Question about why "The Land" at EPCOT is closed.

Hi everyone

Well we head to Disney World on the 23rd of January 2010 and as always I check to see what rides are closed. Unfortunately I saw that EPCOT's "The Land" is closed from the 18th of January to the 5th (or it may have been the 7th) of February. Does anyone know what is being done?

Several Years ago "Spaceship Earth" was closed but we lucked out as we were there during the time that they were doing "soft openings". We are there till the 31st of January. Maybe we will get lucky this time too!

The reason I am asking this to you folks is that I know the calendar on the Disney website can be off a few days.

Thanks for the help

Robert

Re: Question about why "The Land" at EPCOT is closed.

Quote Originally Posted by robertj668 View Post
    Hi everyone

Well we head to Disney World on the 23rd of January 2010 and as always I check to see what rides are closed. Unfortunately I saw that EPCOT's "The Land" is closed from the 18th of January to the 5th (or it may have been the 7th) of February. Does anyone know what is being done?

Several Years ago "Spaceship Earth" was closed but we lucked out as we were there during the time that they were doing "soft openings". We are there till the 31st of January. Maybe we will get lucky this time too!

The reason I am asking this to you folks is that I know the calendar on the Disney website can be off a few days.

Thanks for the help

Robert
    The pavilion isn't being closed, just the Living with the Land ride is....I believe it's to put new boats in.

Re: Question about why The Land Pavillion's "Living with the Land" @ EPCOT is closed.

Chris

I am sorry that's what I meant to say. If it is just new boats, I wonder if realistically it would take that long. I know one year the Pooh ride was scheduled to closed the Friday we got there and it actually stayed open that weekend. They always seam to budget extra time for the just in case, so hopefully we may just get lucky.

We will just have to use our park hopper and stop buy every day.

Thanks for the response.

Robert

PS I changed the title so as not to make people go "Oh no there is no soarin"

• The Study of Wumbo

It's closed again already? Didn't it reopen after "renewal" three months ago? I missed it in August.
    -Hale (wumbology)

a.k.a. h2mc, omnimover.mousetalgia, omnimover, wumbology, hogbackmtn, hhmcsharry, Hale M., h2m, h2mc

(I've never visited Disneyland Resort, Tokyo Disney Resort, Disneyland Resort Paris, nor Hong Kong Disneyland Resort, so don't be fooled when I pretend to know what I'm talking about. [But I'm pretty good with the information, if I do say so myself. And you can hit me all you want with Walt Disney World.])

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

Yeah I was surprised to see it's back under refurb again because it JUST got one.

• MiceAge Columnist

The 2009 refurbishment didn't work. They were supposed to get new boats, and they didn't work/fit. So they scrambled, put the old boats back in, and reopened.

The 2010 refurb is the second try to get new boats.
    Kevin Yee
    MiceAge Columnist

I am the author of several Disney books:
    Jason's Disneyland Almanac - a daily history of Disneyland
    Walt Disney World Hidden History - tributes, homages, and ride remnants at WDW
    Your Day at the Magic Kingdom
    Mouse Trap
    Tokyo Disney Made Easy
    101 Things You Never Knew About Disneyland
    Magic Quizdom (The Disneyland Trivia Book)

“The press [should be] a watchdog. Not an attack dog. Not a lapdog. A watchdog. Now, a watchdog can't be right all the time. He doesn't bark only when he sees or smells something that's dangerous. A good watchdog barks at things that are suspicious.” – Dan Rather

• The Study of Wumbo

Quote Originally Posted by KevinYee View Post
    The 2009 refurbishment didn't work. They were supposed to get new boats, and they didn't work/fit. So they scrambled, put the old boats back in, and reopened.
    Wow. Any idea on what the difference is supposed to be?
    -Hale (wumbology)

a.k.a. h2mc, omnimover.mousetalgia, omnimover, wumbology, hogbackmtn, hhmcsharry, Hale M., h2m, h2mc

(I've never visited Disneyland Resort, Tokyo Disney Resort, Disneyland Resort Paris, nor Hong Kong Disneyland Resort, so don't be fooled when I pretend to know what I'm talking about. [But I'm pretty good with the information, if I do say so myself. And you can hit me all you want with Walt Disney World.])

• Cars Land Rocks!

Good thing they didn't trash the old boats after they removed them.

Quote Originally Posted by OC2Epcot View Post
    Good thing they didn't trash the old boats after they removed them.
    Heh, Disney very rarely "trashes" anything.

• May the F=ma be with you

The only reason why the ride closed in the Summer was for backstage dock work. Almost nothing was done to the ride itself, other than maintenance.

Quote Originally Posted by Phonedave View Post
    Well, if your parents can't teach you, maybe you can learn from a taser.

I've been hearing about these new boats for a while now. What I haven't heard is why the attraction needs new boats? What's wrong with the old boats that they need be replaced; Seems to be a pretty simple ride vehicle, not one with a lot of parts (or motors, etc.) that wear out and need replacement.

• MiceChat Administrator
    • Following The Optimist

I can only assume that this might be a safety issue. The boats have very low sides and edges. This was fine when a CM was watching over everyone while spieling, but now that there is no CM, this might be an issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Mikado View Post
    I've been hearing about these new boats for a while now. What I haven't heard is why the attraction needs new boats? What's wrong with the old boats that they need be replaced; Seems to be a pretty simple ride vehicle, not one with a lot of parts (or motors, etc.) that wear out and need replacement.
    Maybe it's the same as the IASW in DL problem...people, erm Americans... too heavy now and making the boats sink too far in the water?

•   
    • Circle of Ancients

Monorail Man is correct... ChrisFL is not.

And as for the original poster's question, don't expect it to re-open before the scheduled date. There are a few other updates taking place as well.
    -Bill