Thread: New Year's Eve

New Year's Eve

Hey everyone. I'm going to be down at WDW for New Year's Eve. Any advice on where we should be when the clock strikes Twelve-- MK, DHS or Epcot? And things I should be aware of? Helpful hints, etc. There isn't much (if anything) on the WDW website about NYE, I'm guessing to them, it's just another (and very busy) day. Thanks in advance.

• Jungle Skipper

Re: New Year's Eve

Quote Originally Posted by GUYNYC View Post
    Hey everyone. I'm going to be down at WDW for New Year's Eve. Any advice on where we should be when the clock strikes Twelve-- MK, DHS or Epcot? And things I should be aware of? Helpful hints, etc. There isn't much (if anything) on the WDW website about NYE, I'm guessing to them, it's just another (and very busy) day. Thanks in advance.
    Magic Kingdom, Epcot, and DHS all have special NYE fireworks. Each of these parks are significantly crowded this day, so when you pick one, I'd recommend staying the entire day. And times wise, DHS has EMH until 3 AM that night.

I have yet to really go out to Magic Kingdom for New Years, its the park that closes the earliest of all.

I have been to Epcot though for my last two birthdays and I have to say that I've never regreted it. It tends to take the crowds the best of all the parks and you can view fireworks from the other parks if you know were to look. They open up dance parties all around the world showcase and the environment is usually pretty fun

I vote Epcot!
    "We all have sparks, imagination! it's how our minds... create creations!"

• Jungle Skipper

Quote Originally Posted by Jspider View Post
    I have yet to really go out to Magic Kingdom for New Years, its the park that closes the earliest of all.

I have been to Epcot though for my last two birthdays and I have to say that I've never regreted it. It tends to take the crowds the best of all the parks and you can view fireworks from the other parks if you know were to look. They open up dance parties all around the world showcase and the environment is usually pretty fun

I vote Epcot!
    One awesome thing MK does is their perimeter fireworks. They literally use every launcher the MK and the area around MK has.

Quote Originally Posted by SirGoofy View Post
    One awesome thing MK does is their perimeter fireworks. They literally use every launcher the MK and the area around MK has.
    It's one thing I've heard of but haven't experienced.

The last two birthdays were either with a sick mother or lazy second cousins

when your group can't or in the most recent case WON'T get up early or tolerate the crowds then you gotta vote for the easier but still premiere route :B

my secound cousins whining actually annoyed me cause they weren't taking my advice so I just ditched the kids in China and spent the day doing whatever random thing crossed my mind. Best theme park day EVER.

If I can make it though I'm definitely going to shoot for the MK this year. It just depends if who I'm with is up for it or not

I think it's really important to gauge yourself and your team for these new year things . I bet Epcot for most people from my more general experience in park going.
    "We all have sparks, imagination! it's how our minds... create creations!"

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

Just be prepared for staying at whatever park you end up at for most of the day. The parks could reach capacity and they won't let anyone else in (it goes in stages, with the highest not letting even resort guests or AP holders in). Park hopping on NYE is not really advised.

• I'm Theme Park Happy!

Iv'e done MK on New Year's Eve. Go when the park opens. Get in. Stay in. DON'T LEAVE. Grab a locker early in the morning. Change of clothes in the locker. Grab a spot around Walt/Mickey statue at least 2 hours before the show. You'll see loads of people sitting around just waiting, blankets out and "this is saved, that is saved" nonsense. Everyone will stand during the fireworks. Enjoy them. And then prepare yourself for the crowded...iest, fulliest, tight spaced group of people you've ever experienced at the parks. You COULD wait around for the crowd to die off or you could push your way through to Tomorrowland to ride Astro Obitors or head towards Frointerland to get on Splash Mountain or Big Thunder Mountain.

Expect Mothers DEMANDING to get through with their strollers, people arguing, yelling, feet getting stepped on, dropping something in the crowd, I found a light up princess spinner thing on the ground my feet were kicking and I was able to bend down and pick it up. Someone's loss is my new find! Hold onto your stuff when pushing through the crowds!

I have pictures somewhere of new year's eve hub.. i'll look for them.

thanks for the advice. The crowds just sound crazy, but I'm sure its a lot of fun, too. And a great opportunity to people watch.