Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Re: What can be done to Hollywood Studios?

I really think HS is the park in need of the most help:

-First thing is first, take down the hat.

-I really think HS has sort of lost its way, does anyone in management know what the park is trying to be? A working studio? Not any more. A behind the scenes how movies work? Not so much. I really think they got it right with Sunset Blvd. That sort of 1920s Hollywood that never was and always will be. I would extend that theme tot he whole park-save for Pixar Place. The theme I would apply to the park would be one of the Hollywood Dream. The guests are aspiring actors who have traveled to try to have their big break. Each attraction would be a sort of audition. Tower of Terror for horror, RRC for music videos, Indy for adventure, Star Tours for sci-fi, and Muppets for comedy. Pixar Place for voice acting. That sort of thing.

-The park would have two themes, the Sunset Blvd. and then Pixar PLace

-I would take out the Backlot Tour and expand Pixar Place that way. Have rides based on the Pixar Films.

-Remove the HISTK play ground. Find something else to go there.

-I would also look at expanding the actual ground of the park. Whether it be in the back or off to the side where the parking lot currently is, the park needs more space and a better flow/layout.

-Lastly, I don't know if it would work due to the height of the Chinese Theatre, but at the back of the park I would build a make shift mountain with the Hollywood sign to act as a backdrop for the entire park. Again, don't know if this would work due to the fact that you would want that Hollywood sign to be 199 ft so no light has to be on top.

The park needs rides and lots of them to keep people in the park more.

• Honorary Jungle Skipper

Some things I'd like:

1) More cohesive lands. It may be too late to make this happen, but possibly renaming them and having entrance signs (like the Adventureland and Tomorrowland signs in the MK) would make things clearer, and the park easier to navigate (especially for first timers).

2) Turn Echo Lake into Lucas Land: Backlot Express becomes the Mos Eisley Cantina (complete with AA Cantina band). Sounds Dangerous becomes... Sounds Dangerous starring Indiana Jones. Scenes from the movies are played on a screen while cast members and selected guests provide sound effects live. Also include an educational section about how sound effects have been done in the movies over the years. And yes, trade the stunt show for an Indy ride (not necessarily a clone of Disneyland's).

3) More Pixar in Pixar Place. Another dark ride (preferably The Incredibles), a dining location (a better Pizza Planet actually reminiscent of the one in the movie or a Ratatouille restaurant). Some kind of little fun attraction along the level of the Mad Tea Party or Dumbo (though not another Dumbo) to add some nice outdoor visuals and simple fun to the park. Edna Mode's Clothiers.

4) Goodbye Backlot, hello more attractions.

5) Great Movie Ride doesn't need a massive overhaul, it needs a lot of TLC, and a better script. I wouldn't want to see modern movies mixed in.

6) Revamped/re-written Magic of Disney animation. Is it too much to hope that with Disney returning to hand-drawn animation, some might be done here again? Probably. How about taking this, Voyage of the Little Mermaid, and Playhouse Disney and turning it into a omnimover about the history of Disney animation?

7) Upgraded Fantasmic, back to nightly shows. That second part is even more important than the first.

• Now with 5% more insanity

Quote Originally Posted by Imagineer Scott View Post

DO NOT demo this! This is DHS history! The ride just needs a massive refurb. And this classic is not dead- classics never die.
    Still, most people aren't familiar with the some of the movies that tGMR showcases. I feel like those movies ought to be removed and replaced with new ones. Ones like Wizard of Oz shouldn't be touched. (except for updated AA's and such)

Call me crazy, but I LOVE the audio 3D this show uses. The haircut part is my absolute favorite. I mean, what other attraction offers what this show offers? None- and I would hate to see it go down to Phineas and Ferb. At least replace it with Cinemagique or Golden Mickeys.
    Yes, but it seems a little useless to only offer it seasonally.
    WDW doesn't want to deal with maintenance? Perhaps you're under the notion that they don't care about safety since they don't give big budgets. You're dead wrong- no pun intended. They take safety very seriously. And the dragon will probably be coming soon- just don't hold your breath. I predict 2012, for the 10 year anniversary.

Oh, they'll keep it up for safety, but that's about it. Cosmetically, some rides just look awful. Peter Pan in Fantasyland is in need of some major TLC. I'm sure it's safe, but it just doesn't look good at all.

• 1st visit 1975

Toon Town 2.0
    Between Pixar Place and the Animation Courtyard. You would enter through the Gag Warehouse hole in the brick wall or through a VehicleTunnel used by Eddie Valiant. Besides a Roger Rabbit Ride Ver 2.0 there should be a long overdue Fab 5 attraction.

[QUOTE=BANANAZ;1055724549][SIZE=5][COLOR=red] Still, most people aren't familiar with the some of the movies that tGMR showcases. I feel like those movies ought to be removed and replaced with new ones. Ones like Wizard of Oz shouldn't be touched. (except for updated AA's and such)

Most people might not be familiar with some of the movies, but I'd bet most people are at least somewhat familiar with MOST of the movies. The point of the GMR is to showcase the history of great American movies, and to do that you have to include some very old types of movies that the youngest guests might not yet be familiar with. GMR is meant to be partially educational and can be a great introduction to those movies.

More recent hits would become dated and need to be replaced a lot sooner than "Singin' In the Rain", "Casablanca", or "Tarzan."

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Starcruiser.. crash crash

Most important to the success of Disney Hollywood Studios is to focus less on the 'backlot' idea and more about what made Disneyland so successful in 1955.

Disneyland is the original Hollywood Studios theme park with lands that matched various genres of television and film.

The hat aside, Hollywood & Sunset are great ways to start the park with a nostalgic look at the glitz and glamor of Hollywood's heyday. Great shows and attractions are also abundant here.

And there's nothing wrong with having a "BACKLOT" land as part of the overall experience, but with more than half the park like that, it's a real let down. Disney needs to get back into full themed attractions. The concept of "this is all in a sound stage" is played out, done, and not exciting.

Star Tours shouldn't be on a movie set. It should be a part of a fully realized Star Wars world. Second, why are they starting out in Endor if that's the destination??

Someone mentioned Toon Town and I've always wanted that to come true. It'd be a perfect match in DCA but it's too late. Now since Fantasyland in MK is expanding and there wasn't much of a Toon Town to begin with, they have a real shot with making something amazing, complete with character dining.

There's a lot more to be done at this park for sure.

Visit my mice chat toy shop!
    http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

• Pongo is my hero.

Quote Originally Posted by clockworkmonkey View Post
    More recent hits would become dated and need to be replaced a lot sooner than "Singin' In the Rain", "Casablanca", or "Tarzan."
    I disagree about Tarzan. I'd replace Tarzan with The Lion King and make that the most modern film presented in the GMR. And then replace the Alien scene with Star Wars: A New Hope opening scene. Also add in Snow White somewhere.

And there's nothing wrong with having a "BACKLOT" land as part of the overall experience, but with more than half the park like that, it's a real let down. Disney needs to get back into full themed attractions. The concept of "this is all in a sound stage" is played out, done, and not exciting.
    I disagree. Rides like TSMM, MuppetVision, etc use it to their advantage.

Star Tours shouldn't be on a movie set. It should be a part of a fully realized Star Wars world. Second, why are they starting out in Endor if that's the destination??
    I think the exit is themed to Endor, like you've arrived... but I'm not 100%.

Someone mentioned Toon Town and I've always wanted that to come true. It'd be a perfect match in DCA but it's too late. Now since Fantasyland in MK is expanding and there wasn't much of a Toon Town to begin with, they have a real shot with making something amazing, complete with character dining.
    I agree. Except add in Roger Rabbit + Jessica Rabbit and the Toon Trolley ride that was never made

one hundred and one

• We'll hold them at bay

You exit through the store which is supposed to be themed to Tatooine. The entrance is Endor
    www.jamboeveryone.com
    Celebrating Disney's Animal Kingdom

as you enter the park make a cut thru to sunset blvd.
    (even my 3 yr old ask me why we have to walk all the way around)

add Roger Rabbit where Narnia and one man one dream is

have a walk way from that area to "the New Toon Town"

Gut the backlot tour and build originally 1 more pixar ride but up to 3 to least

eliminate indiana jones show and replace with a Indiana Jones ride with EMV's

Animation Courtyard have a centerpiece stage for rotating shows

Update Great Movie Ride

And consolidate lands titles

I disagree about Tarzan. I'd replace Tarzan with The Lion King and make that the most modern film presented in the GMR. And then replace the Alien scene with Star Wars: A New Hope opening scene. Also add in Snow White somewhere.
    Goodness no. GMR has Fantasia to represent Disney animation, and that should be the extent of it. Disney animation is everywhere else in the parks, and has a whole land dedicated to it at the MK.

I also agree with all of those calling for a Nightmare Before Christmas attraction (or a Halloweentown attraction that doesn't specifically recreate the movie's storyline). Given the movie's lasting popularity, broad general appeal and extremely devoted niche appeal, I'm surprised it hasn't happen. I'm guessing it's the holiday connection that keeps them from committing to this, but I think that's a mistake.

After they add the attraction, bring on another Halloween Party, this one in the studios aimed at an older market than Mickey's Not So Scary (not my idea, it's been rumored in the past).

• Occasional Reader

Quote Originally Posted by Tri-H20's View Post
    (Am I the only one who doesn't mind the hat?)
    No, I'm easy on it staying as well. Though I do tend to think the "move it" people may have a point, but the question is "where to ?"
    Smile, you never know who's looking !

• Occasional Reader

Quote Originally Posted by DonaldDuck View Post
    The guests are aspiring actors who have traveled to try to have their big break. Each attraction would be a sort of audition. Tower of Terror for horror, RRC for music videos, Indy for adventure, Star Tours for sci-fi, and Muppets for comedy. Pixar Place for voice acting. That sort of thing.

-Lastly, I don't know if it would work due to the height of the Chinese Theatre, but at the back of the park I would build a make shift mountain with the Hollywood sign to act as a backdrop for the entire park. Again, don't know if this would work due to the fact that you would want that Hollywood sign to be 199 ft so no light has to be on top.

I would
    1) Make it a working studio again.
    2) Make everything related to working in showbiz/movies, somehow. either as audition or demonstration. I think a lot of the existing things would fit this very easily. (IE cheaply!) Call it hollywood if you want.

The points borrowed above are reflective of this. The overall theme is a bit mish mash nowadays.

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Starcruiser.. crash crash

I disagree. Rides like TSMM, MuppetVision, etc use it to their advantage.
    How does Toy Story Midway Mania use the "backlot" concept to their advantage? You're having fun in Andy's room yanking your rope to shoot targets. I don't understand the logic you are presenting.

Muppet Vision's use of stages and sets is all about the Muppets original concept. It doesn't need to be "hollywood" and it isn't. The theme of that story is 3D involving Muppet Labs and not exactly the same as our idea of "Backlot" since the Muppets are putting on a live show to an audience. That's how it was in the Muppet Show and that's how it is with Muppet Vision 3D. It really has NOTHING to do with a backlot.

Attractions that make good use of the Backlot idea is Disney Animation and the Tram Tour that is no longer there.

You enter Endor and exit Tatooine Traders (tell me how that makes a lick of sense).

I guess they're ready for the next version of Star Tours on the backside.

Visit my mice chat toy shop!
    http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

• Occasional Reader

Quote Originally Posted by Coheteboy View Post

Muppet Vision's use of stages and sets is all about the Muppets original concept. It doesn't need to be "hollywood" and it isn't. The theme of that story is 3D involving Muppet Labs and not exactly the same as our idea of "Backlot" since the Muppets are putting on a live show to an audience. That's how it was in the Muppet Show and that's how it is with Muppet Vision 3D. It really has NOTHING to do with a backlot.
    It's the muppets demonstrating the pioneering concept for the studio, to be used by "the director" in his next blockbuster.

Or it easily could be without much change being needed.
    I think it would be dead easy to make everything in the park fit a concept of production, auditioning for, or demonstrating semi-ficticious movies.

Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast