Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

why is its a small world inside?

Why is the small world attraction inside? All of the other small worlds are outside. Is it because of Florida's climate?

• Exec Asst to Captain E.O.

Re: why is its a small world inside?

All of the "it's a small world" attractions are inside on a soundstage ... it has nothing to do with the Florida climate. The versions in Anaheim (original), Paris, Tokyo and Hong Kong all have outdoor loading, but then quickly travel inside, passing the facade. They exit the building again just before unloading.

If you're asking why the Florida design boards from inside, it was simple design choice. They did many things differently, and perhaps smarter, in Florida, which if you remember, was the only other Disneyland-style park to be built at the time. One of the things they *thought* they could get away with was the lack of the ornamental facade in Orlando that had been a signature look to the Anaheim attraction. Underestimating just how iconic this was, a smaller reproduction of the facade was added to the interior queue's back wall. From a design perspective, the Orlando "it's a small world" just looks like any other Fantasyland dark ride from the outside, unfortunately.

Other design choices turned out to be improvements on the Anaheim original, such as covering the Tea Party (which can't operate in Anaheim rain as the discs become too slippery) and covering the PeopleMover/WEDWAY/TTA track. This wasn't one of them.

They learned this lesson when they built Tokyo and the subsequent parks ... always include the facade.

The lack of an outdoor portion most definitely has to do with climate

• Banned User

Paris and Disneyland are Anaheim are the only two with out-door loading... although all the other versions but Disney World have the detailed facade.

• Fortuosity!

It probably does have to do with climate, can you imagine sitting in a boat for 2-4 minutes of the ride in a Florida thunderstorm or summer heat/humidity? Wouldn't be very pleasant. They were smart to put it all inside but not so clever to remove the clock tower exterior.

They got it right in Tokyo which has the exterior look of Disneyland but WDW's old interior. I do like how they at least tried in 2005 to bring that look here as it does make the load area much more kinetic and attractive.

IMO if they tried putting the clock tower outside down that narrow pathway between it and Peter Pan and stuck between the alpine village look of the surrounding buildings it wouldn't look good.
    I like The Happiest Millionaire. What's wrong with that?

• Occasional Reader

Quote Originally Posted by Angie_Duke View Post
    It probably does have to do with climate, can you imagine sitting in a boat for 2-4 minutes of the ride in a Florida thunderstorm or summer heat/humidity? Wouldn't be very pleasant.
    I take it the ride remains operational in "weather" whereas it probably would close if the load area was outdoors.
    Smile, you never know who's looking !

• Happy Haunt

I've never been to Disneyland but was researching a trip and I happened to see that there were multiple rides that were outdoors to this. My first thought (which is a valid concern in FL) was "what do they do if it rains? That would suck to be on in the rain." So what do they do in the rain? IMO the rides in FL being indoors is a must.

Blog Entries

I really like the rides that go outside for a brief bit because they offer a great kinetic energy to the park. However, in FL they have to be done very carefully due to the weather. Maelstrom is one ride that reminds me of this. It has an outdoor portion, but very briefly and its covered. World of Motion also had a fantastic outdoor portion but remained covered.

Hmm, I have another take on this...I agree completely that climate is a factor, however I think I read somewhere long ago that where Disneyland attractions were added slowly since it opened in the fifties, MK was built more "all at once" and thus some corners were cut, aesthetically speaking, for financial reasons. MK's Fantasyland just isn't nearly as "cool" to me as Disneyland's, It's a Small World being the bluntest example of this. It presents as a "box", not a fantastical icy castle. That being said, I still give credit to MK for superior functional design that keeps guests out of the sun while on attractions and while waiting in line.

I'm surprised that no one has mentioned that Paris has a roof over the boats while they are outside the building. If weather was an issue in FL, they could have just built an awning over the path.
    Entrance of Its A Small World, Disneyland, Paris. pictures from amusement parks photos on webshots

• 1st visit 1975

Quote Originally Posted by lily23 View Post
    Hmm, I have another take on this...I agree completely that climate is a factor, however I think I read somewhere long ago that where Disneyland attractions were added slowly since it opened in the fifties, MK was built more "all at once" and thus some corners were cut, aesthetically speaking, for financial reasons. MK's Fantasyland just isn't nearly as "cool" to me as Disneyland's, It's a Small World being the bluntest example of this. It presents as a "box", not a fantastical icy castle. That being said, I still give credit to MK for superior functional design that keeps guests out of the sun while on attractions and while waiting in line.
    I agree, in historical perspective the building of WDW Phase 1 streched (then named) Walt Disney Productions to it's financial limits. While weather played a role, I think your right, it was cheaper to put it all indoors. Also a "cool" Fantasyland didn't exist in Disneyland until 12 years later in 1983 and the Disneyland Paris IASW's covered boats until the 1990's. So there were no good examples to follow.

I was happy they enhanced the loading area with the clock facades as compared to the old black room with ramps look of the 70's. While not perfect, it's a lot better than before.

• Beach Expert

A beach town that Harbor Blvd was named after

Quote Originally Posted by GraceysGirl View Post
    I've never been to Disneyland but was researching a trip and I happened to see that there were multiple rides that were outdoors to this. My first thought (which is a valid concern in FL) was "what do they do if it rains? That would suck to be on in the rain." So what do they do in the rain? IMO the rides in FL being indoors is a must.
    A couple rides, usually the Teacups and Alice in Wonderland, usually close down in the rain. I think this is due to their mechanisms getting wet and causing problems more than discomfort for the guests though.

The thing is that most of California including Anaheim has a Mediterranean climate which means there is a rainy season and a dry season. The rainy season goes from October until April. The rest of the year receives little to no rain at all. So the rains come when the park is least crowded (but that is quickly becoming a thing of the past) so there really is no need to take extra measures to add protection to certain rides from the rain.

When you see how hard it rains as well as how often at WDW you would imagine the designed much of the queues to be inside. It also can be horrendously hot standing outside in the sun there. There are also much larger eating areas inside and under roofs. Imagine trying to get 50,000 people underneath something during a sudden downpour.

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

Quote Originally Posted by mrwagnal9 View Post
    I'm surprised that no one has mentioned that Paris has a roof over the boats while they are outside the building. If weather was an issue in FL, they could have just built an awning over the path.
    Entrance of Its A Small World, Disneyland, Paris. pictures from amusement parks photos on webshots
    They probably never would have thought of that when WDW was designed back in the late 60's.

But the summers in Florida are very hot/humid and it rains ALMOST EVERY SINGLE DAY. You can pretty much set your watch by the rain in the summer (it'll rain usually anytime between 3pm-6pm, usually for an hour tops, but sometimes longer and sometimes shorter).

Also remember that until 1983, the Fantasyland facades at both Disneyland and WDW had the Medieval tournament look going on, then Disneyland gave their Fantasyland a major overhaul.

• Yay Mickey!!

May I also add that HKDL's iasw has an indoor load/unload and queue. Here is a link to Allears.net and a photo of a portion of the queue. The Imagineers borrowed much from MK's look.

http://land.allears.net/blogs/jacksp...World%2004.jpg

-Justin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast