Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Re: Does Disney World 'Ruin' Disneyland?

Quote Originally Posted by Coheteboy View Post
    I hear the "immersive" card thrown out a lot in favor of WDW, but what's so immersive about it? It's just swamp. It takes me forever to park hop or to get from one hotel to the theme park. That actually makes me feel less immersed in it all if I need to take a bus or car to enjoy it all.

At disneyland, there's no inbetween. You're either in a hotel, downtown disney, or a theme park.
    You're kidding right? From the minute you enter the grounds of the resort, absolutely everything you see and hear is themed and engineered by Disney for their guests' enjoyment (Characters, hidden mickeys, etc...). You mention needing to take a car or bus to park hop - the entire road and transportation system on which you "hop" is theirs. And for those who have yet to visit - it's not a swamp. Admittedly, it's very humid at some points of the year but that's Florida. Disney chose the land himself so he must have seen the potential that the resort has now realized. If you stay on the grounds (and with 2 dozen choices and 4-5 different price points, why wouldn't you?), you will be in their world morning to night. I always go home in a good mood from my Disney vacation.

• Californian Fox-Wolf

For me it's quite the opposite, particularly with the Magic Kingdom.
    Please...don't call me simmer, call me Mike Folf.
    I am a Canis Lupus Vulpes Americanis Califius, otherwise known as a Californian Folf.

"Cool shades, Mike!"

Art Tweet Comic Tube

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Starcruiser.. crash crash

Quote Originally Posted by celticdar View Post
    You're kidding right? From the minute you enter the grounds of the resort, absolutely everything you see and hear is themed and engineered by Disney for their guests' enjoyment (Characters, hidden mickeys, etc...). You mention needing to take a car or bus to park hop - the entire road and transportation system on which you "hop" is theirs. And for those who have yet to visit - it's not a swamp. Admittedly, it's very humid at some points of the year but that's Florida. Disney chose the land himself so he must have seen the potential that the resort has now realized. If you stay on the grounds (and with 2 dozen choices and 4-5 different price points, why wouldn't you?), you will be in their world morning to night. I always go home in a good mood from my Disney vacation.

It's a swamp. I really don't mean to break it down like that and I'm so happy that you have great experiences. Even though the swamps and roads are owned by Disney, there's nothing "disney" about them to me. They're just highways and byways, and I guess if you're park hopping on a shuttle packed like sardines around a ton of sweaty people... maybe that's immersive too.

I'm really just stating that immersed in something means different things for different people. The hotels are immersive. I like that but getting to and from resort to theme park isn't that fun - yah, as NeverlandTink said, it depends on which hotel you decide to stay at.

I'll look into that next time I go.. if they add anything worth checking out since my last visit.

Visit my mice chat toy shop!
    http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Nikon +Disneyland = :)

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by dmtnt55 View Post
    Yes, I have never visited the Walt Disney World Resort, and I am working my butt off trying to get my family out there this Summer, but I am wondering, as much as I visit Disneyland, does WDW 'Ruin' the image of Disneyland? I mean 2 more parks, tons of hotels, and an overall 'World', it might just make Disneyland seem small, but for those who frequently visit both, what do you think?
    I really think it's apples and oranges. We loved WDW when we were there, but there are things you give up with that size of a resort. Getting around was SUCH a pain. It's either a bus, or a boat or a monorail and the were lines, lines, lines to get just about anywhere. But there are all of those different parks to explore, and we thought all of them were wonderful.

But if I had to choose, I would still take Disneyland. I think it really has to do with the emotional connection you have with each park. I'd love to visit Disneyland Paris and the other parks as well some day, but even if I thought Disneyland Paris was incredible, it would still be an amazing place to visit, but there is only one true Disneyland.

By the way, we stayed in the Yacht Club, and we can't wait to go back some day. It really was incredible. But if you told me I could only pick one to go to for the rest of my life, it would be Disneyland, hands down.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Jspider View Post
    I think that experiencing all your favorites plus exploring all the differences is perfectly fine for all the attractions really.

I don't know about recommending Midway mania for a California local though the line is so freaking long in Florida who cares if its better decorated (not like anything really moves in there).

The only thing that's been spoiled for me is that I can't experience both the definitive Pirates and Mansion side by side . It drives me crazy that it's an either/or situation depending on what resort I choose :P
    I did mention that you can get a fast pass for TSMM. That's the best way to experience that great queue
    Last edited by disneyfann121; 11-09-2009 at 12:28 PM.

My experience going to WDW was disappointing. I was about 10 and was super excited about staying on the Disney property but things went haywire. I had really bad asthma at the time and we stayed at Port Orleans Riverside, and the mold from the raised foundation buildings aggravated my asthma. We had to switch to an outside hotel, and one day of our parkhoppers was wasted because I had an issue 20 minutes after we got inside Epcot. From a 10 year old's perspective, Magic Kingdom was a spread out Disneyland and Animal Kingdom was a glorified zoo. I liked MGM (it was still MGM then) though!

