Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

• Frustrated A/V Engineer

Re: Food, Wine, Hot weather, and TL at Night.

Quote Originally Posted by Mtsplash View Post
    You might have already made plans for this, but I recommend not renting a car. It's a lot cheaper and easier.
    While I enjoyed your pics, I don't agree with the above. The advantage of being able to go from hotel to hotel, of not waiting for busses, of having your own transportation from the airport, far outweighs any cost of a car, IMO. But this is an argument that is most often split right down the middle. If you don't mind depending on Disney's transporation, go for it. If on the other hand you're like me in that you want to go NOW, not wait 15 or 20 minutes or more for bus, then get a car.

• Drunk On Disney!

Quote Originally Posted by danyoung View Post
    While I enjoyed your pics, I don't agree with the above. The advantage of being able to go from hotel to hotel, of not waiting for busses, of having your own transportation from the airport, far outweighs any cost of a car, IMO. But this is an argument that is most often split right down the middle. If you don't mind depending on Disney's transporation, go for it. If on the other hand you're like me in that you want to go NOW, not wait 15 or 20 minutes or more for bus, then get a car.
    I certainly understand the want to go "NOW". We used to always rent a car, and in that time, I would have completely agreed with you. Now though, I see that it can actually save you time. This is best illustrated at the MK. If you drive a car, you still have to wait for and ride the tram. Once you get up to the front, you have to wait again for the Monorail/Ferry. And, at the end of the day, it's chaos... you have to do it all that again, but with the thousands of other people there. The bus, passes all of that by taking you right to the MK gate and back. Since the buses each go to only one resort, there won't be a horrendous line for any given bus. The buses certainly do get crowded at the end of the night, but it's the only ride you'll have to take, as apposed to a crowded ride on the Monorail, then the tram, until you finally get to your car and can finally drive home.

There's also the issue of wait times. We may have been lucky, but the LONGEST we had to wait was 15-20 minutes. The rest of the time, it was 5 minutes TOPS.

Dealing with the rental car itself is another thing too. At the airport, you have to wait in line at the counter (this usually takes 20-30 minutes for us), fill our paper work, walk out to the lot and find your car. And, depending on how the rental was set up, you have to go the gas station...ewww... The Disney's Magical Express is free, we didn't have to wait long, and we watched a fun video on the way.

....Oh yea..Parking costs money too.

Now though, I see that it can actually save you time. This is best illustrated at the MK.
    I'll give you this one, that it's a bit tough getting out of the MK at night. I really enjoy the ferry ride in in the morning - in fact I think it's a terrific way to anticipate your MK visit. I have a trick at night that works pretty well for me - walk to the Contemporary and get on a monorail there to the TTC. Sure beats standing shoulder to shoulder in line for a monorail at the MK.

And I don't have any problem waiting a few minutes at the car counter. It's about the same time I'd wait for a bus to fill up and finally get going. Plus the bus usually stops at multiple stops, so it can take forever to get to my hotel. And if I'm staying onsite or if I have an AP, parking is free.

I know, there are valid arguments on both sides of this. It all comes down to what works for you. I always get a car, and some folks never do. And somehow, we all still manage to have a great time!

• Drunk On Disney!

Quote Originally Posted by danyoung View Post
    I'll give you this one, that it's a bit tough getting out of the MK at night. I really enjoy the ferry ride in in the morning - in fact I think it's a terrific way to anticipate your MK visit. I have a trick at night that works pretty well for me - walk to the Contemporary and get on a monorail there to the TTC. Sure beats standing shoulder to shoulder in line for a monorail at the MK.

And I don't have any problem waiting a few minutes at the car counter. It's about the same time I'd wait for a bus to fill up and finally get going. Plus the bus usually stops at multiple stops, so it can take forever to get to my hotel. And if I'm staying onsite or if I have an AP, parking is free.

I know, there are valid arguments on both sides of this. It all comes down to what works for you. I always get a car, and some folks never do. And somehow, we all still manage to have a great time!
    You speak a well pointed argument that is well thought out! One thing I certainly do agree with you on is that the anticipation filled morning ferry ride is quite magical. It's something I did actually miss with the bus arrangement.

You speak a well pointed argument that is well thought out!
    That's all I live for!

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Relax

Great TR! It looks like you had a great time.

This photo is interesting though, it looks like they are having a hard time selling those photos.

• Drunk On Disney!

That is interesting. I suppose a lot of people just take phone camera pics like I did.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12