Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

• Seasick

Re: Does Disney World 'Ruin' Disneyland?

Quote Originally Posted by disneyfann121 View Post
    This is a matter of opinion of course, but I would say that WDW is the better resort, but Disneyland is the best individual park. DL with DCA is developing into a good resort, but really isn't there yet. WDW was planned as a resort since the beginning, and is complete with four theme parks and two water parks, multiple hotels, golf courses, etc.

Disneyland, meanwhile, is the best theme park because of its beauty, brilliant design and amazing number of attractions packed in a relatively small space. I would pick DLR for a shorter trip, one in which you can pack a great deal of fun and magic into a few days. WDW is the choice for a longer, more drawn out, "slow burn" type of theme park experience.
    This sums it up perfectly imo.

Both parks have a certain quality that the other will never have, and anyone who dismisses one or the other as a vacation destination is missing out.
    My Micechat cruise trip report, Part 1:http://micechat.com/14795-disney-wonder/

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Starcruiser.. crash crash

Quote Originally Posted by BC_DisneyGeek View Post
    Unless you're staying at a Disneyland Resort Hotel, your day still involves driving in Anaheim traffic, navigating the parking options, or walking to the parks past cheap hotels and other businesses. Disneyland may feel like another world, but it's still bookended by reality every day.

I like the fact at WDW you don't need a car. You can visit WDW for weeks and never feel the need or urge to visit the outside world.

It lends itself to a longer stay, so you typically have more time to lose yourself in the magic, and to really relax. Most of the resorts are great just to hang around and chill.

Waiting for a crowded bus isn't exactly magical, and park hopping can take more time than one would like, but overall I find WDW more immersive for the reasoning above.

Right, it is immersive, but I only feel that way about the resorts. Traveling to and from the theme parks can be just as bad as driving through Anaheim traffic (which isn't all that bad).

Maybe I'm personally spoiled that I can drive to Disneyland in less amount of time it takes me to reach the theme park from my WDW resort. That place is just too big and needs more filling out

Its random layout isn't my personal favorite.

Visit my mice chat toy shop!
    http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

• Beach Expert

A beach town that Harbor Blvd was named after

Quote Originally Posted by Coheteboy View Post
    Right, it is immersive, but I only feel that way about the resorts. Traveling to and from the theme parks can be just as bad as driving through Anaheim traffic (which isn't all that bad).

Maybe I'm personally spoiled that I can drive to Disneyland in less amount of time it takes me to reach the theme park from my WDW resort. That place is just too big and needs more filling out

Its random layout isn't my personal favorite.
    I live roughly 15 miles away from Disneyland. I have to drive on 3 freeways to get there. From the time I leave my front door and park my car to the time I enter the park is roughly 40 minutes. It seems to me that it takes at least this long to get from one of the more distant resorts to some of the parks at WDW. (I haven't been to WDW since before AK was built).

In WDW you're travelling through a swampy wilderness. In So Cal you're driving through suburbia. In So Cal you are constantly reminded of the real world and once you enter The DLR that goes away like the flip of a switch. In WDW you are constantly immersed in Disney magic.

One isn't better than the other. They are just different. But they both acheive the same goal of escapism. They just do it differently.

• MiceChat Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyIPresume View Post
    I live roughly 15 miles away from Disneyland. I have to drive on 3 freeways to get there. From the time I leave my front door and park my car to the time I enter the park is roughly 40 minutes. It seems to me that it takes at least this long to get from one of the more distant resorts to some of the parks at WDW. (I haven't been to WDW since before AK was built).

In WDW you're travelling through a swampy wilderness. In So Cal you're driving through suburbia. In So Cal you are constantly reminded of the real world and once you enter The DLR that goes away like the flip of a switch. In WDW you are constantly immersed in Disney magic.

One isn't better than the other. They are just different. But they both acheive the same goal of escapism. They just do it differently.

I guess what I'm saying is: Disney owned swamp doesn't translate to Disney Magic for me. If it does for you, that's great. It's just a personal observation and opinion.