All in all, I'd rather visit DL. It's the original happiest place on earth, and to spend so much extra money to fly out to WDW just isn't practical for my family.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by AmbuhVee View Post
    My experience going to WDW was disappointing. I was about 10 and was super excited about staying on the Disney property but things went haywire. I had really bad asthma at the time and we stayed at Port Orleans Riverside, and the mold from the raised foundation buildings aggravated my asthma. We had to switch to an outside hotel, and one day of our parkhoppers was wasted because I had an issue 20 minutes after we got inside Epcot. From a 10 year old's perspective, Magic Kingdom was a spread out Disneyland and Animal Kingdom was a glorified zoo. I liked MGM (it was still MGM then) though!

All in all, I'd rather visit DL. It's the original happiest place on earth, and to spend so much extra money to fly out to WDW just isn't practical for my family.
    How many years ago was that? The resort has added a lot of rides since then, including Everest at Animal Kingdom. Everest made AK more of a theme park and less of a zoo.

I have only been to Disneyland once but I love just as much as Walt Disney World for one DL has a quant feel and a feeling of this was walt's dream and he saw it come true! I love DL and miss it I hope to return one day in the future!
    Tiffany șoș
    Arthur: For The Love Of Magic
    Chief Content Editor of WDW Daily News Newsletter.

We are proud to be a MiceChat Partner Website!

Quote Originally Posted by disneyfann121 View Post
    How many years ago was that? The resort has added a lot of rides since then, including Everest at Animal Kingdom. Everest made AK more of a theme park and less of a zoo.
    It was 6 years ago January, and Everest wasn't there. Besides, I would have been too scared to go on that, I didn't go on anything remotely similar to a roller coaster until I turned 13.

The one drawback to me about DL that Walt corrected with WDW and i think seperates the two for me is the surrounding area. DL just feels like another amusement park like Cedar Point-KnotsBerry Farm etc-and the surrounding area doesn't help one feel isolated from the rest of the world.

WDW (staying on property) is another experience entirely-you really feel absorbed in another world while you are there. I really can't say the same for DL even though some of the attractions are superior to WDW.

• The 'Big Dreams' Kid

All these replies are making me ponder the fact that WDW is dubbed the 'better park'.

•   
    • Seasick

I hear the "immersive" card thrown out a lot in favor of WDW, but what's so immersive about it? It's just swamp. It takes me forever to park hop or to get from one hotel to the theme park. That actually makes me feel less immersed in it all if I need to take a bus or car to enjoy it all.

At disneyland, there's no inbetween. You're either in a hotel, downtown disney, or a theme park.
    Unless you're staying at a Disneyland Resort Hotel, your day still involves driving in Anaheim traffic, navigating the parking options, or walking to the parks past cheap hotels and other businesses. Disneyland may feel like another world, but it's still bookended by reality every day.

I like the fact at WDW you don't need a car. You can visit WDW for weeks and never feel the need or urge to visit the outside world.

It lends itself to a longer stay, so you typically have more time to lose yourself in the magic, and to really relax. Most of the resorts are great just to hang around and chill.

Waiting for a crowded bus isn't exactly magical, and park hopping can take more time than one would like, but overall I find WDW more immersive for the reasoning above.
    My Micechat cruise trip report, Part 1:http://micechat.com/14795-disney-wonder/

• Nerd

They are both VERY COOL and they are both VERY DIFFERENT...its hard to explain but they are like two differnt worlds to me. I kinda like DLR better. but probably because I like nearby.

• Pongo is my hero.

Who expects such a grand park in a swampy area of Florida? An area that is secluded from most of WDW that takes a while to get to. It is SO immersive!

You have me confused. You say what's so immersive about it, but then you'd rather walk 50 feet like Disneyland and DCA to go from park to park. That's like total opposite of immersive.

one hundred and one

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by dmtnt55 View Post
    All these replies are making me ponder the fact that WDW is dubbed the 'better park'.
    This is a matter of opinion of course, but I would say that WDW is the better resort, but Disneyland is the best individual park. DL with DCA is developing into a good resort, but really isn't there yet. WDW was planned as a resort since the beginning, and is complete with four theme parks and two water parks, multiple hotels, golf courses, etc.

Disneyland, meanwhile, is the best theme park because of its beauty, brilliant design and amazing number of attractions packed in a relatively small space. I would pick DLR for a shorter trip, one in which you can pack a great deal of fun and magic into a few days. WDW is the choice for a longer, more drawn out, "slow burn" type of theme park experience.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast