Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

The Poly or Contemporary??

I am planning a trip May of 06, and CAN NOT decide where I want to stay. (Contemp. or Poly.) I've stayed in the Contemporary numerous amounts of times growing up. I've started wondering since I am now a little older (31) if I might enjoy the atmosphere more of the Polynesian. I am also single but that doesn't really factor in. The good thing about the Contemporary is the monorail going right thru the 4th floor. What are some of your opinions? Also will the Poly. renovations be done in May of 06? Won't the Contemps. still be going on? Thanks!

• I'll Break your Thumbs!!

Re: The Poly or Contemporary??

I love both hotels...

I stayed at the Contemporary 2x, and the Poly 1x.

I love the contemp for nostalgic reasons, it was the first hotel I stayed at as a kid with my parents and then again when I turned 18. It is convenient with the monorail, and has some nice dining...

However with that said, I think I like the poly better now that I am older. I too am 31yo, and I stayed at the poly about 2yrs ago, and it was so nice.... Had a room that overlooked the 7 seas lagoon, and the monorail runs right outside that hotel as well. The grounds are big, the rooms are very nice, and it has the best restaurant, which is Ohana's...

I think I would pick the poly, just because it is very relaxing with its nice white sand beach, tropical atmosphere, the luau, and Ohana's.

EDIT: I think I would stay at the contemp if I could get in one of the newly renovated rooms that look so nice.

• Former CM

I haven't stayed at either one, but I have visited both. Just from that I would stay at the Poly as I liked the way things looked around there. The beaches were nice and the views were just as nice too. Plus the monorail is right there to take you to MK.

The Poly for sure!! Just my 2 cents!

• Rock Star Minion

Will this be your last visit ever to WDW?

Try the Poly at least once, and if you don't like it, you can always go back to the Contemporary on your next visit.
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

• DLR -> WDW Cast Member

Animal Kingdom Lodge in a Savannah view room. I don't think I'd ever pay that much to stay at the Poly (Tiki room nightmare) or the Contemporary (which looks too non-Disney to me and more like a Holiday Inn).

Nothing beats waking up in the morning, going out into the balcony, and drinking your hot chocolate and watching the animals just kickin' it down below you.

I'd do AKL w/ Savannah view again in a heartbeat... but even with my CM discount in January it's JUST out of my price range.

• Princess in training

There is nothing like a lagoon view conceirge room at the Poly.. watching the castle change colors at night.. looking out onto the Grand and Contemporary

As far as service.. to be totally honest.. the Poly isn't what it used to be

• Monorail Racer

The Poly's definitely worth a stay if you haven't been there before. The Contemporary is great, but the Poly has a nice atmosphere about it as well and the location is on par with the Contemporary.

• Been there-Doing it again

I've stayed at both and since you've never stayed at the Poly that's my 100% unequivocal recommendation. The atmosphere is completely laid back and different from the Contemporary. It's like an island of calmness right in the heart of all the Disney "gotta see and do everything right now" mindset it's so easy to get into. The monorail is not that far from any of the rooms and not any farther than any of the garden view rooms of the CR. Not that I'm knocking the CR but everyone should stay at the Poly once.

Contemporary. The new rooms there are amazing and a great majority will be done by the time you visit. The Poly is also undergoing renovations, but theirs have just started.

• Having a Grand Day!

If your Artsy-Fartsy like I am, the Contemporary is the way to go. The new rooms (and the hallways\lifts) are amazing, and nothing beats the monorail in the tower.

If you want a laid back atmosphere and don't mind 70's kitch, the poly may be better.

I personally can't stand anything less than "Landmark", and I feel at home in the Contemporary. (Most feel the same way about the Polynesian)

I was at the Contemporary a few hours ago for dinner. BTW, there is no more consistently fine dining location than the California Grill. I'll be dreaming of that dinner tonight!

Anyway, the entire 10th floor of the Tower has been completed as well as half of the ninth floor. They don't appear to be doing any work right now beyond what has been done. Instead half of the South Garden Wing is closed off and fenced in, but the lights were on in many of the 3rd floor rooms and they have been renovated. the other half of the wing remains open and in use and the rooms are the old garrish 90s design.

The one weird thing I noticed was the elevator won't let you off on the tenth floor, so I am wondering if they aren't using those rooms. Or maybe word got out that some folks were paying for brand new wonderfully modern rooms, while others got dirty, old, falling apart rooms and complained so Disney decided to not rent out the new rooms yet. Anyone know?

There still are rumors stating the North Wing and Tennis Center will be demolished for a DVC Resort, which I pray doesn't happen, but believe will.

The Contemporary rooms are just that. very modern, hip, and stylish. If you are at all familiar with the upscale 'W' chain, that's what I would compare these rooms to. Some people may not find them 'warm and cozy.' Everyone has different tastes.

I personally intend to stay at the Contemporary in early '06!

• Having a Grand Day!

12th floor concierge has moved to 10 for now, so they must have a private floor.

I stayed at the Contemporary this week; it was pleasant. You wouldn't go wrong with staying there.

• Having a Grand Day!

Referb or Non Referb?

Just wait till 2007... This hotel should be fighting the GF to get it's title of 'Flagship' back from when it was stolen. (Does anybody know when the referb is complete if it will get a four star rating like the rest of the Deluxe Resorts?)

----

I just had a relative (Non-Disney Type) tell me that she prefered the old rooms, saying the new ones were 'Too Brown'. I was always the nosh one in the family...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast