Reedy Creek Improvement District?

Why does Disney have their own goverment? In the book I read," Married to the Mouse and Orlando", it says that Disneyworld does not have to follow the building laws of Orlando, they do not have to pay land taxes like Universal Orlando or Seaworld and Orlando has to fix the roads in that Disney World area. Why does Disney need their own goverment and should Reedy Creek be turned to whatever county Disney is in?

• 1,200 Miles from da Mouse

Re: Reedy Creek Improvement District?

The RCID was formed as part of an original agreement between the State of Florida and WDC before WDW was built after Disney had already bought up all the land that they currently have control over. see the wiki article here: Reedy Creek Improvement District - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    it provides everything about how it was formed etc. moreso than the general overview that I gave...
    Last edited by ORD84; 11-01-2009 at 02:22 PM. Reason: misspelling
    The test of success is not what you do when you are on top. Success is how high you bounce when you hit bottom.
    -George S. Patton

• All-American

The Reedy Creek Improvement District was created as Walt was acquiring the property in Florida. The idea was that when Disney built the Experimental Prototype Community of Tomorrow (EPCOT), they would be able to govern it as its own city, independent from the city of Orlando. If I'm not mistaken, that book you read argues that WDW should return its political power* to Osceola County since the city of EPCOT was never actually built.

* not ever gonna happen

Quote Originally Posted by ORD84 View Post
    The RCID was formed as part of an original agreement between the State of Florida and WDC before WDW was built after Disney had already bought up all the land that they currently have control over. see the wiki article here: Reedy Creek Improvement District - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    it provides everything about how it was formed etc. moreso than the general overview that I gave...
    This article is very informative but my question now is: is RCID just a puppet of the Walt Disney Company? I assumed it was but the article made it seem to have some sort of autonomy.

• 1st visit 1975

Quote Originally Posted by kramden88 View Post
    This article is very informative but my question now is: is RCID just a puppet of the Walt Disney Company? I assumed it was but the article made it seem to have some sort of autonomy.
    The State of Florida granted WDC permission to setup a government to handle the WDW property. RCID handles all the things a County does EXCEPT Police and Education which Disney declined to do and which Orange county handles in the north property and Osecola county handles on the south property.

All goverments are elected by the land owners and people living within the given area. To say RCID is a puppet is accurate since Disney is the sole land owner and the only people living there live in the City of Bay Lake and the City of Lake Buena Vista. Both are leased trailer parks of about 10 trailers which only WDW employees own. These people vote themselves a mayor and other positions and pretty much approve everything. Over the years Disney de-annexed any land which would have more people living on it.

Generally this would sound as if RCID is unnecessary today, but most of RCID building codes are state of the art for new materials and getting approval should be faster. Their building inspectors are tough, we once got kicked out of our building until certain things were fixed.

As for taxes, Disney pays taxes to RCID and both counties. Disney works closely with the counties for good-will purposes. The auguement is always made that Disney does not to get the area roads fixed. Well when was the last time you could get you local government to use your tax money to fix specific things? A few years ago WDW has enough of that and got into heavy negotiations to have the local roads (SR535 & Apopka Vineland) widened with their tax money. Frankly WDW would drive the counties nuts with all they do if they didn't have RCID. Doing away with RCID would probably save Disney tax money but slow all the projects down, which means WDW would then be the Giant Mouse demanding service. Better to let RCID do it and baby sit WDW while the counties. Some of the headaches Disney has with the Anahiem and Orange County, CA goverments are eliminated WDW.

The only people crying for the demise of RCID is power hungry politicians who can't stand WDW operating efficiently without "big government" help.
    Last edited by Timon; 11-12-2009 at 04:13 AM.

It is a testament to RCID and their stringent codes that WDW is the safest place to be during a hurricane. They rarely lose power because their power lines are under ground. Same with telephone, all under ground. Structural damage, minimal.

I believe RCID is a good thing for WDW even though it services a resort, not a futuristic city.

• Drunk On Disney!

Quote Originally Posted by Anacon View Post
    It is a testament to RCID and their stringent codes that WDW is the safest place to be during a hurricane. They rarely lose power because their power lines are under ground. Same with telephone, all under ground. Structural damage, minimal.

I believe RCID is a good thing for WDW even though it services a resort, not a futuristic city.
    That's cool!

Nice first post BTW.

Quote Originally Posted by aznsamurai View Post
    Why does Disney have their own goverment? In the book I read," Married to the Mouse and Orlando", it says that Disneyworld does not have to follow the building laws of Orlando, they do not have to pay land taxes like Universal Orlando or Seaworld and Orlando has to fix the roads in that Disney World area. Why does Disney need their own goverment and should Reedy Creek be turned to whatever county Disney is in?
    Orlando or Orange county for that matter (Since WDW isn't in Orlando city limits) does not provide the roads for WDW. While there are just a few roads that WDW owns RCID builds and maintains the vast majority of roads at WDW, they are even the ones responsible for the purple and red road signs.

I think the REAL reason RCID is so Disney has access to the more favorable Municipal Bond market to finance much of the improvements they build in RCID. Muni Bond interest is far lower than what Disney could get (even if they had a AAA rating).

• 1st visit 1975

Quote Originally Posted by silmarg View Post
    I think the REAL reason RCID is so Disney has access to the more favorable Municipal Bond market to finance much of the improvements they build in RCID. Muni Bond interest is far lower than what Disney could get (even if they had a AAA rating).
    Probably a good side benefit as RCID was formed in the 1960's and there are many reasons for forming RCID some of which have probably changed over 40 years. WDW can't use RCID's bonds for anything private like hotels and attractions. RCID handles power, water, waste, emergency services, and codes all for public good vs private benefit. I am surprised WDW never got RCID to do Mass Transit like other goverments for Monorail expansion.