsland".

• Disneyholic

I don't think it's as much of the age of the pipes but the source of the water, most of the water in the MK and resorts located near it is drawn from Bay lake itself, treated and filtered presumably but it does have a little bit of an aftertaste to it. The other resorts on property do as well but not as strong a taste. Groundwater from different areas tastes different, they absorb different minerals based on the local geology. I typically fill my hydro-pack from the tap and then throw in some numa or similar hydration mix tablets and I can't taste the aftertaste anymore, never noticed it in drinks there at all but then I usually get the light lemonade, so maybee I'm just used to it.

Now if you want to talk about some nasty water, head over to Iceland! When I visited Reykjavík the water there was very high in sulfur, the tap water smelled of rotten eggs, particularly noticeable in the shower. Much more so than anything I've had in central Florida...
    Hi I'm Jerren and I'm a Disneyholic...

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Relax

Most of Florida water is bad, while I believe it's not unhealthy for you I wouldn't recommend drinking it.

While I'm hopeful that WDW has some filtration systems in place, with the age of MK I imagine that doesn't cover all areas so I would definitely agree with the other posters, buy bottle if you are going for soda.

• Mostly Harmless.

Not that anyone will read this, but here is an article about Florida ground waters. Most of the taste of Florida water is dependent on the age of the pipes and the depth of which aquifer they are tapping into.
    He felt like his life was some kind of dream and he sometimes wondered whose it was and whether they were enjoying it.
    follow us on Twitter! @MickeyMutineers
    DisregardListen to our podcast on iTunes!

• 1,200 Miles from da Mouse

^^^Yup most of FLs water systems are basically all well-water systems which mainly taste very minerally/metallic add to that the age of the pipe's and you got a recipe for bad tasting water which while not unhealthey it just tastes bad..

As for the taste I actually like it, but I think that's mainly because I grew up in a small town in rural WI so I AM pretty used to it
    The test of success is not what you do when you are on top. Success is how high you bounce when you hit bottom.
    -George S. Patton

• 1st visit 1975

Quote Originally Posted by Jerren View Post
    I don't think it's as much of the age of the pipes but the source of the water, most of the water in the MK and resorts located near it is drawn from Bay lake itself, treated and filtered presumably but it does have a little bit of an aftertaste to it.
    What is your source for that statement (in bold)? Having worked with RCID I only saw wells across property. While Bay Lake is spring fed keeping it's level up during droughts used to be with well water. Today with dwindling water resources Disney now has to pump water up from the nearby canals which I believe clouds the water and fouls the water with who knows what.

Part of the taste problem could be the aging water plant technology, while I'm sure they are maintained well I bet the state-of-the-art water plants are nearest AK and therefore better water. Which explains why the water tastes better at the newest attractions/hotels.

• out & about

I agree.

Next topic.
    "There's no off position on the genius switch"

WplusK.com
    http://twitter.com/WRDinc

• Occasional Reader

Quote Originally Posted by Barbaraann View Post
    On my very recent trip to Florida, I wasn't always prepared with my favorite bottled beverage. They can be pretty costly in the parks. What costs about a dollar outside the parks, can be as much as $3 in the parks. I didn't mind the cost, as much as the fact that when I was at Sea World, I didn't like any of the varieties that they were selling.
    Our house is split with coke/Pepsi drinkers.... Pepsi is for cleaning sinks !
    Smile, you never know who's looking !

• Occasional Reader

Quote Originally Posted by Eagleman View Post
    I like to add:
    When people get fountain drink ,"why do you want "ICE"
    all it does mess the Drink up?
    For my self: I order my drink with NO ICE!
    no matter were I go.........
    * the drink is cold
    * and you get more
    I not buying for cupe of ICE which is mostly what you get!
    Again it's me ,but it does not make since to haveing " ice"!
    I agree !
    Smile, you never know who's looking !

• I love my family!

In my experience the water quality at WDW depends on the age of the parks and the price range of the resorts.

Like has been said MK's water is the worst of all the parks, any water mixed drink has that unmistakable mineral flavor.

When it comes to the resorts the Contemporary has no proplem with it's water and it's as old as the MK, no smell in the shower no strange taste out of the tap.

Now at the All Star Resorts the smell is not in the drink fountain, but the room water has that ugly smell and flavor.

So like they say, you get what you pay for.

On my very recent trip to Florida, I wasn't always prepared with my favorite bottled beverage. They can be pretty costly in the parks. What costs about a dollar outside the parks, can be as much as $3 in the parks. I didn't mind the cost, as much as the fact that when I was at Sea World, I didn't like any of the varieties that they were selling.

Reason #139342 to drive to Disney World: Stopping by the bevvy on the way out of Albany and having the kid load 6 cases of .5 liter-flat Saratoga water in the back of the minivan.

•   
    • Chicago Gal

Blog Entries

We entertained the idea of driving to Disney World from Chicago, but decided that the extra times in the parks was a better idea. However, after what we paid for car rental when we got there, and airfare, I'm not quite sure we made the right decision.

We entertained the idea of driving to Disney World from Chicago, but decided that the extra times in the parks was a better idea. However, after what we paid for car rental when we got there, and airfare, I'm not quite sure we made the right decision.
    I haven't flown Commercial Air since New Year's Day 2000. Between then and 2001-09-11 I hadn't needed to fly. *NOW* I simply won't fly commercial air because, well, you're treated like a subject and not a Citizen. In my car, I can have *any* size coffee I want... And a lot of other bottled beverages which wouldn't get past the TSA. But we're in Albany, NY... The ride is a day, day and a half tops. I can understand people's "A plane ride is 1/2 a day" point of view. But it's a horrible way to kick off vacation IMNSHO.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast