• When Will It Return?

Should I go back to WDW this January?

So here's something I've been pondering, and I'm interested to know what your take on it is.

I live in CA & I've been to WDW once a year every year since 2004. Of those trips, I went in January every year except '05 when I went in June. Last year I wasn't really feelin' it for a return, but I did because I was going with a first timer and there was the Buy 4 Get 3 promo. It was an enjoyable trip. I got to visit Busch Gardens for the first time as well. It was a nice way to escape the doldrums of unemployment that I'd been in then.

Fast forward to this year. I have a job again. The Buy 4 Get 3 promo has restricted itself to Moderate resorts, which excludes the Value we'd stayed at last year. The friend I went with last year has already informed me that she can't go back even though she really wants to because of financial reasons, but that's not a deal breaker because for '04 & '05 I went to WDW as part of visiting family that I have in FL, and I could easily do that again in 2010 now that I'm 25 & won't get killed with underage rental car fees. (Obviously I'd have to rent if I was visiting family.)

So here's my question for anyone who wants to respond. Like last year, I'm not really feeling an urgent urgency to return, but I wouldn't rule out making a return if it was for the right reasons. But also, like last year, there really isn't anything in WDW that I can look at and think "ooh I wanna go check that out!" especially after going annually for a while now and knowing virtually all there is to know about the Resort from a guest's perspective. Can anyone think of a good reason for me to go back? Those of you who go every year for longer stretches than I have, why do you keep going back? I'm just not feeling it going back and doing the same stuff yet again. I do that with Disneyland, but that's a very low cost trip not having to pay for parking or admission. WDW is not a low cost trip with the plane, admission, hotel and other expenses. So is there an incentive to go that I'm missing? What say you about it?

"Who among you is wise and understanding? Let him show by his good behavior his deeds in the gentleness of wisdom." -- James 3:13

• Shopping With You

Re: Should I go back to WDW this January?

I'd say go when the need strikes you, as you say Disneyland is cheaper for you. I go to WDW almost yearly since I am on the East Coast, and only travel out to Anaheim when there is something I need to see. For example, I've only been to Disneyland twice, once in 2006, and then this year during D23 Expo.

WDW, I've been to around 20 times since about 1984.

• Happy Haunt

I agree with Mr. Bungle wait until your excited for it. I've gone twice this year and am ready to go back again which means every trip I enjoy myself but your right after so many times some things get boring.

If you don't have to go in January I would suggest waiting for a fun event. The Food & Wine or FLower & Garden at Epcot are both really cool.

• Seasick

Definately try a different time of year. October is great as you get Food & Wine fest as well as Halloween. If you can get the free dining plan you'll possibly get to enjoy a lot of in-park restaurants you haven't in the past. Or go for the Christmas decorations and party.

Personally, I've done annual trips the last four years, alternating between Anaheim and Orlando, and I definately feel that it's more than enough. I anticipate at least a two-year gap between my last trip and my next.

You said you stayed at a value resort last year. Have you stayed at a higher-end resort? I've done Pop Century and Coronada Springs and the difference is like night and day. The latter resort just gave me a more relaxed vibe, hanging out at the resort was as much a positive part of the vacation as visiting the parks. Pop Century felt more like a place to sleep, and not much more. Maybe save up for a year and do a more "upscale" trip.
    My Micechat cruise trip report, Part 1:http://micechat.com/14795-disney-wonder/

• Banned User

Maybe you should wait for next fall or winter, after Harry Potter opens at Universal? Particularly if you haven't been to Universal in a while (or ever) I would include a couple days there. The Simpsons and Rip, Ride, Rockit are also new.

• Imagineering God

I honestly would say wait until next year. It gives you more time to build up excitemnt between visits, plus a quick hop over to Universal for Rip, Ride, & Rocket and The Wizarding World Of Harry Potter, the later opening next year.

For my annual vacation, I alternate going to a Disney park (FL or CA) and going somewhere I've never been before. It lets me get my Disney fix but not become too obsessed or jaded.

"Just follow your heart. That's what I do."
    -- Napolean Dynamite

• When Will It Return?

Alright I'm back. Thanks for your responses.

Quote Originally Posted by MrBungle
    I go to WDW almost yearly since I am on the East Coast, and only travel out to Anaheim when there is something I need to see.
    So I guess it depends on how much of a *need* there is to go back. How do you define need? There wasn't a need for me to go to WDW at all, really. I went because I wanted to go & get to know WDW. Now that I have done that fairly well, and WDW has basically failed to build any kind of a major draw since Everest in 2006, there really isn't much left besides going simply to see it again.

It really reminds me of my annual summer trips to Disneyland I had in my childhood. I went every year for my birthday for 4 or 5 straight years & then cut it off after the Peoplemover was killed. That made it easier to say "no, I'm not going back" but in this case I'm kinda in the twilight zone about it.

Quote Originally Posted by GraceysGirl
    If you don't have to go in January I would suggest waiting for a fun event.
    Oh believe me, I've considered this. However, I've seen what WDW is like during the busy seasons, and I would die happy if I never personally saw that again. It's a miracle that I was there in June '05 by myself & not touting first-timer groups that I have in the past 3 years. At this point, it's the off-season or no trip for me, though the events at Epcot and other places do look enjoyable.

Quote Originally Posted by BC_DisneyGeek
    You said you stayed at a value resort last year. Have you stayed at a higher-end resort? I've done Pop Century and Coronada Springs and the difference is like night and day. The latter resort just gave me a more relaxed vibe, hanging out at the resort was as much a positive part of the vacation as visiting the parks. Pop Century felt more like a place to sleep, and not much more. Maybe save up for a year and do a more "upscale" trip.
    I've considered this as well. Every time I visited one of the Moderate or Deluxe Resorts, and I've visited most all of them now, I've considered staying at one of them. To be honest, I can't justify the cost at all.

WDW is great at making you pay for multiple things all at the same time. It starts with making you buy park admission for every day of your visit. Doing that means you're paying for park admission whether you enter the parks or not unless you spring for the no-expiration option, which is a whole heck of a lot more expensive, especially towards the 5-10 day end of the MYW spectrum. So if I don't go in the parks, and do something like enjoy said lavish resort, not only am I spending more for the Resort, but I'm wasting my park admission time that I paid for. So that's spending money on 2 things simultaneously. If I visit a restaurant at my Resort, then I'm spending for 3 things at the same time. On & on it goes.

For me, the starving college grad who can't get more than a bare bones pay job, that's just not an option. It's a miracle that I've been able to go to WDW as often as I have given my budget, but being an Accounting major, I can make it work. However, if I was to start spending on 3 & 4 things at the same time, the financial numbers go insane. It's just not an option, but thanks for your suggestion. :smile:

Quote Originally Posted by disneyfann121
    Maybe you should wait for next fall or winter, after Harry Potter opens at Universal? Particularly if you haven't been to Universal in a while (or ever) I would include a couple days there. The Simpsons and Rip, Ride, Rockit are also new.
    I have had the chance to visit IoA, and it's a really great park. However, I don't feel a real strong draw to go back there either, unless the above financial situation changes.

Quote Originally Posted by WorldLover71
    For my annual vacation, I alternate going to a Disney park (FL or CA) and going somewhere I've never been before.
    That's actually a really good way to go about travel. Hope that works out for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Dewd
    "Just follow your heart. That's what I do."
    -- Napolean Dynamite
    Heh. Yes, the great philosopher Napoleon Dynamite.

So here's where I am on this right now, after more weeks of consideration. Since I have family in the FL area, I'm leaning towards visiting them in January, and including one day at WDW somewhere along the way during the trip. It's actually what I did in 2004, and I think it's the way to go given my current situation.

Nevertheless, I am still interested in hearing more suggestions & opinions on this matter!

"Who among you is wise and understanding? Let him show by his good behavior his deeds in the gentleness of wisdom." -- James 3:13