• I'll Break your Thumbs!!

Which week is best to visit in December?

So I am planning a trip down to WDW for sometime in December and I am trying to get an idea on what week to go, so that the parks attendance will be at a minimal and the lines not so long.

Originally I was planning on going down Dec 8th to Dec 13th, but due to conflicts from work I have to change that...

So, should I go down the week before? Dec 1st to Dec 6th?

Or the week after? Dec 15th to Dec 22nd?

Thanks all!!

Re: Which week is best to visit in December?

The 15-22nd you might start seeing Christmas crowds during the end of the trip, but i'd imagine the begining you'd still be fine.

Does anyone know when is Pop Warner football crowds there? If they were there that first week I might wait.

•   
    • Skeevy Ray Vaughan

The earlier the better.

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

The earlier in the month, the lighter the crowds. The closer to Christmas you get, the more packed it's going to be.

• Hello there

Blog Entries

I have always gone the 1st week of December, and the crowds have been managable. We are going this year for a few days Dec 2 to 6th (already booked-yay!!).
    But, from looking on-line, there are no more value resort reservations left ( at least that is the message I got when I was checking a few days ago to double check prices) So if that is the case, it might be a bit busier this year.
    Fratsor Sister - Delta Mu Chi Alpha

ΔΜΧΑ

• Engine Co 71

The 25th-31st....stay away unless you want to see the busiest week of the year. I went in 2005 during that week and the crowds were horrible, only to find out from a CM that we came during the busiest time.

• Disney Vacation Planner

Smile Re: Which week is best to visit in December?

Quote Originally Posted by Parisi View Post
    So I am planning a trip down to WDW for sometime in December and I am trying to get an idea on what week to go, so that the parks attendance will be at a minimal and the lines not so long.

Originally I was planning on going down Dec 8th to Dec 13th, but due to conflicts from work I have to change that...

So, should I go down the week before? Dec 1st to Dec 6th?

Or the week after? Dec 15th to Dec 22nd?

Thanks all!!
    I love going to Disney that first week in December.
    They are usually taping the Christmas Day Parade for television on the first Saturday in December. And you may see a "star" or two that week.
    Crowds are usually a little lighter, and the prices are a little lower.

Normally, I would recommend the 1st -6th, but there aren't a lot of choices left if you want the Free dining. If you book by Sept. 26th you can still get the Free dining for both of those dates. Many resorts are filled, but there are still some openings.
    There are more options left for the Dec. 15th - 22nd, than the 1st - 6th.
    And it is still a Magical time of year to go to Disney!

I went during the 6-15th last year and it was great. It was also during Pop Warner and I had no problems going during that time, so I say the earlier the better.

Ok so here is an update, and I am really conflicted about this.

I went on Disney's website to look at room rates for the first week of Dec, and everything was booked at the Value level.

At the Moderate level all I could get was a king suite at Coronado for $4,161 (LOL!!!). So that is a big NO!!

Next I changed the dates to what I originally wanted to do (Dec 8th to 13th) and that week is booked as well. Wow I am hitting road blocks everywhere.

Finally I checked the 3rd week of Dec (Dec 14th to 20th). BINGO!! I can get a room at the pop (preferred) with 5 day park hopper, no exp for around $1156 (dont remember exact amount).

What I am worried about is that it's the 3rd week of Dec and its close to Christmas, so I am not sure how the parks are in terms of crowds. I mean most, if not all, schools are still in session until at least the 23rd (NYC schools at least) and then they break for Christmas until Jan 4th. Are most public schools around the country on the same Christmas recess schedule? If so, then I wouldnt mind going that week, but I want to make sure I am not blindsided by huge crowds of families who got off for Christmas break earlier than other parts of the country.

Any help would be great!!! Thanks everyone! I am trying to get this booked by tonight or tomorrow.

• Disney Vacation Planner

Smile Re: Which week is best to visit in December?

Quote Originally Posted by Parisi View Post
    Finally I checked the 3rd week of Dec (Dec 14th to 20th). BINGO!! I can get a room at the pop (preferred) with 5 day park hopper, no exp for around $1156 (dont remember exact amount).

What I am worried about is that it's the 3rd week of Dec and its close to Christmas, so I am not sure how the parks are in terms of crowds. I mean most, if not all, schools are still in session until at least the 23rd (NYC schools at least) and then they break for Christmas until Jan 4th. Are most public schools around the country on the same Christmas recess schedule? If so, then I wouldnt mind going that week, but I want to make sure I am not blindsided by huge crowds of families who got off for Christmas break earlier than other parts of the country.

Any help would be great!!! Thanks everyone! I am trying to get this booked by tonight or tomorrow.
    I think it will be busy, but the crowds managable up to the 18th or so. As the days get closer to Christmas, it will get busier. I think you will be fine. Take advantage of getting the resort you want and the Free dining!

• Occasional Reader

not sure how they operate over there, but have you tried via a travel agent in case there are block booked rooms they have available but you don't.
    Smile, you never know who's looking !

• Lonestar Louisianian

We will be there that week as well with my niece and nephew. The Florida schools get out the following week, but their final tests will have already been taken. So, while it may be a little more crowded than the first week of Dec. it will certainly be a lot less crowded than the week of Christmas.

So I booked the trip. I had to settle for 12/15 to 12/20 because it was all they had available as the first week of Dec was booked at almost all the hotels. Unfortunately the 2nd week of Dec I had plans that I could not get out of, so here we are... 12/15, and I can't wait.

So what I had did was get a promo code to get some better room rates, and I had called this morning to get some rates, and what they had given me was:

Polynesian (garden view) $1822
    Pop Century (preferred) $495
    Contemporary (theme park view) $2200
    Coronado (std room) $625
    AKL (savanah) $1440
    Wilderness Lodge (courtyard view) $1338

I knew that I wanted to stay somewhere nice this trip (stayed at POP last year, and I loved it, but wanted somewhere nice this trip) but some of those rooms (and those are room rates only. no tickets or Dining) are way out of my budget, so I started to trim away rooms.

Eventually I narrowed it down to either Coronado Springs or AKL (savanah). My friend and his finance told me how nice AKL was so I started to lean toward that hotel, but the thought of paying $1440 for just a room was a little discouraging, and I thought I was just going to end up at POP again, but then it hit me... split the time between 2 resorts.

So I called up Disney reservations and gave them my old res# and I made the changes that allowed me to book the trip. Here is what my final itinerary looks like:

AKL (Savannah room) 3 Nights (15, 16, 17) $722.00
    All Star Movies (preferred) 2 Nights (18, 19) $246.00

Total trip cost: $968
    Original cost: $1440 (AKL for 5 nights in Savannah room)

Total savings: $472

I'll take $472 anytime.... now I have money to get park tickets and what not.

Can't wait. My girlfriend and I are going to have a BLAST!!!!
    Last edited by Parisi; 09-25-2009 at 05:46 PM.