Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast

• Iron-Clad Allie

Space Mountain Rehab Track Refurb On The Fast Track Horizon

In order to ensure structural integrity and longevity of the Space Mountain track system, it is rumored by Screamscape that the coaster track has been re-adjusted and modified. New cross bents are replacing old ones that are attached to the supports. Many of the supports are new as well.

The repainting of the lift hill rocket has also taken place. We also will see new blue exhaust ports. It will be interesting and fun to hear reviews on the soon-to-happen soft opening, rumored to occur within a week's time from now.
    To Boldly Go Where No MiceChatter Has Gone Before!

• Minion

Re: Space Mountain Rehab Track Refurb On The Fast Track Horizon

^^ Will look forward to checking the updates in person next Spring...am hopeful that the quality of the refurb is comparable to what they did with Haunted Mansion and Spaceship Earth (touchscreens notwithstanding).

There still isn't any sychronized audio, is there?
    Down with the Hat

• Iron-Clad Allie

Quote Originally Posted by tasman View Post
    ^^ Will look forward to checking the updates in person next Spring...am hopeful that the quality of the refurb is comparable to what they did with Haunted Mansion and Spaceship Earth (touchscreens notwithstanding).

There still isn't any sychronized audio, is there?
    Synchronized audio has not been mentioned in current rumors. Seems like this info would be out front if sync auto were to be. Still, never say never.

One thing that you have mentioned is a definite, tasman. The refurb will be of high quality.

Blog Entries

One thing that you have mentioned is a definite, tasman. The refurb will be of high quality.
    I want some of what you've been smoking. A high quality refurb would have included onboard audio, new effects, possibly new cars, and a grand lighting scheme to the outside of the mountain in addition to the changes made to the queue on the inside.

What we received was a passing grade it seems, but more near a C than an A. We need to see it in person before giving out final grades, but there's far too many details missing for me to claim it a high quality. Maybe the new queue and post show will make up for everything they cut out. Only time will tell.

• Iron-Clad Allie

Quote Originally Posted by kcnole View Post
    I want some of what you've been smoking. A high quality refurb would have included onboard audio, new effects, possibly new cars, and a grand lighting scheme to the outside of the mountain in addition to the changes made to the queue on the inside.

What we received was a passing grade it seems, but more near a C than an A. We need to see it in person before giving out final grades, but there's far too many details missing for me to claim it a high quality. Maybe the new queue and post show will make up for everything they cut out. Only time will tell.
    Didn't commit myself to a "highest quality" appraisal. I simply projected that it will be of high quality. The refurb will likely be minus the on board audio. New cars are out of the question for thetime being.

Don't count the new effects out just yet. I fully expect better than a rating by most who experience the newly renovated ride.

• is too darn hot.

Onboard audio would require significant re-engineering as the equipment would increase the weight of the rockets considerably. Remember when they first installed DL's onboard audio it deformed the tracks so much they had to completely retrack the ride.
    The Right Honorable Count Boogie Bonz of Random, at your service.

On Track for Weight Loss!

•   
    • Circle of Ancients

I want some of what you've been smoking. A high quality refurb would have included...new effects, possibly new cars...
    This refurb includes both of those elements, as has already been mentioned on many sites.
    -Bill

eh, its worth a wait and see. The retracking was great at DL but the queue was only slightly improved and the darker ride was great but the lack of other effects was meh :P

We'll see what WDW manages to pull out of its bag. I'm curious of the Peoplemover looks in on the queue or the ride?
    "We all have sparks, imagination! it's how our minds... create creations!"

• is too darn hot.

The PeopleMover (Tomorrowland Transit Authority) passes by the lift hill.
    The Right Honorable Count Boogie Bonz of Random, at your service.

On Track for Weight Loss!

• Iron-Clad Allie

Quote Originally Posted by BassBone View Post
    The PeopleMover (Tomorrowland Transit Authority) passes by the lift hill.
    Cool! That makes for quite a dynamic interfacing.

Blog Entries

Bill I haven't seen a single site that says we received new cars. All videos and photos seem to be the same old cars. Reports indicate the only new effects we got on the ride are a few new star projections. I hope those turn out to be wrong.

I'd sincerely like to be proven wrong on this refurb. But after reading everything that was originally approved for this refurb only to see much of it removed is disheartening.

The queue looks nice, we'll see how it is in person. I'm hoping the post show is much improved as well. However there's no new cars, no on board audio, no lighting package to the outside of the mountain, etc... Those were all things originally included.

•   
    • Circle of Ancients

Okie dokie... well, then in that case, I am telling you that the rockets are new. Yes, they still have the same chassis, and a few of the parts are the same, but they are most definitely new rockets. The biggest visual difference you'll notice are the entirely new seats, and if you were underneath, the wheel base. As far as on-ride effects, most projections are now digital, as are the sound effects, and the tunnels have upgraded lighting. But the tunnels are still the same.
    -Bill

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Bill View Post
    Okie dokie... well, then in that case, I am telling you that the rockets are new. Yes, they still have the same chassis, and a few of the parts are the same, but they are most definitely new rockets. The biggest visual difference you'll notice are the entirely new seats, and if you were underneath, the wheel base. As far as on-ride effects, most projections are now digital, as are the sound effects, and the tunnels have upgraded lighting. But the tunnels are still the same.
    I assume you are a CM or some other insider, Bill? Your report sounds very promising. I just think that some will necessarily be disappointed because this refurb won't produce an exact clone of the DLR SM. Personally, I hope they keep some of the retro look, and I've read that they will keep the more thrilling, roller coasterish track layout. The DLR SM is snazzy and enjoyable, but just not as thrilling as WDW's version, IMO.

Also, it seems to me that Disney has made sure that each SM around the world has significant differences, just as they do with the Haunted Mansion(s). I think they can upgrade while still maintaining that tradition.

• Future Princess

Sorry if this question is deemed stupid - I haven't been keeping track of the WDW SM refurbishment.
    Will the track be smoother, like the one at DLR? Cause I'm most likely visiting WDW again in Summer '10 after having not visited since I was 6 years old and I recall hating Space Mountain there as it was too bumpy. So will it be a smoother ride once the refurb is finished??
    "...Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness."

• Iron-Clad Allie

Quote Originally Posted by PrincessIzzie View Post
    Sorry if this question is deemed stupid - I haven't been keeping track of the WDW SM refurbishment.
    Will the track be smoother, like the one at DLR? Cause I'm most likely visiting WDW again in Summer '10 after having not visited since I was 6 years old and I recall hating Space Mountain there as it was too bumpy. So will it be a smoother ride once the refurb is finished??
    One of the consistant objectives at each SM atound the world has been tracks that allow for as smooth of a ride as possible. The fuss-budgeted WDW management and accountaneers have for years allowed the SM tracks to steadily delapidate. That said. I doubt that they would spend the money and time re-adjusting and modifying the tracks and adding new parts) without intentionally trying to effect a significantly smoother ride.

Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast