Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Question What if there were NO new Magic Kingdom attractions?

*updated/corrected*

What if I told you that, for the next 10 years, there would be NO new attractions at Walt Disney World’s Magic Kingdom. No A, B, C, or E ticket rides or attractions. Some new parades and live entertainment, yes, but NO $100 million + new experiences. No new lands. No removal of Mickey’s Toontown Fair. No Ariel’s Undersea Adventure. No new character Meet-and-Greets. No Pixie Hollow.

How would you feel? Would you want to go back anytime soon? Thank about it for a minute, before you keep reading.
    Ready?
    Now, what if I told you that INSTEAD of new attractions, that WDW Magic Kingdom would be systematically upgraded over the next 10 years. The money would go to:

FANTASYLAND
    - The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh would be converted to the more elaborate Pooh’s Huney Hunt, using TDL technology.
    - Mickey's Philharmagic upgraded to a digital projection system
    - Revive the daily Merlin's King of the Realm/Sword in the Stone ceremony

MAIN STREET
    - Replace the red cement on Main Street with real bricks.
    - All of the Main Street buildings would receive a fresh coat of paint, yearly.
    - The Magic Shop would be brought back to the Magic Kingdom (could even use Houdini’s, like they now do in Anaheim DL).
    - Nickelodeons would be brought back to Main Street, taking over the Main Street Cinema (which is now just another store for Miley Cyrus CDs and overpriced books/prints).
    - Convert all Main Street lights to more energy efficient, longer lasting LEDs

TOMORROWLAND
    - Tomorrowland would be completely refurbished, and a unified theme would be established.
    - The Carousel of Progress would receive an updated show/storyline, with new animatronics.
    - Indy Speedway would be converted to electric cars, such as at HKDL, and the grand stand/queue would be renovated.
    - Keep the Tomorrowland Terrace/Noodle station OPEN, not just for busy days and special high-priced events
    - Add the Anaheim style Buzz Lighyear blasters to the WDW version of the ride; and upgrade the chase tunnel video screen (which goes ALL the way back to the 1970s If You Had Wings!) to a digital projection system

ADVENTURELAND
    - The Tiki Room would be converted back to original show, with upgraded animatronics.
    - Steel drum bands would again play in Adventureland
    - The Adventureland Veranda Restaurant would re-open, to provide additional meal options. A more affordable meet-and-greet could be place here, QUITE easily. Safari Mickey, Aladdin characters, Lion King characters, etc.
    - Jungle Cruise upgrade, fire/wire effects, piranha attack, etc.

FRONTIERLAND
    - The Country Bear Jamboree would re-introduce its yearly Holiday overlay.
    - Bring back a SHOW to the Diamond Horseshoe Saloon (let's at LEAST get an eat coast version of Billy Hill and the Hillbillies!)

GENERAL
    - Outside vending/food carts would be cut back.
    - Merchandise would again be specific to each land, not a generic “Disney Store” selection everywhere you went.
    - The Mark 6 monorails would be upgraded one at a time in “retro” fashion, similar to Anaheim DL, but with more cars and new air conditioning units.
    - Monorail pylons would be pressure washed to remove the years of grime and grease.
    - More character topiaries at the TTTC and MK
    - All visible rooftops would be cleaned/refurbished.
    - Less emphasis on "Convert your kid into a princess/pirate/cartoon/water buffalo etc. for only $89.99!" type boutiques

LIBERTY SQUARE
    - Nightmare Before Christmas overlay would FINALLY be included at the WDW Haunted Mansion
    - Open up the bottle neck/narrow street passage from Fantasyland at the Columbia Harbour House.

- on, and on, and on, and on…….
    Would the trade-off be worth it to you?

The real question here is: do you NEED a new E-ticket every few years, to keep the park fresh, at the expense of regular upkeep? Or can you heavily invest in existing infrastructure, and keep people coming back? $100+ million for a new ride/attraction, or take ALL OF THE MONEY and spread it everywhere around the park.

Last edited by chris2fett; 12-04-2009 at 12:25 PM.

• The 'Big Dreams' Kid

Re: What if there were NO new Magic Kingdom attractions?

I like the upgrade a lot. It's a lot like Disneyland.

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Super Duper!

Wow! Those are some excellent thought-provoking points! I'd rather see the freshening up and upgrading of current experiences, rather than a bunch of new stuff. Partly because I've never been, so it's all new to me, technically, but also because (from what I hear) this is what needs to be done- much moreso than adding rides.

If they were to get the park back up to REAL Disney standards, then I say that that would be an acceptable trade-off.

Are there really no brick pavers on Main Street? Yikes.

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Relax

The second option please.

• Californian Fox-Wolf

Count me in for the latter.
    Please...don't call me simmer, call me Mike Folf.
    I am a Canis Lupus Vulpes Americanis Califius, otherwise known as a Californian Folf.

"Cool shades, Mike!"

Art Tweet Comic Tube

Yep, number 2 for me also...

• Pongo is my hero.

I love 4 and 11

I wish MS side of TLand matched the FLand side of it. :/

The powerwashed pylons really add a nice touch. I think there's a picture of them washed by TT at Epcot somewhere around here.

one hundred and one

• Mouseketeer

Quote Originally Posted by chris2fett View Post
    [...] over the next 10 years. The money would go to:

-All of the Main Street buildings would receive a fresh coat of paint.

I would hope that more than one coat of paint would be applied over the course of 10 years

Other than that, I would say that is a great strategy to keep attracting both new and returning guests to the park. Additions like Pooh's Hunny Hunt and the NBC overlay would make a tremendous difference, although I'd count the Pooh ride as more of a new ride than a simple upgrade.
    "The way to get started is to quit talking and begin doing" -Walt Disney

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Starcruiser.. crash crash

I think I'd be down for a decade of cleansing.

Visit my mice chat toy shop!
    http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

I'll take curatin #2, Monty!

Aside form the Pooh's Hunny Hunt they should be doing all of that stuff anyway...and adding an attraction or three, including a couple of E-Tickets.

• Fortuosity!

I'd take list 2, even I if strongly doubt there is space for Pooh's Hunny Hunt. However upgrades to that ride's special FX (and Peter Pan's and Jungle Cruise's too!) would be wonderful.

Can I add having at least one not overpriced/character dining option at Cinderella's Royal Table? Dinner may not be a "character meal" in the full sense but paying $43 for a fixed meal with a unnecessary "show" and photo package is very unappealing to me.
    I like The Happiest Millionaire. What's wrong with that?

Blog Entries

I've pretty much been asking for this for a while. Don't add anything new, just make everything that's there pristine and top of the line like it once was. Its the same response when someone brings up a new park. I don't want a new park while the 4 we have are in terrible shape. Bring all 4 up to the point where they can't really be improved anymore, then consider a new park.

• Happy Haunt

I'm going with the majority here. Fix what we've got. I've been 3 times this year and I don't feel like I need new rides to enjoy my time there.

Quote Originally Posted by Angie_Duke View Post
    I'd take list 2, even I if strongly doubt there is space for Pooh's Hunny Hunt. However upgrades to that ride's special FX (and Peter Pan's and Jungle Cruise's too!) would be wonderful.

Can I add having at least one not overpriced/character dining option at Cinderella's Royal Table? Dinner may not be a "character meal" in the full sense but paying $43 for a fixed meal with a unnecessary "show" and photo package is very unappealing to me.
    In my original post above, I'm thinking that the Adventureland Veranda, WHICH ALREADY EXISTS but has been closed for some time, could be readily converted into a character dining meet-and-greet.

I'm adding ideas here as people bring them up.

Wouldn't it be GREAT if somehow we could get such a list, like a petition, the the heads at WDW? It would probably have to be championed by the likes of Lassiter to really get it going, however. Fat chance he'll ever see such a post or read such a letter.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast