Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

• The Study of Wumbo

Animal Kingdom Nighttime Show

So, Disney's Animal Kingdom is going to be twelve years old this year. Kind of hard to believe, (not to mention that this is the longest that WDW has gone without a new park, but that's not too important right now.) Recently I was reading an old copy of "The Unofficial Guide to Walt Disney World 1998," back when almost all that they had about DAK was speculation. I remember reading, on page 537,
    "The layout and landscaping of the Animal Kingdom make traditional Disney parades and fireworks problematic. At the time this guide went to press no daily event on the order of IllumiNations, Fantasmic!, Fantasy in the Sky, or the SpectroMagic parade had been announced for the Animal Kingdom."
    So we still don't have anything to top off our day at the Animal Kingdom. This is definitely one of the parks weaknesses. Unfortunately, as the Guide mentioned, DAK's uniqueness makes a proper spectacular very challenging.

Fireworks are too loud, and would frighten the animals. A nighttime parade, "Rivers of Light," was in development for a while, but was tabled because the powers that be weren't willing to rip out the beautiful landscaping to widen the pathways (reference: Jim Hill : Monday Mouse Watch : It's lights out for DAK's "Rivers of Light" parade, while Beastly Kingdomme makes a character-based comeback.) There is a nice lagoon area in Discovery Lake, but the same problem with horticulture applies to making enough viewing area, as there certainly isn't enough for a show right now. It kind of looks like, if Animal Kingdom were to get its own spectacular, it would have to be something pretty special and unique.

So, any ideas?

I was thinking hard about it, and I thought a possibility would be something along the line of the Pixie Hollow "Enchantment" show which played in Disneyland during the Summer Nighttastic, but on a scale closer to the Osbourne Family Spectacle of Dancing Lights. The lights could be hidden in the trees of Discovery Island, and at night, it could be viewed from all around the Island. Then, depending on where you're viewing, you would get a slightly different show. The Tree of Life would be incorporated too.
    Last edited by penguinsoda; 01-10-2010 at 08:57 AM. Reason: Link removed per board policy
    -Hale (wumbology)

a.k.a. h2mc, omnimover.mousetalgia, omnimover, wumbology, hogbackmtn, hhmcsharry, Hale M., h2m, h2mc

(I've never visited Disneyland Resort, Tokyo Disney Resort, Disneyland Resort Paris, nor Hong Kong Disneyland Resort, so don't be fooled when I pretend to know what I'm talking about. [But I'm pretty good with the information, if I do say so myself. And you can hit me all you want with Walt Disney World.])

• Iron-Clad Allie

Re: Animal Kingdom Nighttime Show

Would like to see a candlelight procession type of ceremony held at one of the show areas.. such as the Finding Nemo Musical area. The procession would be themed to the recognition of the importance of all the marvelous creatures that inhabit and share our planet with us. Included would be celebrity guests, a choir, an orchestra, the Disneyland/Animal Kingdom marching band, sing alongs.. and an outdoor nightime 3-D show, featuring the variety of real animals on Earth.. and spiced up with "cameo" appearances by Disney characters (both animated CG, and live costumed cm's).
    Last edited by Ride Warrior; 01-09-2010 at 05:03 PM.
    To Boldly Go Where No MiceChatter Has Gone Before!

• Pongo is my hero.

If they can do a day parade, they should be able to do a night parade. Still, DAK is one of the geatest place in WDW at night. It's rare you'll find yourself there past 7 though, so you have to plan ahead. E:E, Kali, and PW at night are spectacular.

I think TDO could also get away with a WoC show focusing on nature with less Disney characters involved- or build an Amphitheater far away from the animals and do something there.

one hundred and one

[QUOTE=- or build an Amphitheater far away from the animals and do something there.[/QUOTE]

That's what I was thinking, like Fantasmic at HS, but something new and unique

• The Study of Wumbo

Quote Originally Posted by lily23 View Post
    That's what I was thinking, like Fantasmic at HS, but something new and unique
    Yeah, but I kind of feel like having it isolated like that and having to wait in a bleacher for so long might isn't as magical. For a lot of people, that's one of the reasons why Disneyland's Fantasmic! is superior, because it's really in the park and it just pops up.
    -Hale (wumbology)

a.k.a. h2mc, omnimover.mousetalgia, omnimover, wumbology, hogbackmtn, hhmcsharry, Hale M., h2m, h2mc

(I've never visited Disneyland Resort, Tokyo Disney Resort, Disneyland Resort Paris, nor Hong Kong Disneyland Resort, so don't be fooled when I pretend to know what I'm talking about. [But I'm pretty good with the information, if I do say so myself. And you can hit me all you want with Walt Disney World.])

• All-American

Well, whatever form of nighttime entertainment that would go into Animal Kingdom would have to be very innovative, as much as Fantasmic or World Color were.

Since the skies are off-limits and parade routes are a no-go... what if they used the existing walkways throughout the parks for a sort of massive, installation-based light show? It could be like the Lights of Winter, but on a park-wide scale, and non-Christmas, with light-sculptures of animals lining the walkways. So you could walkway down the path and see light-monkeys in the trees swinging to the music, or a pride of lions or a herd of zebras walking down the path alongside you, or light-elephants rearing their heads and trumpeting. And then the trees and buildings would also light up and dance in unison to music.

These installations would be placed along certain walkways so as not to disturb the animals, and would span across the whole park, so as not to require crowds accumulating at any one area. I think it could be really cool if done right.

•   
    • Circle of Ancients

It would HAVE to be built in Discovery River Lake... the reflecting lake in front of Everest. That is what it was designed for. There is a concrete base in that area. It even had fountains for a while.

I love the Pixie Hollow idea.
    -Bill

• Iron-Clad Allie

A World of Color type of show would be perfect as there are no fireworks involved. The reflecting lake idea of Bill's sounds like good housing for it. The show would incorporate mist screen and sky projectios of real animals in each reagion on Earth, dinocaurs, and mythological creatures. Both real life and CG animated images would be used.. separatly, and weaved togother. Effects included would be a variety of fountains,, cgi nozzels, fire balls, fire movers, etc. Disney music, relative non-disney music, and originally composed scores would also be a part of the show. Could also like to see the use of scents such as those in Soarin'.. only designed for the outdoors. Wouldn't hurt to have weather effects as well.
    Last edited by Ride Warrior; 01-10-2010 at 07:07 AM.

Really? I never thought of it that way... That was actually the one and only thing I always preferred about the WDW version: with the stadium seating I can actually see the show, and I can sit comfortably and get a beer while I'm waiting , but that's a discussion for another thread!

• Iron-Clad Allie

Quote Originally Posted by lily23 View Post
    Really? I never thought of it that way... That was actually the one and only thing I always preferred about the WDW version: with the stadium seating I can actually see the show, and I can sit comfortably and get a beer while I'm waiting , but that's a discussion for another thread!

Stadium seating is what have in mind as well. No reason that the seating couldn't be built around the lake. If a larger lake area is needed, the lake could always be expanded. Or, another lake and stadium seating could be built elsewhere in the park... far away from the animals.

• Banned User

Animal Kingdom is pretty to look at, but otherwise it's a total letdown.

When the fantastical Beastly Kingdomme is actually built there, I'll return. Otherwise I won't bother.

• Minion

I think an animal-centric version of World of Color could be a big hit. The little lake between Asia and Tree of Life would be perfect location for it.

I love Animal Kingdom...possibly my favorite park in Orlando...but it needs a good nighttime show as well as an expansion such as Beastlie Kingdomme.

Hope Joe Rohde hurries back from Hawaii because as of now there seems to be nothing in the pipeline for the near future.
    Down with the Hat

• The Study of Wumbo

Quote Originally Posted by MarkTwain View Post
    what if they used the existing walkways throughout the parks for a sort of massive, installation-based light show? It could be like the Lights of Winter, but on a park-wide scale, and non-Christmas, with light-sculptures of animals lining the walkways. So you could walkway down the path and see light-monkeys in the trees swinging to the music, or a pride of lions or a herd of zebras walking down the path alongside you, or light-elephants rearing their heads and trumpeting. And then the trees and buildings would also light up and dance in unison to music.

These installations would be placed along certain walkways so as not to disturb the animals, and would span across the whole park, so as not to require crowds accumulating at any one area. I think it could be really cool if done right.
    That's kinda like what I was thinking about. It would be cool if during the day it all blends in and then, at night, it all comes on to start the show. Plus, like World of Color, it would be a real flip-the-switch-and-go show and wouldn't require any performers. Guests would be able to spread out enough that you wouldn't have to pick out a seat hours in advance and there would be no crowded viewing space. I'm sure Disney would probably mourn at the lack of possible "dining packages" to sell.

But Animal Kingdom really needs something to anchor it as a quality theme park. Even my two nearest Six Flags have been having their "Glow in the Park" Electrical Parades and Great Adventure has a fireworks show on summer Saturdays.
    -Hale (wumbology)

Quote Originally Posted by Bill View Post
    It would HAVE to be built in Discovery River Lake... the reflecting lake in front of Everest. That is what it was designed for. There is a concrete base in that area. It even had fountains for a while.

I love the Pixie Hollow idea.
    I agree with Bill, that area is as big as DVC's lake if not bigger, they just have to redesign the viewing area around it and they can put on the World of Color type show, with no firework that might freak out the animals.

• Ardent WDW Enthusiast

How about not even having an actual "show" but instead turn the midways into something like what Cedar Point did this past year, imagine the trees being lit up with LED lights and having them move to music, here is the video. And to answer the first question, no they do not look horrible in the day time, in fact you barely notice them. Here is the video: Cedar Point Starlight Experience from Jeff Putz on Vimeo.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast