• Iron-Clad Allie

Space Mountain Refurb - Soft Opening Full Ride POV

Space Mountain soft opened over the weekend! Check out the video. Most of the POV is too dark to tell much. Still, what I can see looks great. The train doesn't appear to be very shaky, which means the track must be smoothed down. Am anxious to hear actual reviews from MCers that try out the ride soon.
    To Boldly Go Where No MiceChatter Has Gone Before!

• Life Long Disney Fan

Re: Space Mountain Refurb - Soft Opening Full Ride POV

As I said on another post, I have been on the test rides. The ride is definitely showing an improvement in smoothness. However, the interactive pre-show was not running, but the post-show is much nicer than before. I am glad it will re-open officially on the 22nd, but I wish they had done a little more (other than smoothing out the ride) for the rider. More backstory and some audio would have been nice considering they took down one of the more popular rides for so long to do a refurb. I can't see the point of doing something half-way. While you've got it down, make it the best it can be, not just pretty it up a little.

I realize a lot of the work was operational, but instead of doing this refurb and either doing another one in a little while (or just leaving it as it is now), why not go all out?

Either way, I'm glad it will be back up in full very soon. It is still a great ride, it is just disappointing that they didn't make it what it could be.

• Iron-Clad Allie

Quote Originally Posted by Figment Fan View Post
    As I said on another post, I have been on the test rides. The ride is definitely showing an improvement in smoothness. However, the interactive pre-show was not running, but the post-show is much nicer than before. I am glad it will re-open officially on the 22nd, but I wish they had done a little more (other than smoothing out the ride) for the rider. More backstory and some audio would have been nice considering they took down one of the more popular rides for so long to do a refurb. I can't see the point of doing something half-way. While you've got it down, make it the best it can be, not just pretty it up a little.

I realize a lot of the work was operational, but instead of doing this refurb and either doing another one in a little while (or just leaving it as it is now), why not go all out?

Either way, I'm glad it will be back up in full very soon. It is still a great ride, it is just disappointing that they didn't make it what it could be.
    Too bad Lasseter isn't there to oversee the project. He about blew a gasket when he found out that they were going to budget for half of the plans for DCAs Radiator Springs. He gave the accountaneers a swift kick in their respective tushes, and it is now going to be built right from the onset.
    To Boldly Go Where No MiceChatter Has Gone Before!

Blog Entries

From what I've seen of videos (I haven't been on it) is that the queue and post show look really nice and you can tell this is where they put most of their effort. The games aren't earth shattering but they look like a fun way to keep you occupied while you wait. The post show is really good as well, excited to see what they have behind wraps in the green room. I know its just tvs, but that room is green for a reason. Interested to see what they green screen in behind you.

The on ride photo is in a weird location, but at least its there. However at 18 bucks I won't be getting one. The ride may be smoother but other than that and maybe a new projection or two on the dome its identical. While I'm disappointed without the audio I can forgive that due to budgetary reasons, I can't forgive the fact that they didn't touch the re-entry tunnel. Its still a lame 70's effect. Huge disappointment.

As I watch the videos though I just can't help but think how amazing this would have been if they'd only have done two more things. Add onboard audio, and change the re-entry tunnel. I keep hearing the track supports were upgraded to support the audio in the future so maybe there's an option. My guess is that they're holding out on those things waiting for a sponsor to throw some cash at it again and then they can do that. So maybe I'll pray for a sponsor.

All in all I'd grade this out at a B- which is a shame because this is THE ride in Tomorrowland and the ride many people think of as THE ride at the Magic Kingdom. It should be an A+, and it could have been with some more effort.

It is better than it was before though.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Figment Fan View Post

You didn't notice any difference in the visual effects during the ride?

Blog Entries

There's a new sparkle effect at the end of the launch tunnel, there's also supposedly a new galaxy projection towards one of the first turns that's apparently fairly noticeable. Of course there's also the new on ride photo camera flash if you want to call that an effect.

Then there's a lot of things that have been fixed that hadn't worked in a long time, but no, there's nothing new and flashy in the way of effects.