Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

• The 'Big Dreams' Kid

Does Disney World 'Ruin' Disneyland?

Yes, I have never visited the Walt Disney World Resort, and I am working my butt off trying to get my family out there this Summer, but I am wondering, as much as I visit Disneyland, does WDW 'Ruin' the image of Disneyland? I mean 2 more parks, tons of hotels, and an overall 'World', it might just make Disneyland seem small, but for those who frequently visit both, what do you think?

• Banned User

Re: Does Disney World 'Ruin' Disneyland?

not at all. it actually makes me appreciate some rides more that we have in Disneyland like POTC (FAR superior), Matterhorn, all the fantaslyand rides and fantaslyand in general, Indiana Jones. Together, I think that Disney World and Disneyland are pretty much even. I mean Disneyland and CA still have about as many attractions as all the four parks combined.

• Jungle Skipper

disney world might have the "meat" of all the extra parks and resorts...

but you cannot deny that "feeling you have when you walk down main street towards the castle in disneyland

...walt was here

apples and oranges my friend

• The 'Big Dreams' Kid

Yeah I guess that's true about Walt creating Disneyland as the 'Original Magic Kingdom'.

•   
    • Chicago Gal

Blog Entries

I have been both places and given a choice, I'd rather visit Disneyland. However they are both distinctly different experiences and I always have enjoyed myself at both places.

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Starcruiser.. crash crash

Quote Originally Posted by dmtnt55 View Post
    Yes, I have never visited the Walt Disney World Resort, and I am working my butt off trying to get my family out there this Summer, but I am wondering, as much as I visit Disneyland, does WDW 'Ruin' the image of Disneyland? I mean 2 more parks, tons of hotels, and an overall 'World', it might just make Disneyland seem small, but for those who frequently visit both, what do you think?

No, you needn't worry about WDW ruining Disneyland. In fact, you should be worried about the other way around. WDW is big and has 4 parks and many many resorts, but if you want to really enjoy yourself, you'll need to really unlearn what you have learned.

The first misconception is that four theme parks should = four Disneylands. The advertising and marketing tricks people into thinking that but it's simply not the case. If you go in expecting each park to be that complete and full of things to do, you'll be disappointed.

I also came out really disappointed in the operating hours of the resort. Magic mornings, extended evenings... you think all of this is there to help you but it's just one way they control where their guests are at every moment of every day. Even though this is your week long vacation, you won't be staying at a park until midnight on a weekday.

Get used to the idea of Park Hopping because you really don't have a choice if you want to maximize your day. There's some really great things at WDW but you'll just have to spread out to see them.

Lastly, because of the resort's size and Disney hires people from all over the map, you're going to encounter many cast members that really don't have a clue or truly appreciate what their role is.

My advice is basically to lower your level of expectations considerably and you'll walk out enjoying it a lot more. Going in expecting more than Disneyland would be the wrong way to see the resort.

Visit my mice chat toy shop!
    http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

• Mouseketeer

I'll be a bit different here and say "it can." It just depends on the person. While at WDW, I overheard several different conversations about how things like being able to spend your entire trip on Disney property, the better dining options, more options in resorts, and how lame DCA is, all make WDW the much better choice. At least in those people's eyes.

Conversely, Disneyland can "ruin" WDW. When I mentioned to a few different people that I was going to WDW for the first time, I was asked if I had been to Disneyland before. When I answered yes, I was told there was no need to go to WDW since it's the same thing!
    People might also favor DLR since it has more rides crammed in, less time is wasted on getting around, some rides can be considered superior at DLR (PotC, Splash, Indy vs Dinosaur!, at least in my opinion), and there's that magic of being the original Magic Kingdom.

People like to pick favorites, but I personally love both resorts dearly and recognize there's plenty of room to improve in both places.
    "The way to get started is to quit talking and begin doing" -Walt Disney

After going to WDW, then returning to DL, you might be shocked by how small the place really is. At least that's how I feel when I go to DL after many trips in a row to WDW. Then I get adjusted and it's fine.

The one thing WDW truly has going for it is the immersiveness, but even that isn't nessessarily a plus. It's nice to have a Magic Kingdom with a lagoon out front, and be totally surrounded by a fantasy world, but the logistics of getting around the property really grind on you after awhile. As a local, for instance, I dread going to the Magic Kingdom because of all the hassle of parking and getting to the park. Whenever I'm at Disneyland, I'm always thankful for being five minutes away from my hotel at the end of the night.

So to recap, yes WDW may change how you view Disneyland, but it doesn't ruin it at all, and in some cases even strengthens the perception of the place.

• Me and Tommy Kirk

I think you should do a bit of research on WDW before you go. There's only one park which could be compared to Disneyland, which is the Magic Kingdom. It's larger, and of course there are similarities, but it really is a lot different from Disneyland. There's no Matterhorn, and Fantasyland is completely different. They have Liberty Square instead of NOS. Threre's no Mr. Toad or Alice, but they do have Country Bear Jamboree, Carousel of Progress and the old Swiss Familly Robinson. Tom Sawyer Island is old school Disneyland, but they don't have a big It's a Small World facade (just a little "store front" in Fantasyland) or the Subs.

Epcot, Animal Kingdom and Disney Studios are different experiences altogether. I've been to WDW 6 times in the last 18 years and I find that Epcot is my favorite every time. Keep in mind that these theme parks are a few miles away from MK. Disneyworld is the size of a city - 43 square miles!

I really don't think it's necessary to compare Disneyland to Disney World. They are both amazing, wonderful places to visit and make memories.

• Johnny and Me!

My advice as a DLer who has been to WDW: Don't bother trying to ride all of the attractions that are already at DL. Hall of Presidents, Carousel of Progress, and TTA were my favorite things at the MK, probably because DL does not have them. EPCOT was amazing as well.

• All-American

Quote Originally Posted by Semiquaver View Post

Conversely, Disneyland can "ruin" WDW. When I mentioned to a few different people that I was going to WDW for the first time, I was asked if I had been to Disneyland before. When I answered yes, I was told there was no need to go to WDW since it's the same thing!
    People might also favor DLR since it has more rides crammed in, less time is wasted on getting around, some rides can be considered superior at DLR (PotC, Splash, Indy vs Dinosaur!, at least in my opinion), and there's that magic of being the original Magic Kingdom.

People like to pick favorites, but I personally love both resorts dearly and recognize there's plenty of room to improve in both places.
    Agreed here. When I first went to Disneyland, I had the classic "this place is so small!!!" thoughts. But I quickly found that many things at Disneyland were superior to things at WDW. After going to Disneyland, riding Pirates, Dinosaur, Small World, and seeing Fantasmic leave me a little disappointed at WDW. So don't worry about one ruining another - there are so many differences, you can learn to appreciate them both.

Quote Originally Posted by dfan07 View Post
    My advice as a DLer who has been to WDW: Don't bother trying to ride all of the attractions that are already at DL. Hall of Presidents, Carousel of Progress, and TTA were my favorite things at the MK, probably because DL does not have them. EPCOT was amazing as well.
    That's my advice. A really good way for a Disneylander to enjoy WDW is to visit the Yesterland attractions - the Carousel of Progress, the Country Bears, the PeopleMover (Tomorrowland Transit Authority), and arguably, Tom Sawyer Island in its original state. Visit the other attractions unique to WDW as well, like the Hall of Presidents or Mickey's Philharmagic.

• Shubisha

WDW does ruin Disneyland actually, but for all the same above reasons. Tarnishes some of the quality that gets put into DL stuff and tarnishes people's opinions about what to expect at DL. And with it nabbing any new rides DL tries to build, it can be hard to get some momentum to show people otherwise.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by dfan07 View Post
    But also make sure you catch the east coast versions which are different and/or superior. At WDW's Magic Kingdom, The Haunted Mansion is clearly better; longer ride, more scenes, improved sound, better Constance and Leota. Splash Mountain is different enough that you shouldn't miss it; more elaborate dark ride portion, although the final drop at DL is more thrilling (and wetter). Pooh is a lot better, and Snow White has a much better ending (and Fantasyland rides offer Fast Pass, so if you haven't been able to get on Peter Pan lately...) For a nostalgia kick, WDW's Magic Kingdom also has a retro Space Mountain, which will be reopening soon.

At Disney Hollywood Studios, don't miss the best version of TOT, and TSMM with Fast Pass and a much better queue. At Animal Kingdom, Everest is like Matterhorn on steroids, and as for Dinosaur, I wish people would enjoy it for what it is, instead of comparing it to Indy (how many rides would stand up to comparison with that classic?). Dinosaur is one of my WDW favorites because of the feeling of being plunged back to prehistoric days, and seeing these amazingly lifelike dinosaur AAs.
    Last edited by disneyfann121; 11-06-2009 at 10:29 AM.

• Banned User

To answer the OP'S original question, I don't think that either resort ruins the other. But there are some skewed perspectives. I've heard people question whether there is any point visiting DLR after having been to WDW, with the assumption that the west coast resort will pale in comparison. Hopefully forums like this will convince people that both are well worth visiting, offering a different kind of theme park exerience, and unique and magical memories.
    Last edited by disneyfann121; 11-06-2009 at 10:27 AM.

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

At the studios and MK, I would focus on the attractions that don't exist here, or which are significantly different than the Anaheim versions. Spend more time in the two parks that we don't have. That's my approach.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast