Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Backstage Disney from a Castmember

I read the article by Rob Bloom about working as a character at the Magic Kingdom on the Jim Hill Media website and then I also saw it posted on the Rob Bloom writer website (http://www.robbloom.com/popculture.html). I've never worked at Disney but I've always been fascinated by it. The visuals that Rob Bloom described about Cinderella smoking and characters making out backstage was a little "too much information." I was wondering if anybody knew if that stuff was true or if that was just the writer getting creative?

• insufferable know-it-all

Re: Backstage Disney from a Castmember

'Course it's true... though CMs really shouldn't be making out in public, even if it is backstage. That's unprofessional behavior.

But watching Snow White and Alice play football backstage? Priceless.

Unusually and exceedingly peculiar and altogether quite impossible to describe...

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Get the Iodine!

Blog Entries

Hey toontown, you should remove the paranthesis at the end of the html because you accidentally made that part of the link and will send readers to an error page. But anyway, yeah I can see some of that stuff happening.

• Minion

Romance blossoms among Parade CMs for sure. I would see some making out from time to time while lounging on the floats in full costume backstage. Some of the other CMs would get annoyed with them.

One sniffed and said to me, "They're in Entertainment and they always have to be getting others' attention."

• Captain Hooks 2nd Mate...

it really upsets me when people who work/worked for Disney ruin the magic...
    They mainly do it cause they are jaded, that they got "screwed over" by Disney. Being a Cast Member is a trying job, becase you have to be happy all the time, and i tip my hat to all of you, but leave your problems with the mouse backstage, when going onstage, and when leaving for home...

Thanks for the tip, Wrassler. Here's that link again:

http://www.robbloom.com/popculture.html

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Prince Ali

Mwah!
    Peter Pan and Aladdin were huddled together in a corner of the locker room, their lips locked in a moment of pixie dust passion. Next to them, the Fairy Godmother cursed like a sailor while Snow White took a long drag on a Marlboro.

And so began my first day of work at Walt Disney World
    So begins the article.

<---- Begins to wonder WHY in the world didn't I apply for one of those
    WDW Summer Jobs at my college placement center. WHY? WHY? WHY?

You would almost think that Disney would have rules or policies in effect against that type of thing happening backstage. Then again, I guess it doesn't matter that much...as long as the guests don't see it!

• Nice Guy

Blog Entries

A. Who cares what happens backstaage? This is their home and they can relax in anyway they see fit. B. Why the hell get all worked up about something that happens off set? This is not your park.
    >>Alan<<
    Member 216

• Creative Director

if I remember right, I was told by someone who worked as a face character back in the 70s and 80s, that going on record and doing an interview, or writing an article about being a character and what goes on backstage is a huge no-no. She said she could be prosecuted for doing so.

but articles like this are floating around the internet, as well as almost all of the characters and parade performers with their pages at Myspace.
    so preserving the magic is alot harder these days.

also, remember, the majority of these people in entertainment are young people looking for a fun job for a limited amount of time. the joke around, play around, and do hell of a lot backstage. thats normal.

• Monorail Racer

This kind of stuff is fairly commonplace backstage. Telling the stories isn't so much about getting back at The Mouse as it is fascinating to a lot of people. Many don't want to know, but many more are dying to hear what exactly does go on backstage. Seeing Cinderella in full costume in the cafeteria... leg hiked up on the bench in a booth, taking a drag on a cigarette and looking a bit like a two-bit hooker is an image I'll never forget. I knew I was in for some very interesting times in my days of working for the Mouse.

I am truly interested in what happens backstage/offstage. I am smart enough to know that what we all see onstage is not real. I have been treated poorly enough by the cast in Main Street Bake Shop to know that everything is not all sweet and sugary behind stage! I also realize Prince Charming has more of an interest in Aladdin than Snow White or any other female character..so spill all the dirt and give us all good stories. We all have great stories from backstage and seeing Cinderella relaxing like a cheap hooker is nothing new but is still interesting to hear. I just hope that maybe they will change CINDERELLABRATION into CINDERHOOKERABATION as it will attract a bigger audience. Talking about that..anyone have a countdown clock until the Magic Kingdom puts that show out of its misery...

OK, all you other cast members...spill it. We want to hear from all parks and do not leave any details out

• I was deleted.

Quote Originally Posted by Robbguy
    I am truly interested in what happens backstage/offstage. I am smart enough to know that what we all see onstage is not real. I have been treated poorly enough by the cast in Main Street Bake Shop to know that everything is not all sweet and sugary behind stage! I also realize Prince Charming has more of an interest in Aladdin than Snow White or any other female character..so spill all the dirt and give us all good stories. We all have great stories from backstage and seeing Cinderella relaxing like a cheap hooker is nothing new but is still interesting to hear. I just hope that maybe they will change CINDERELLABRATION into CINDERHOOKERABATION as it will attract a bigger audience. Talking about that..anyone have a countdown clock until the Magic Kingdom puts that show out of its misery...

OK, all you other cast members...spill it. We want to hear from all parks and do not leave any details out
    Sure, it may grab YOUR attention... but the attention of five-year-olds? No such luck! I have nothing that I'm going to share but realize this. Backstage is exactly that, backstage. It is nothing glamourous or real special. It is a place where Cast Members get their costumes, parades get set up, Cast Members take breaks, and get in and out of the park. That is it. Nothing more, nothing less. Just a couple of trees placed higher up in large planters to help disguise the backstage buildings, dumpsters, and anything else you would find at a normal work location with food, merchandise, attractions, etc.

As for the characters getting friendly... I think at any work location people can get friendly with eachother. The only difference here is their costume they work in is a little bit different than any other outside of a place like Disney.

• Stitch to the Rescue

Actually we are not permitted to disclose any of the backstage secrets and events that would ruin the magic. It is a major violation of Walt Disney Co policies and people can be severely disciplined by the company if they find out about it.

Sean

• Monorail Racer

I guess I'm lucky that Disney security has never been able to track me down for telling some of my favorite backstage stories to people over the years.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast