• Honorary Jungle Skipper

Non-E-Ticket Holiday Overlays

I was thinking about holiday overlays today and how WDW doesn’t get them anymore. I know there are those who feel passionately about whether or not Florida should ever get the Nightmare Before Christmas overlay at the Haunted Mansion. For the sake of this discussion, let’s just pretend for the moment that we all agree that the reasoning against it really is that shutting down such a high-profile attraction for two months a year (and altering it for several more) is bad for business (I know we don’t and won’t really agree on that, but we’ve had that discussion already).

So with the headlining E-ticket attractions off the table, wouldn’t it be a good idea to look at doing something special for less popular attractions? While missing The Haunted Mansion might arguably ruin lots of people’s rare or once-in-a-lifetime trip, there are lots of other attractions that wouldn’t have nearly as big an impact should they be shut down for periods of time, but conceivably could draw back the repeat visitors should they get a special holiday upgrade (this, I think, was why The Country Bear Jamboree was a great choice for this treatment).

That’s a long, wordy way of asking, what less popular attraction do you think might make for a good holiday overlay candidate?

Re: Non-E-Ticket Holiday Overlays

My first idea - The Carousel of Progress: Christmas Through the Years
    Probably you get the idea from the title alone. Each scene in the Carousel is altered to feature Christmas décor. Dad and the family enact scenes which show the different ways Americans have celebrated Christmas through the years. The background music changes to whatever songs were popular in that decade, and so on. Even add some kind of “Christmas Through the Years” (or somesuch) song to do the work of “There’s a Great Big Beautiful Tomorrow.”

The Carousel is about progress and change, but it’s also about home and family. A great fit for Christmas.

Who knows, if this resulted in any attendance-boost, it might even keep the classic attraction around longer than it might stay otherwise.

• Internet.Serious Business

Perfect Park Acres, the latest in Hover-Burb Communities

Do I have ideas for the non-E-ticket attractions to get Christmas overlays? Not off the top of my head I don't. But I approve of this idea 100%. We need things like this in Florida.

Country Bears, Tiki Room, Carousel of Progress. They are good examples of this...but honestly, this makes me think of how we need something like a Beauty & the Beast-esq character or attraction that could handle a Christmas overlay. Because outside of E-Tickets (Splash, Jungle, Mansion, Small World) MK doesn't seem to have good options for overlays.

You anticipated my next candidate:

My second idea – Mele KaTIKImaka

It’s Christmas in Hawaii and the Enchanted Tiki Room denizens are celebrating! Of course, Mele Kalikimaka, is prominently featured, and other Christmas Carols are Hawaii-fied (“Have Yourself a Merry Luau Christmas,” “Home For the Hula-days,” “etc.”). Perhaps Michael, Pierre, Fritz and José divert the show at times by leading their feathered friends in songs from their homelands.

Also, Iago and Zazu are not around during the holidays.

Also, Iago and Zazu don’t come back when they take down the overlay.

• ...is busy, please hold.

^ Rather have that then "New Management"

But, Zazu can stay the holidays,he's done nothing wrong.Probably he can come back after the overlay as a "hidden mickey" sort of thing.Of course, this Mele KaTIKImaka show would need new AAs,new songs and a complete recast of the Tiki Hosts.

As for another non E-ticket overlay, Tomorrowland Snowflake Speedway.
    TLSW gets a little icy with the track bounded by snow drifts, the queue would also be decked for the holidays.
    Don't think of a gun as a weapon.
    Think of it as a third arm that magically
    shoots bullets!

Zazu certainly isn't the annoyance that Iago is, but he's still out of proportion and in a completely different visual style with the rest of the Tiki Room birds. We'll send him out with a smile and a handshake while Iago gets punted through the door.

• Happy Haunt

Quote Originally Posted by clockworkmonkey View Post
    Zazu certainly isn't the annoyance that Iago is, but he's still out of proportion and in a completely different visual style with the rest of the Tiki Room birds. We'll send him out with a smile and a handshake while Iago gets punted through the door.
    YES PLEASE!! I don't remember the much about the Tiki Room before it's current show but I do remember I loved it as a kid and my parents hated it. Now everyone hates it. Iago is super annoying!

I really like the COP idea. I don't go on it much because I'd honestly rather wait in like for a different ride than walk on that but if it was Christmas I'd do it.

• Occasional Reader

Disagree on the Carousel of Progress, the fact that the scenes are seasonal holidays and already include Christmas, kind of negates it as an option for me.
    Would you leave the last scene alone or alter it to be more christmassy..I doubt it could be got right. I'd be more receptive to a full overhaul and some new scenes altogether...yep.. and then potentially overlay it, but I'd spend the budget elsewhere rather than a Christmas overlay to current CoP.
    Smile, you never know who's looking !