Page 1 of 7 1234 ... LastLast

• MiceAge Columnist

Lights of Winter - A Decline by Degrees?

Hopefully I'm wrong on this one, but shouldn't Lights of Winter be up and visible by now?

Or if not actually standing in Epcot, it's usually off in the third parking lot at Epcot (and visible to drivers-by)... but it's not. I looked for it yesterday.

Worst sign of all, the new passholder magazine mentions all sorts of holiday decorations by name, but not Lights of Winter.

I know, I'm being conspiracy-minded. I hope the Lights are still coming. To imagine them as a budget cut would be sad indeed.
    Kevin Yee
    MiceAge Columnist

I am the author of several Disney books:
    Jason's Disneyland Almanac - a daily history of Disneyland
    Walt Disney World Hidden History - tributes, homages, and ride remnants at WDW
    Your Day at the Magic Kingdom
    Mouse Trap
    Tokyo Disney Made Easy
    101 Things You Never Knew About Disneyland
    Magic Quizdom (The Disneyland Trivia Book)

“The press [should be] a watchdog. Not an attack dog. Not a lapdog. A watchdog. Now, a watchdog can't be right all the time. He doesn't bark only when he sees or smells something that's dangerous. A good watchdog barks at things that are suspicious.” – Dan Rather

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • How do you do?

Blog Entries

Re: Lights of Winter - A Decline by Degrees?

Quote Originally Posted by KevinYee View Post
    Hopefully I'm wrong on this one, but shouldn't Lights of Winter be up and visible by now?

Or if not actually standing in Epcot, it's usually off in the third parking lot at Epcot (and visible to drivers-by)... but it's not. I looked for it yesterday.

Worst sign of all, the new passholder magazine mentions all sorts of holiday decorations by name, but not Lights of Winter.

I know, I'm being conspiracy-minded. I hope the Lights are still coming. To imagine them as a budget cut would be sad indeed.
    I've been reading about this too Kevin, and almost posted this same thread last night. I have never been to WDW for the holidays, and was looking forward to seeing the Lights of Winter, as I have heard many good things about them...it would be a shame, as if something is missing from the celebration, to not see them and know they have been there for years before, like the Country Bear Christmas show (which I have also never seen.)

Hopefully, the rumor that they will return next year as all LEDs will be true, but why take it down for a year to convert anyway? Seems like they might quietly slip away before anyone notices....

And just as an FYI, many people have expressed concern at the Disney Parks blog...
    Last edited by yoyoflamingo; 11-09-2009 at 01:00 PM.
    It's a Zip-A-Dee-Doo-Dah...Tip for Today!

• Hello there

Blog Entries

That's really sad news. I hope they are still going up. I have always enjoyed them. They are very beautiful to see and very festive.
    Fratsor Sister - Delta Mu Chi Alpha

ΔΜΧΑ

• Minion

That would be more of a Decline by Huge Chunk!
    I want my cake back!

Quote Originally Posted by yoyoflamingo View Post
    I've been reading about this too Kevin, and almost posted this same thread last night. I have never been to WDW for the holidays, and was looking forward to seeing the Lights of Winter, as I have heard many good things about them...it would be a shame, as if something is missing from the celebration, to not see them and know they have been there for years before, like the Country Bear Christmas show (which I have also never seen.)

Hopefully, the rumor that they will return next year as all LEDs will be true, but why take it down for a year to convert anyway? Seems like they might quietly slip away before anyone notices....

And just as an FYI, many people have expressed concern at the Disney Parks blog...
    I dunno, maybe they'll return if there's enough complaints?

or maybe somethings just delayed and we'll still see them this year I hope.

I mean they switched over the light show at the studios to LED without any issue so I have no idea why that'd take an extra year at Epcot.

It'd be sad to see this sort of thing glow away forever
    "We all have sparks, imagination! it's how our minds... create creations!"

Crap! I think it is. They should be up or as kevin states, at least in the parking lot by now. but they are not. Last week, a friend of mine who works in entertainment at MK, said they had heard they were NOT going up this year. I completely discounted this statement.... seriously.... a entertainment castmember quoting an unknown epcot attractions manager as saying that the lights of winter will be no more this year.

But combined with the absense of it being mentioned as a holiday offering, and its noticable absense from even the parking lot.......

that is not a decline by degree. Its a fricken rip off and a rape of a major Epcot holiday tradition. Maybe they should just discontinue the candle light processional in favor of a Beach Boys Cover band singing Holiday favorites. (rant over.... sorry. but I feel better now)

It's looking very unlikely they are returning this year.

Of all the Holiday displays, this was was the most quintessential to me in getting me in the Holiday spirit. It was simpler than the Osborne Lights, but also more elegant, and it had the best music loop of all the Christmas loops. Plus it was a perfect entrance to Holidays Around the World.

I just don't understand why Disney wouldn't think anyone would notice or care. Lots of families frequent the World during the Holidays, more than any time of the year. Surely they'd notice if the centerpiece of Epcot's holiday decorations was gone.

•   
    • Chicago Gal

Blog Entries

My photopass photo from 2007.

My friend Jennifer took this one

Last edited by Barbaraann; 11-09-2009 at 07:32 PM.

• Little Miss Sunshine

They aren't going up this year, I had heard that last week and all signs point to it now. I wrote on the Disney Parks blog too. I will spend less time at Epcot this year for Christmas, that was one of my favorite parts of the season.

Denise
    Denise

www.mousesteps.com

Favorite TDL Typo:

Quote Originally Posted by TDLFAN View Post
    I think it will give more pipping pervs the reason needed to go parasailing
    on Bay Lake.

• Banned User

Kevin dear.. you know that all about WDW is a decline in degrees..but I have to say, in regards to Lights of Winter at EPCOT, I hope they are gone for good. They really need to upgrade the light displays into the 21st century here in our puny WDW parks. Why not finally install a light display along the way of the eye-popping chandelliers seens at DLP, or the magnificent Lights of romance technology from TDL???
    Lights of Winter, and Osborne.. *yawn*.. they have run their course.

Lights of Winter - A Decline by Degrees?
    I wouldn't say its a decline by degrees. More accurately, the decline is more like falling off a cliff.

As has been observed for some time now, if you cut a lot of little things, gradually, people either don't directly notice or else they realize something is missing but can't quite put their finger on it. But this isn't really such a little thing as Mickey-shaped butter or smaller portion sizes. All those lights are pretty noticable (or not, by their absence) and more readily identifiable by guests what it is that's missing.

People are more likely to notice the missing Lights of Winter. All to save a few bucks.

EPCOT will not be as magica a place this holiday season, The Lights of Winter are not going up this year. :-( Reason....cost cutting

Hopefully next year they will do away with the tired Osborne Lights as well.

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Relax

*sighs*

Boo. Hiss...

Thank you WDW, for making it easier for me to move away, now I'll just take my vacations in CA instead.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • How do you do?

Blog Entries

It looks as if EPCOT cast members have been told that the Lights of Winter will not be shown this year.

It makes me sad, since I was really looking forward to seeing it.
    It's a Zip-A-Dee-Doo-Dah...Tip for Today!

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Relax

Are they still doing the Santa's? I hope they didn't cancel them too.

Page 1 of 7 1234 ... LastLast