Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Monorail Teal..

• Banned User

Monorail Teal..

Saw monorail teal the other day. Someone here claimed it was a new color combination based on the combined colors of the two monorails that crashed a few months ago. My question is.. how did this monorail come to be? Is it entirely new? or did they just put the two "good" ends of the monorails involved in the crash together and presto!?
    BTW.. I like the new color.. very pretty.. but looks more like "aqua" than teal.

Re: Monorail Teal..

they put the two "good" ends together

• Banned User

Thanks Chris.. that's what I thought. God forbid they would actually spend on building a new monorail.
    So Chris, when are you going back to (more crowded than the MK) TDL???

•   
    • Circle of Ancients

TDLFAN, Disney is building a new monorail. Well, Bombardier is, but they've always done the Florida trains. No use wasting two good halfs.

(I know, I'd rather see all the trains be brand new trains instead of just one, and an automated system, and it expanded, but you know...)
    -Bill

Quote Originally Posted by TDLFAN View Post
    Thanks Chris.. that's what I thought. God forbid they would actually spend on building a new monorail.
    So Chris, when are you going back to (more crowded than the MK) TDL???
    Not sure, my company might send me back to asia in a few months, then I can think about it.

Beyond that, I do want to take a more lengthy trip to Japan in the next 1-2 years

• Banned User

I hope it happens soon.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill View Post
    (I know, I'd rather see all the trains be brand new trains instead of just one, and an automated system, and it expanded, but you know...)
    Maybe they should give OLC a call and ask for some cash and help??

• MiceChat Administrator
    • Following The Optimist

TDLFAN, Disney is building a new monorail. Well, Bombardier is, but they've always done the Florida trains. No use wasting two good halfs.

So are these the Mark VIII? Or are we just getting a new Mark VI?
    -Monorail Man

•   
    • Circle of Ancients

It is not known. I know nothing except what was released to the press, and all that has been announced is one new train. I don't know if it will be the same design or not.
    -Bill

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Relax

I'm not surprised that they salvaged what they could from both trains, although I would still ride it, I'd be a little apprehensive getting on Monorail Teal, I can't lie. LOL

It's good they're bringing in another new train though, I don't have a problem with the current design, would like a better AC system though. Or a more consistent one rather, some cars are too hot and stuffy while others the AC works a little too well.
    Last edited by SummerInFL; 11-23-2009 at 09:11 AM.

From what I seen (don't take my word on it) but they will be re-constructing the two crushed halves to make another one after teal. Even more creepier.
    DisneyTwins
    Since May 2003

• May the F=ma be with you

Quote Originally Posted by Disneytwins View Post
    From what I seen (don't take my word on it) but they will be re-constructing the two crushed halves to make another one after teal. Even more creepier.
    The crushed noses are just piles of scrap. What can be salvaged will be re-used.
    TDLFan, why would they even consider building an entirely new train when they have two good halves which can be thrown together? They could not wait for a new one to be built either. It puts a lot of strain on the hosts and the system itself to run on 10 trains for a minimum of one year. The best solution is to use what you have and put it in to service as quickly as possible.
    Aside from the new train to bring the fleet back up to 12, the older trains should not be replaced for quite some time. After all, the oldest trains haven't even reached their life expectancy yet.

I don't know what model the new train will be, if there is one. I'd be surprised either way since a MVIII will have to run with the older trains for a few years. Then again when the time comes to replace all the trains, there will be a fairly new MarkVI still running around.
    Either situation will complicate things slightly for maintenence and the whole system itself. And I doubt they'd want to replace a train that is probably less than ten years old.

Quote Originally Posted by Phonedave View Post
    Well, if your parents can't teach you, maybe you can learn from a taser.

• враг народа

Blog Entries

It is not known. I know nothing except what was released to the press, and all that has been announced is one new train. I don't know if it will be the same design or not.
    I doubt it is even an entirely new train. If just Car Six, on Pink, and Car One, on Purple, were damaged that still leaves a whole train remaining that just needs drive units. Even if car five, on Pink, and car two, on Purple, were also damaged, that still leaves one third of a train good for use. It would be a heck of a lot cheaper to have a local firm repair the chassis, if that is possible, and have new bodies built than having Bombardier build an entirely new train.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Monorail Man View Post
    So are these the Mark VIII? Or are we just getting a new Mark VI?
    Hello Mr H.!!!!

I know this is beating a dead horse.. but what WDW needs is a new monorail system with the classic look of the current monorail fleet, but operated under the same automated systems the Tokyo monorail operates. Stations need to be upgrades to accomodate wheelchairs and strollers without the need of manual ramps, and nicer safety gates that do not look so jailbird ghetto.
    And please.. NO MORE "waiting for traffic clearance"!! Some transport system of tomorrow the WDW monos have turned out to be.

That "Waiting for traffic clearance" bit is the worst part.

• 1st visit 1975

Quote Originally Posted by lazyboy97O View Post
    I doubt it is even an entirely new train. If just Car Six, on Pink, and Car One, on Purple, were damaged that still leaves a whole train remaining that just needs drive units.
    This makes a lot of sense. But could image if they combined ALL the good cars and you had a 10 car train. oooooooh yeah.

Quote Originally Posted by TDLFAN View Post
    What WDW needs is a new monorail system with the classic look of the current monorail fleet, but operated under the same automated systems the Tokyo monorail operates. Stations need to be upgrades to accommodate wheelchairs and strollers without the need of manual ramps, and nicer safety gates that do not look so jailbird ghetto.
    And please.. NO MORE "waiting for traffic clearance"!! Some transport system of tomorrow the WDW monos have turned out to be.
    A new system? We can't get 10 feet of new track! More likely, someday when they have to make a totally new set of trains you'll see the same automation Bombardier uses else where with TDL's attendant in the cab. The station floors would have to be raised - again, since the Mark IV had an even bigger step. The current Mark VI doors sink down before opening to be flush and watertight when closed with the current design which dictated the current floor height. I agree there has to be another way to level the floors. As for the station gates, hey if you have to raise the floors why not new cool gates.

Like Disneyland, because of physical limits like buildings and beam size WDW is pretty well stuck with a size and type of train. I really like walk thru designs and bigger trains/beams used by Seattle ALWEG,Hitachi & Scomi but why are they all so darn "Dog Ugly". Monorails should look like they are doing 300mph even when stopped in the station. I know your fond of TDL's monorails (and they are technologically cool) but my God a little Mouse moderation.
    Last edited by Timon; 11-24-2009 at 08:09 PM.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast