WDW Ignored Monorail Operating Manuel

The orlando Sentinel reported today that WDW ingored a clearly written warning in the operations Manual that the current monorails are not to be operated in reverse, even under the best of conditions.

Their response was that they had 40 years of operating experience and they evolved away from that warning and added many replacement safety features. In the same breath they also say they have reinstituted that recommended policy and now all reverse operations require a "spotter".

Appearantly this does not mean there has to be someone in the reverse nose cone, but there does have to be a spotter who will be in contact with the driver while the train is in reverse.

This includes thoses time when the train over shoots its stop by a foot or two and must back up. I did notice on my last trip, the train I was boarding pulled into the station VERY slowly, and repeated this behavior at the next station.

I still think automation would make them run better. By no means do I suggest getting rid of the pilots, they would remain and focus strickly on the safe operation of the train. A castmember who use to be a pilot has choosen to share with me that automation is something that has been considered before, and is clearly being considered again but that no decision has been made. However I don't know if that was him speculating so I am unsure of how much of his statement was true. As reasonable as this sounds, and as much as I agree with the idea, I kind of got the feeling he was speaking out of turn.

Anyway, that was the big news in Orlando/WDW today.

• Christmastime for Rocker

Blog Entries

re: WDW Ignored Monorail Operating Manuel

Very interesting thread you started. I can't believe they would do something like that. It sounds as though they were acting as though they could do anything for that one moment.

Re: WDW Ignored Monorail Operating Manuel

No offense but I don't give a damn what the Sentinel says. Media these days are as smart as a damn bowling ball.
    DisneyTwins
    Since May 2003

• Nerd

Thumbs up Re: WDW Ignored Monorail Operating Manuel

Quote Originally Posted by Disneytwins View Post
    No offense but I don't give a damn what the Sentinel says. Media these days are as smart as a damn bowling ball.
    what he said!

• Pongo is my hero.

OS won't let this story go.

Sucks a life had to be lost- if true.

one hundred and one

I don't agree with a lot of the things that Disney does, but this is just an over-the-top effort to revive a story that faded away months ago. Must be a slow news day for the Orlando Sentinel.

• Shubisha

And how exactly else are they supposed to merge back onto the Magic Kingdom monorail track from the Epcot track to get to the roundhouse if they're not allowed to reverse -EVER-? Or get back out of the roundhouse? Track changes have always required this and will continue to always require this unless you have a track merging thing at both ends of the round house, or any other switchoff point, which would allow the train to switch to the roundhouse and then continue out the other end and switch back onto the track.

The operating guideline about not operating in reverse is for normal operations, i.e. don't just decide to run backwards from the polynesian to the TTC. Disneyland has done such backwards operations, but when they do there of course can only be 1 train running on the track and henceforth there's no issue.

Quote Originally Posted by almandot View Post
    Disneyland has done such backwards operations, but when they do there of course can only be 1 train running on the track and henceforth there's no issue.
    Actually, they've done it with two...one continues reversing out of the Downtown Disney station, and sits just outside while the second train is in the station.

•   
    • Circle of Ancients

And how exactly else are they supposed to merge back onto the Magic Kingdom monorail track from the Epcot track to get to the roundhouse if they're not allowed to reverse -EVER-? Or get back out of the roundhouse?
    With a pilot in both nose cones. "Reverse" on a monorail means going in the direction opposite in which there is a pilot in the nose cone. If there is a pilot in both nose cones, all that must be done is switch the controlling sides, with both pilots remaining in place.
    -Bill

• Hopper's Mortal Enemy

Cool Re: WDW Ignored Monorail Operating Manuel

Quote Originally Posted by Disneytwins View Post
    Yeah! And all Asians are poor drivers! Yeah! And them black folk do love them some watermelon! Yeah!

Admittedly, it is more amusing to hear complaints about "the media" from a guy that has his own TV show.

A bientot.
    Remember
    What the dormouse said
    Feed your head!

You've read it; you can't unread it!

• Occasional Reader

And how exactly else are they supposed to merge back onto the Magic Kingdom monorail track from the Epcot track to get to the roundhouse if they're not allowed to reverse -EVER-? Or get back out of the roundhouse? Track changes have always required this and will continue to always require this unless you have a track merging thing at both ends of the round house, or any other switchoff point, which would allow the train to switch to the roundhouse and then continue out the other end and switch back onto the track.

The operating guideline about not operating in reverse is for normal operations, i.e. don't just decide to run backwards from the polynesian to the TTC. Disneyland has done such backwards operations, but when they do there of course can only be 1 train running on the track and henceforth there's no issue.
    I wishes I were as cleverer as yew were, ya must bee jeaneus to spotting this, i fort they cud onli go frontways.

Slow news day seems to be an understatement, it can't take much to work this out.
    Smile, you never know who's looking !

• 1,200 Miles from da Mouse

Sides that there was several other violations found in the OSHA investigation...including not training employees on portable fire extinguishers...are you serious??? granted some of the violations OSHA has found are menial, but bottom line is that Disney could have easily prevented this...from what information that we have at the moment, still waiting on the final OSHA report though..

the complete article in case you wanted to just click and read: OSHA cites Disney World for multiple safety violations following monorail investigation | TheDailyDisney.com from OrlandoSentinel.com
    The test of success is not what you do when you are on top. Success is how high you bounce when you hit bottom.
    -George S. Patton