Voters
50. You may not vote on this poll
  • I though it was amazing!

3 6.00%
  • I was pleasantly surprised.

11 22.00%
  • I couldn't tell a difference

8 16.00%
  • It was a HUGE disappointment. Major failure.

28 56.00%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

• Honorary Jungle Skipper

Re: What did you think about the new Space Mountain

Quote Originally Posted by Dustysage View Post
    That's the whole point - they WERE supposed to get a whole new track (but with the same layout) which would be stronger and smoother and allow the ride to operate for many years to come. However, all they ended up doing is welding and replacing the worn out sections. It feels bumpier than ever and totally painful.
    Right. I realize there are lots of other reasons they should've gotten that new track. I'm just not sure I buy that they couldn't have done some kind of on board audio even though they didn't replace the track too.

• Fortuosity!

Here's a list of what was supposed too and originally budgeted to happen, courtesy of Martin:

- New track
    - New Trains with on board audio
    - AAs to replace the astronauts (which were replaced but not with AAs)
    - New re-entry tunnel
    - New, quite chain lifts like on EE
    - Additional LED effects in the launch tunnel
    - New exterior lighting
    - The outside painted (which it really needs)

That's a rough list, you can probably double check with him to find out more, but what Disney did to the ride and outside was essentially the bare minimum in the time they had it actually closed. And the time frame it was closed was not to help tourists who would have missed the attraction, but to prevent park capacity from begin affected by it so much. Remember that it's closure overlapped with HoP and caused TTA to be closed too. The effect of the closing was definetly felt on the rest of the park, as the CMs who worked then. It's this 1 ride closing affecting the park so much that helped get the Fantasyland expenasion green lit.

The ride was tested with Disneyland's soundtrack playing from speakers put on the vehicles, but it wasn't for anything in the end. The problem with the audio comes not from the speakers but from the batteries which is what weighs so much. By the way the new trains still would have had the same shape.

The Imagineers essentially did what they could with so little time and money and even in that time frame they still could have done the exterior lighting and paint job, along with replacing the lift hills and actually having AAs put in etc. If the rest of MK is having building work done* why can't SM? They even pressure washed the attraction, but paint it? Nope.

I'll finalize my opinion on it when it ride it which will likely be "better, but not as good as it should be" when I go in 16 days. I do understand though why so many are disappointed with the outcome. What scares me the most is what 74 said will likely be true. 15 years from now, it'll be the same ride. Hope those who are "pleasently suprised" will still be by then.

*Even the castle is having the water drained around it and going to get a large scrim covering the bottom front portion like the back is now.
    Last edited by Angie_Duke; 12-23-2009 at 09:58 AM.
    I like The Happiest Millionaire. What's wrong with that?

• Banned User

When I went to Disney World, we asked what it would be like once it reopened and they claimed "Just like the Disneyland one." Sorry, MK, but what you have is a nice start, but they need to finish the shop, not a copy of the DL version, but why not new lighting effects on the ride to help support a storyline? new track and music, etc?

• MiceChat News Team
      MiceChat Round-Up Crew
      MiceChat Administrator
    • MiceChat Contributer

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by kramden88 View Post
    The reason why they didn't put SM through a massive overhaul was because they wanted to limit the amount of time that it would be closed. It's an E-ticket ride and when Disneyland refurbished its SM it was closed for an extended time. It was not as much of an issue for Disneyland because much of the attendance is comprised of in-state guests, people who visit much more often than the visitors to WDW. There are a lot more people who go to WDW sporadically and they wanted to limit the number of people who would miss out on this attraction. That is the reason.
    Frankly, I think they did a very good job. What else would you have liked them to have done?

I call BS on this. Let's compare.

Disneyland's Space Mountain was closed for two and a half years. This left guests with little to do in Tomorrowland aside from Innoventions, Star Tours and Autopia. We had no TTA (peoplemover), no Buzz Lightyear at the time and no Nemo subs. DL's Tomorrowland was a ghost town. In comparison WDW's Tomorrowland had Carousel of Progress, Stitch, Astro Orbiter, Grand Prix Raceway (Autopia).

At Disneyland, during the 2 and a half YEAR Space Refurb, park goers could chose to go on the other E-tickets that were on a rotating refurb schedule like Pirates, Matterhorn, Big Thunder, Indy, Mansion, Small World or Splash Mountain. Or they could run across they esplanade and ride Soarin' Screamin, or Grizzly and later on, Tower.

In contrast at the WDW Magic Kingdom during the 7 month Space refurb there guests could go on the newly refurbed Mansion, Pirates, Splash, Thunder, Small World or they could hop on a tram and go on Rockn' Rollercoaster, The Great Movie Ride, Toy Story Mania, Star Tours or Tower at the Studious, Mission Space, Spaceship Earth, The Seas with Nemo and Friends, Soarin' Journey into Imagination, Maelstrom and TestTrack at EPCOT, Everest, Kilimanjaro Safari, or Dinosaur at the Animal Kingdom or enjoy the two Water Parks.

There really was far more to chose from during the WDW refurb in a shorter time frame than there was at Disneyland during a longer refurb. You are correct in saying that Disneyland's guests are mainly comprised of locals. 60% I believe. But your argument regarding local guests and out of towners does not stand because the out of towners still had plenty to choose from in WDW.

WDW had the perfect opportunity to rechristen a crown jewel attraction and make it something really magnificent. Had the imagineers had their way it would have been something amazing. They cheaped out, plain and simple. They have proven in the past that they CAN do it as WDW's Mansion is far better than DL's at the moment. They chose not to. Too bad
    "All my life I've had one dream, to achieve my many goals.
    Homer Jay Simpson

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Relax

^Yes.

• Member of Baxter's Army

Quote Originally Posted by kramden88 View Post
    The reason why they didn't put SM through a massive overhaul was because they wanted to limit the amount of time that it would be closed. It's an E-ticket ride and when Disneyland refurbished its SM it was closed for an extended time. It was not as much of an issue for Disneyland because much of the attendance is comprised of in-state guests, people who visit much more often than the visitors to WDW. There are a lot more people who go to WDW sporadically and they wanted to limit the number of people who would miss out on this attraction. That is the reason.
    Frankly, I think they did a very good job. What else would you have liked them to have done?
    Do what Disneyland did' no matter how many people will miss it

totally underwhelmed.

• Fortuosity!

Quote Originally Posted by HMF View Post
    Do what Disneyland did' no matter how many people will miss it
    How many people will miss it will never outweigh the number of people who will enjoy it after it's done.
    I like The Happiest Millionaire. What's wrong with that?

Although i never went to WDW (GOING THIS OR NEXT YEAR YAY) i still am a big fan of SM and to me i looked too plain.I was impatient to see the lift with moving stuff and projections.I tough Disney would cheap out (AGAIN!).WDW management is so ignorant of there actions.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • How do you do?

Blog Entries

Considering the amount of time it was closed, I expected much more, not simple touchups. I'm worried that by doing a stopgap job instead of a much needed overall, Disney will simply need redo this again sooner rather than later.

It's a short term solution yet again.
    It's a Zip-A-Dee-Doo-Dah...Tip for Today!

• Future Princess

Quote Originally Posted by clockworkmonkey View Post
    I've heard a lot of people say that onboard audio would've required a new track or extensive strengthening of the current track because of all the added weight. Really? In the age of iPods, GPS tech, and cell phones that can blare MP3s, onboard audio would have to be so heavy that they'd need a new track? If that's really true, I'd be scared to ride along with any overweight park guests.
    Agreed! Is the track really so feeble that an extra added kilo or two could result in a broken track and a dangerous ride?

I've only ever been to WDW when I was younger and I've been to DL several times, yet I've only ever riden the WDW space mountain.
    The photos of me coming off are priceless! I look like I'm in pain. Perhaps that could give WDW management a bit of an insight into how rough and bumpy the ride is considered?
    I'm eagerly waiting to go back to DL to try out SM there, as I was too chicken last time, after my WDW experience.
    I was hoping they would give the ride a similar fix to that of Disneyland, but apparently they're too cheap to even consider this
    "...Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness."

• Pongo is my hero.

Quote Originally Posted by aimster View Post
    Even if the economy wasn't in the toilet, this is the version WDW would have given us. That's just how pathetic WDW's management is. They always cheapen out in the end.

They weren't with HM and HoP and look at the outcome. WDW management may give low budgets, but WDI can do a lot with a little.

one hundred and one

Quote Originally Posted by Fishbulb View Post
    I recently had the chance to experience the newly refurbished Space Mountain at Walt Disney World's Magic Kingdom. I will admit that after being spoiled with the redo of Disneyland's Space Mountain, which took two and a half years, my expectations were pretty high. Still I was hoping, despite all that I knew of WDW management and the shorter timetable, that there would be a noticeable improvement in the aged attraction. Unfortunately there is little that was improved.

Approaching the attraction the first noticeable change is the blue/green color scheme. It works and gives the show building a fresh look. Entering the building, however we are still on a platform above a pit of silver, rubber balls that appear not to have been touched during the refurb and the same tired backlit wall sign with an updated display. No video screen rotating images to set up story, just the same tired, static, lighted fixture.

Entering the long tunnel leading to the loading station we, again, see the same old displays of optical effects of stars and planets. Again, no real change. Would it have killed them to perhaps update these headache inducing windows with some more, up-to-date effects? Suggestions I could offer would be perhaps a pepper's ghost nebula effects that would constantly be in motion or other spacecraft shooting in and out of wormholes in space.

We then approach the newly installed queue games. Simple as they are they are actually very well done and have the desired effect of making the wait more entertaining. My only complaint regarding the games are the painful, hard plastic controls visitors are asked to hit repeatedly . OUCH!

Visitors load from the same area too except that the once open area above the queue has now been enclosed and digital projections create a window out into "space". Nice.

The experience turns sour once on the ride. The seats may have been refurbished but the same old track creates the same painful experience. After dipping down into the blue strobe tunnel and being stunned by the flash of a newly installed on-ride photo system, we trudge up the same old clunky lift hill. Completely breaking the sense of wonder the chain lift clanks noisily and pulls you passed virtually untouched "futuristic" scenes. Dusted mannequins perched on archaic space age sets sit lifeless as cars clank by. The 70's technology that was once amazing, now sits as a museum piece for all the world to see. Pretty sad.

Cresting the hill the ride feels unchanged as the sharp turns churn away at riders. They really cheaped out here. There is NO onboard sound system like there is in Disneyland. That would have required them to focus more on a new track that could support the added weight. Instead, it's the same old track with the same old pain and the same old sound of screams from riders in the dome on the ride. The only true improvement is the enclosure of the queue that ends up making the ride in the dome darker.

After the same, tired sonic boom tunnel effect we are then deposited into what can only be described as a foyer at a convention center. The same, tired unload area with no story attachment and little theme aside from the color scheme. it is here that you can get a glimpse of your on-ride photo before getting on the moving sidewalk that takes you back to the front of the attraction past the nearly untouched scenes of the future.

On my visit, (i rode it twice on different days) the new green screen effect was down.

THIS is how the WDW management updates a signature attraction nowadays? They did such a wonderful job on the Haunted Mansion. Mansion went from a usual 5 minute wait to an average 20 minute wait because of it's amazing refurbishment. Space Mountain's refurb, by contrast, is an embarrassment. Why did they cheap out when they knew that quality brings the crowds. Nobody cares to repeat something that is so painfully familiar. They could have had a world class attraction on their hands and, instead, they have an old grey mayer gussied up to make it just a few more years.

Enough of me, what did YOU think about the refurb?
    I completely agree with every word here. Not at all worth whatever time and money they spent, they should have just left it alone until whatever point they are willing to give it the make-over it deserves...guess that's not going to happen any time soon... too bad

By the way, what new green screen effect? I was there in early December and again on Christmas eve, and it looked exactly as it does in the above picture both times...
    Last edited by lily23; 12-27-2009 at 06:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by SouthHrbrBlvd View Post
    Do you still disembark in that empty, carpeted room with the roller coaster track randomly running through it?
    yep!

• Pongo is my hero.

Quote Originally Posted by Casey Jr View Post
    When I went to Disney World, we asked what it would be like once it reopened and they claimed "Just like the Disneyland one." Sorry, MK, but what you have is a nice start, but they need to finish the shop, not a copy of the DL version, but why not new lighting effects on the ride to help support a storyline? new track and music, etc?
    I think CMs were shut out at first as to what was in-fact going on inside. It was very hush-hush for a while.

By the way, what new green screen effect? I was there in early December and again on Christmas eve, and it looked exactly as it does in the above picture both times...

It hasn't premiered to the public at all yet.

one hundred and one

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast