Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• The Last Alweg Pilot

1st time to WDW Feb20-28

My 6 year old and I have booked and we are looking forward to our trip! How strict our CM's on the ride height requirements. Baby is only 42.5 inches, will they let her slide on the 44 inch rides? Or should I start looking for extra thick soles? maybe I can start hanging her upside down on the monkey bars a couple of hours each night...

• Banned User

Re: 1st time to WDW Feb20-28

I'm not sure, but my understanding is that theme parks are pretty strict on height requirements.

Enjoy your first trip; you'll still find lots of fun things to do and see with your daughter.

• Happy Haunt

I've gone with a friend's niece before and they were strict on ride heights but what she did was have a pair of high heels in a bag and would put them on before rides that have a height requirement. I'd look for shoes if I were you.

• Hello there

Blog Entries

Look for shoes which are comfy and will add a bit of height. A nice pair of espadrilles might work, but my guess is it won't add the 1 1/2 inches she needs. My niece needed the extra lift as well. They do check, so be prepared to not be able to ride the 44 inch rides.
    Fratsor Sister - Delta Mu Chi Alpha

ΔΜΧΑ

• Banned User

The suggestion in post number 3 sounds good...just make sure your daughter takes the high heels off after the ride. Comfy shoes are a must at a theme park!

• Now with 5% more insanity

To add on to the high heals idea, if she is in a princess outfit, then I'm sure that the CM's wouldn't suspect anything when they see the high heels. Also, I'm not sure how brave she is, and what parks she's going to, but there are some rides that can be a bit scary for a six year old. Dinosaur in Animal Kingdom would be an example. Lots of loud noises, the car shakes you, and it's dark with dinos jumping out at you at some points. Of course, you're the parent, so you can decide. I just thought you might want to be aware of that.

I would look for shoes because they'll measure even if she's an inch or two over. Be careful of high heels though. It's not that hard to get blisters when your walking around all day.
    DisneyTwins
    Since May 2003

• The Last Alweg Pilot

Thanks all for the advise, we went shoe shopping and I got her a pair of Nike running shoes with some gel sole inserts, then as a back up, got her a pair of thick soled flip flops from gymboree. Got home and measured with both pairs of shoes, and with a baseball cap, she measures in at 44 inches. I was ready to order some bump-its for her hair, not needed after all. Wish us luck!!!!

In my experience (my daughter is just over 44") they usually don't measure her unless there are other kids there that look too short. If it's just us, we just walk on: but if there are other kids there, we get measured. So even with the shoes, a little careful planning (based on who's in line in front of you) may help.

• Hello there

Blog Entries

Good luck!
    Fratsor Sister - Delta Mu Chi Alpha

ΔΜΧΑ

Quote Originally Posted by E-STOP View Post
    Thanks all for the advise, we went shoe shopping and I got her a pair of Nike running shoes with some gel sole inserts, then as a back up, got her a pair of thick soled flip flops from gymboree. Got home and measured with both pairs of shoes, and with a baseball cap, she measures in at 44 inches. I was ready to order some bump-its for her hair, not needed after all. Wish us luck!!!!
    Hi, I was going to tell you about the hat. When my daughter was around that height, we went for a couple of days. The first day, they let her ride, the second day, they did not. When the height is close and you're trying to fudge it with hats and shoes, it can be a subjective call. The CM have to do their jobs. Some are more strict about it than others. One thing I found helpful, aside from the taller shoes and hat, was to put her hair in two pony tails on the top of her head. It made the hat sit taller!

Be sure that your girl is brave (like my little one) and not terrified (like my older one) before taking her on Space Mountain, because on that ride, it's single seating, and you won't be able to sit right next her. I have to always make sure I'm right behind my daughter, and I can put my hand on her shoulder before the ride starts, and shout out words of comfort during the ride (I'm sure the other riders love that!)

Good luck!

I agree with checking your daughter's fear level. I went on both dinosaur and space mountain and as a women of nearly 30 I was more scared that I care to think about again!

• Banned User

E-Stop, since this is your first trip to the World, I would recommend getting a WDW travel guide book. The Unofficial Guide series of travel guides has a lot of info on travelling with small children, and rates attractions based on appeal to different age groups (although take these ratings with a grain of salt).

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

There are height requirements because of the way the restraints/lap bars hit. The CM's don't allow smaller kids that don't meet the height requirement due to safety reasons. Just something to consider. Even just a couple inches too short can mean a dangerous situation. The CM's are trying to keep guests safe.

Quote Originally Posted by aimster View Post
    There are height requirements because of the way the restraints/lap bars hit. The CM's don't allow smaller kids that don't meet the height requirement due to safety reasons. Just something to consider. Even just a couple inches too short can mean a dangerous situation. The CM's are trying to keep guests safe.
    Yes, that's absolutely true. There is a certain amount of subjectivity to it, though, on account of shoes. They always measure the child wearing their shoes, and you absolutely get different heights with different shoes. I wonder if there's a bit of "margin of error" when they determine the height requirements.

Anyway, all my kids rode when they were tall enough with their shoes on. that does seem to be the policy. I was actually going to say NOT to go with the high heels, because it struck me as "too obvious" that you're trying to get around a height requirement.

You did say that with her shoes and baseball cap on, she's tall enough. You're not going til the end of February, I think, maybe she'll have a little growth spurt and be tall enough without the baseball cap by then!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast