• All you need is LOVE

News Article:Drivers protest free Disney shuttle service

Drivers protest free Disney shuttle service

More than 100 taxi and luxury-sedan drivers turned out Wednesday at Orlando International Airport to protest OIA's handling of Disney's Magical Express shuttle. The drivers, most of whom work as independent contractors or on their own, have complained that the free shuttle to the Walt Disney World resort has taken away their business at the airport. Those drivers say they rely heavily on business and leisure travelers making reservations for pick-up from the airport, but that the free shuttle has lured many clients away.
    http://www.orlandosentinel.com/busin...ness-headlines

• insufferable know-it-all

Re: News Article:Drivers protest free Disney shuttle service

Awwww......

Unusually and exceedingly peculiar and altogether quite impossible to describe...

• Where Schemes Come True!

well...I don't really know what to say..if other operators could make it as seamless and as integrated as Disney has with ME...I say more power to them...I'm glad that Disney has ME...it takes all the stress out of figuring out how to get from the airport to the hotel on site...
    Many Bothans died to bring MiceChat this information.

I'm a Disney fan in Dollywood land!

I also really enjoyed the Magical Express and how smoothly it ran.. in addition, not having to pay and arm and a leg for this Disney service is very nice as well.. I wonder how much Disney will begin to charge once the freeness of this service is up!

• Darkbeer

Blog Entries

Interesting to note, this "free" service, which is only supposed to be offered to folks who register in advance (per the agreement Disney had with the Airport), we have this news story...

http://www.wesh.com/travelgetaways/5372420/detail.html

There's a showdown of sorts at the Orlando International Airport Monday.

At issue is who can meet and greet passengers and where they're allowed to do it, WESH 2 News reported.

This became a hot topic when Disney introduced its Magical Express program. It's a free shuttle service that takes you straight from the airport to your hotel without even waiting for luggage.

Taxi drivers protested, and limousine companies complained. They said Disney greeters had special access to customers, so the airport told the greeters to move. Disney now says the new rules put greeters at a disadvantage.

Monday's meeting is a public hearing at the airport. There will be no policy change implemented yet.
    If it is pre-arranged, then a letter should be sent that says meet the greeters at the First level (where other busses and transportation options work from).

Why does Disney need to be on the second floor, where the Taxi and Shuttle Drivers are located, unless they want to recruit NEW folks, which is not allowed under the arrangement with the Airport....
    Check out my Theme Park Photos at http://darkbeer.smugmug.com

Of course Disney wants to be on the second-level.

Magical Express, which will not be free after the first 18 months, is part of the giant, Big Brotherish Destination Disney project.

It's designed to keep folks (and their money) from ever venturing off Disney property to see anything else in Central Florida.

FWIW, I used DME recently just to try it out and I was very impressed with it and woud pay for the service.

i hope the Disney MAgical Express will be on after the Celebrations .

Every time we came to Orlando we needed to take Mears or another company to get to our Disney hotel and the rates changed from $25 to $100 for one way and it depends on the company .
    HKDL : Done !!!

• secure all cargo

posted by Darkbeer
    Why does Disney need to be on the second floor, where the Taxi and Shuttle Drivers are located, unless they want to recruit NEW folks, which is not allowed under the arrangement with the Airport....
    DE sounds like a great service and we're planning on trying it on our next trip. After all, I always thought Mears did a pretty decent job. But Disney's tactics are just plain unprofessional & disrespectful (as usual) and cause them so much bad publicity (as usual). DE will result in exactly what Disney wants, which is a captive audience, even without their proselytizing of it on the second floor. Seriously, most people who go to WDW planning to rent a car because they've already planned a trip off property are still going to rent a car.

• Stitch to the Rescue

You may just the expansion of service once the 50th is over with. Not sure right now what the ultimate plan is. Otherwise it is all the packages that include the MEARS Shuttle. Then again that is who the contract is thru for DME.

Sean

• Banned User

Just FYI... on all flights arriving at OIA, an announcement is made about Disney's Magical Express and where to meet the greeter. I just came in on a flight from Detroit tonight, and that was the first thing we heard when we landed.