I also had a bus driver who was tailgating other cars and chewing them out. That kind of memory never leaves ya.

Quote Originally Posted by Coheteboy View Post
    I guess what I'm saying is: Disney owned swamp doesn't translate to Disney Magic for me. If it does for you, that's great. It's just a personal observation and opinion.

I also had a bus driver who was tailgating other cars and chewing them out. That kind of memory never leaves ya.
    Disney Owned Swamp? Really? Stretching a little? I think it's hard to characterize WDW as "swamp" Consider Downtown Disney, golf courses, 2 waterparks-plethora of resorts and 4 parks. I get the nostalgia of DL. I understand it's the park Walt walked in, created, etc. But for DL supporters to argue immersive qualities with WDW proponents is a specious argument to me. It doesn't hold water.

• MiceChat Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Pete's Dragon View Post
    Disney Owned Swamp? Really? Stretching a little? I think it's hard to characterize WDW as "swamp" Consider Downtown Disney, golf courses, 2 waterparks-plethora of resorts and 4 parks. I get the nostalgia of DL. I understand it's the park Walt walked in, created, etc. But for DL supporters to argue immersive qualities with WDW proponents is a specious argument to me. It doesn't hold water.

What if i called it Disney owned "land"? Would that make you feel better? Call it whatever you like. Why does "swamp" give you such a negative connotation? That's what it is! I'm not saying it to put it down. WDW is built on swamp land. And besides, it's just my opinion; a feeling that I get from it that doesn't translate the same way for me as it does you. You don't need to agree. I'm not asking people to, nor do I think people are wrong if they do.

From wiki: "Much of the land had been platted into five-acre (20,000 m, 217400 ft) lots in 1912 by the Munger Land Company and sold to investors. In most cases, the owners were happy to get rid of the land, which was mostly swamp."

It's not even a DL vs WDW point for me. WDW is massive but the distance between everything was always a little more than I prefer.

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

I prefer the term native wetlands.

• Me and Tommy Kirk

It's a swamp. I totally agree. There are gators and cranes everywhere and all kinds of wildlife I never see in California. I don't believe Coheteboy is using the term completely as a slam. At least I don't take it that way. By the same token it's simply the truth. Who cares? I like the swamplands on the property.

• Beach Expert

A beach town that Harbor Blvd was named after

This may be shocking to some but before Anaheim was developed by German settlers in the mid-1800s much of Anaheim was a swamp!

The Santa Ana River changed its course from year to year, leaving pools of water in it's place. Because of this the area that Disneyland sits on was originally a swamp. Or as CA prefers, a native wetland.

The original settlers drained the swamps and grew grapes for wine but these crops were destroyed by disease and so they started planting oranges and the rest is history.

• MiceChat Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Neverlandtink View Post
    It's a swamp. I totally agree. There are gators and cranes everywhere and all kinds of wildlife I never see in California. I don't believe Coheteboy is using the term completely as a slam. At least I don't take it that way. By the same token it's simply the truth. Who cares? I like the swamplands on the property.

Thank you, I definitely wasn't using the word swamp as a slam. It is what it is. But haha... maybe I didn't like it so much because it is mostly swamp?

It's just a personal preference I guess. Thanks, DiP for the history lesson on Anaheim.

• I see mouse people

Blog Entries

I would say that WDW does NOT 'ruin' DL, it made me appreciate it more. I was vastly disappointed in a lot of places at WDW because it seemed like a cheap copy of Disneyland. (IASW looks appalling on the outside) There just seems to be so much more detail to discover at DL. There's also a new appreciation of the 'original' aspect of DL.

But while I favor Disneyland, I did really enjoy WDW. I don't like that as Coheteboy said, everything is so spread out that you have to pile into buses and be transported in a herd from place to place. (we ended up losing a brand new digital camcorder and several other items by leaving them on the bus in our hurry to get off) It's nice to stay in hotels on the property, it is a different feeling than staying outside.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234