Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

• 1375 miles away

The Peterson Family's First WDW Invasion December 2-16, 2009

For quite some time now I have hung around MC and garnered info, shared info, left my trip reports and just joined in on the fun but ya see, this past year was very different. We decided to take our very first trip to WDW, which is what this thread is going to be about. Anyway, that decision changed a lot about the time I spent on MC.... well, actually about the time I spent pretty much everywhere on the internet. My life suddenly turned into an all consuming fact finding, info seeking mission. Perhaps I do exaggerate slightly but not by much. WDW is huge and there is an overwhelming amount of data to be found out there. I gotta confess that I have not been very active around here much lately. Hope ya'll can forgive me. Hopefully I will have the opportunity in the upcoming year to change that. My goal is to post this here Trip Report and then get back to things more familiar. So..... on with the report!

Oh yeah, and I gotta warn you I am a camera fiend, not necessarily a good one but I do love taking pictures, so be warned there are going to be lots of photos! And, second, my heart really belongs to DL so I tend to probably compare the two parks way too much.

Day 1, December 2, 2009
    As you can imagine the morning we were to leave for Florida I had trouble sleeping and was up bright and early. Guess what? Of all things, when I woke up it had snowed here in Texas! (Amy, I borrowed your snow photo!)

We managed to actually make it out of the house by the time we had planned which is great for us because we tend to be late everywhere we go. On the way to the airport we dropped the dog off at the kennel which is no easy task. As soon as she realizes where she is she is ready to bolt. Somehow we managed to get her through the door and get everyone back into the car. After a 45 minute drive we made it to the airport parking in just the amount of time I had allowed. We found it very convenient to use The Parking Spot at DFW to leave our car under the covered parking for 2 weeks. It is cheaper than airport parking and I had a 20% off coupon that ended up saving us $40 from their regular rate. They shuttle you right to the airport and pick you up when you return. Our driver promptly gathered our luggage and dropped us off at the American Airlines terminal. Traveling for 2 weeks we always have an abundance of carry on luggage as well as some we have to check in for storage so we hopped in line to make the appropriate arrangements. Baggage taken care of and boarding passes in hand we made our way through security which is always a rather comical experience for us…. not so much for all the people who are held up behind us. We are not seasoned travelers at all so it always seems to take us twice as long to pull all our goodies out into the bin and then gather everything back up. We made it through without setting off any alarms and were on our way to find our gate. After finding where we needed to go we grabbed a bite to eat from the food court and made a restroom pit stop. Perfect timing! By the time we finished up they were just starting to line up to board the plane. We were lucky enough to be on a flight with seating configurations of 2 seats on one side and 3 seats on the other. My daughter and I took 2 seats and the boy’s seats were right behind us.

I loved it because I did not have to sit next to anyone except my daughter.

Last year’s trip I ended up seated next to a sick, sniffling, wheezing woman. None of that this time! We received our pre-flight instructions to the rhythm of “The Night Before Christmas”. I put on my little nausea arm bands and settled in for our flight which for the most part was pretty uneventful. Well…. except there was that one loop…..

No, seriously, we really arrived safely at Orlando International Airport in sunny Florida just shortly after 4:30 pm. We were all thinking it was a very strange airport as we boarded the shuttle with the crazy flashing lights to be transported to who knows where. Somehow we managed to locate our luggage and find the Dollar rental kiosk all without anything unusual happening. After a couple of laps around the parking garage my husband finally found the exit and we were on our way. We plugged the address to the house into hubby’s new "evil i-phone", as my son has dubbed it, and set out to see if the new application would indeed take us to our destination. I also had written directions as a backup... just in case.
    Soon after we set out my phone rang. It was Garden Grocers. My grocery delivery was scheduled to be dropped off between 7 -9 but I was his last delivery for the day so he wanted to see if he could deliver it early. I told him we were just leaving the airport so he said he would head towards the house and just wait for us. It took us almost exactly 30 minutes to get from the airport to the gate of Sunset Lakes just as the description on the website of the house stated. I called the driver and he said he would be there shortly. In the meantime we started unloading the car and made our way to the front door. Being the nutty bunch we are we imagined opening the door and hearing music similar to that heard on the movie “I’ll Be Home For Christmas” when they enter the honeymoon suite at the Bavarian Village. Dang if it wasn’t almost that great! The house was absolutely beautiful! My daughter was so excited she probably ran around for a full 15 minutes repeating how wonderful the place was. Anyone interested in a really nice place to stay at a reasonable rate and needing more information can feel free to pm me or.... check it out..... Kissimmee vacation house rental - Peterson's Paradise Retreat

We ever had our own little Tiki gods!

We finished dragging our luggage inside just as the groceries arrived. The driver lugged all the stuff into the kitchen. Then we went over the list to make sure everything I ordered was there, which it was. He was extremely nice so I gave him a good tip and sent him on his way. I was really nervous after having read some of the reviews for Garden Grocer lately but I gotta say I very impressed with the whole experience! As it worked out I loved the fact that they delivered my order early so we did not have to sit around wondering if they were going to show up. And look! My stuff even had these little custom labels on it.

I put the groceries away and did a little unpacking. By the time I finished my daughter had waited just about as long as she could. It was time to hit the pool, which by the way, was beautiful. It was the perfect temperature. Even better it was all private… no screaming or splashing kids other than our own. That was as far as we made it the rest of the evening.

Last edited by mariezp; 01-10-2010 at 03:09 PM.
    Me,DH,DS-23 ,DD-13

Our Long Awaited, Long Awaited Trip Report November 2010
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...post1056434199
    Our First Trip to WDW December 2009
    http://micechat.com/forums/walt-disn...16-2009-a.html
    November 2008 trip report! Updated 1/13/09!
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...23-2008-a.html

•   
    • Daffy about Disneyland

Blog Entries

Re: The Peterson Family's First WDW Invasion December 2-16, 2009

You really have me interested in hearing more. Your daughter sure looks happy. The upside down photo is a "hoot".
    My Next Disneyland Vacation - ​May 29, 2014 - June 5, 2014

My Next WDW Vacation is Aug 18, 2014 - Aug 23, 2014
    Pop Century Resort

• 1375 miles away

Day 2, December 3, 2009
    In my mind I imagined that we would be up and at em bright and early for our first day but it was just not meant to be. Perhaps it was the fact that we were not used to the time zone and waking up an hour earlier. Whatever the case it turned into a trend we kept throughout our entire trip. Seeing as how one of the guy’s favorite things to do is sleep in late I assumed they would enjoy it on their first day of vacation so I did not put much effort into hurrying us to the park. I enjoyed the peace and solitude of the house…. something seldom heard at home. Eventually everyone awoke from their slumber and we made our way to the park by about 11:30. Here’s the mandatory WDW sign photo.

Guess what we saw floating in the sky on the way in. The kids were not nearly amused as I was.

AAA parking pass in hand we found a parking place by following the blue line and made our way to catch the ferry across the lake. I had to explain to the family Walt’s vision of leaving the world behind and becoming immersed in Disneyworld. Interesting idea but I am not sure it made us feel all that magically transported.

I did actually have tickets to see the Christmas parade taping this morning but as I imagined no one wanted to spend 4 hours watching parade entertainment when we could be checking out the park. We did notice quite the crowd when we entered the park but we easily made our way down Main Street so we could head towards Adventureland. As we passed the castle I heard singing but never did catch a glimpse of who was on stage. Oh well, I wasn’t all that impressed by what I heard anyway. As we got away from the castle we noticed that the park really wasn't all that crowded.... at least until later in the day.

We let my daughter choose our first stop. Her choice was the Tiki Room. Probably was not the best choice to start out with. She loved if but the rest of us came out shaking out heads. What had they done to the Tiki Room. Suffice to say we are Tiki Room purists. So unfortunately even though I had big plans to not make comparisons between the 2 parks at every ride and attraction there was just no way to avoid it on this one. Disneyland wins the Peterson’s Tiki Room Seal of Approval for having the proper original music, no large goddess lady sprouting up from the floor and not having an obnoxious bird. The outside area did have some pretty scenery that made some for some good photo opportunities.

Thankfully, with that out of the way, we continued moving along to something more appealing for the men folk. They chose Big Thunder Mountain. My daughter is a ride whimp so she and I passed on riding. We waited for them at the exit of the ride. I took the opportunity to take photos while DD kept herself entertained while lizard watching. They seemed to be all over the place.

I tried to catch a shot of the boys on the ride. Darn you gotta be fast! Managed to get DH in the shot but DS ended up hidden behind some girl.

When the guys finished their ride we decided that our next stop would be for lunch. Since we arrived late to the park we had already missed ADRs at the Liberty Tree Tavern so we just opted to grab what we could find. DD and I went in one direction to grab chicken nuggets at the Golden Oak Outpost while the boys went to search for turkey legs. My son loves those things. While waiting in line we stuck up our first conversation with a man from Las Vegas who just happened to be a wedding photographer which is probably not a bad profession in the wedding capital of the United States. After a long wait we finally got some grub and made our way to nab a table as soon as someone else vacated. The guys met up with us shortly. No turkey legs though. The cart was out so they settled for corn dogs and corn ears. We had found a table in the very back of the seating area. It was fairly nice and quiet until people started feeding some of the birds. Normally I would not mind but the birds would dive right across your table and it got to where whoever was tossing the food did not take any particular note of where they were throwing the food. It did not make for a very pleasant dining experience. Sad thing is it was not just children. My DH was starting to look like he might say something untactful at any moment so we proceeded to promptly leave the area.

Next, we headed to our all time family favorite ride, Pirates. Gotta say it was short. I really missed riding through the bayou and especially missed not getting to eat at Blue Bayou. I thought WDW’s redhead looked prettier but no one else thought she looked any different. DH pointed out that their ride is missing the big treasure scene and the captain’s quarters. Guess they gave those up so Captain Jack could have his own big room.

Seeing how we have 2 different type of ride groups, the thrill seekers and the mild riders, we decided in order to make the most of our day we would split up and head our own ways. I knew that the Magic Carpets were scheduled to go down for refurbishment the next day and we were already in the area so the girls decided to make that their next ride. We struck up a second conversation to pass the time while we were in line, this time with a family from Wisconsin. After a fairly brief wait we boarded our carpet. We both thought this one was great. Loved the part where you had to dodge getting spit on by the camel. She was a girl camel too… see her eyelashes!

to be continued.....
    Me,DH,DS-23 ,DD-13

• 1375 miles away

Next we decided to take a tour of the Swiss Family treehouse. These treehouses are wonderful but man are all those stairs a lot of climbing! Oh well, another great place for pictures! No jaguar and they didn’t even let you bang on the pots and pans!

For our next ride, we headed to the Jungle Cruise but the line was about a 30 minute wait so we opted to grab fastpasses. We had some difficulty getting the machines to cooperate. We finally had to get a CM to assist us. FPs in hand we headed up the stairs and DD requested another ride on the Magic Carpets so that is what we did. From there we made our way over to watch the Country Bears. I have heard of lots of people really missing this one at DL but truthfully, I gotta say I did not think the show was all that great. Walt’s animatronics, as always, were fabulous but I just really could not get into the show. I have a feeling if I had originally seen the show at DL I might have liked them even better. I absolutely understand the appeal for many. If I had been raised on them no doubt I would have loved getting to see them again. And, I must add that if they were at DL now I would still go to see them once a trip. They would probably grow on me. Some attractions are just like that. However, for this trip they just did not especially knock my socks off since I do not have a nostalgic connection. Good to see once though so I now know what the show was actually like. Oh, and we did like the baby bear. Our favorite part of the whole show was the guys mounted on the wall. Still getting used to this new camera plus I was trying to not use a flash so my photos here are rather lacking.

to be continued.....

Me,DH,DS-23 ,DD-13

• 1375 miles away

Having done two new attractions that we had never done before, we decided now it was time to go for something a bit more familiar. We grabbed a couple ice creams and headed for a circle tour on the WDW Railroad. We ran across Tianna’s Showboat Jubilee along the way to the station.

I am still trying to figure out why WDW only has 3 stops when their park is so much bigger. At DL since there are 4 stations you can actually use the RR as a method to save yourself some walking. At WDW the stations are far enough apart that many times any station is still a good distance away from your destination thus not being especially helpful to the poor old tootsies. We enjoyed the ride so much, and the rest, that we decided to go around the park twice. BTW, where did the Grand Canyon go?

We disembarked again at the Frontierland station. Since our FPs were now good we decided to head over to take a Jungle Cruise. We had a female skipper for our first trip. She was actually very good but as is often the case the boat load of people were not very responsive. I can only imagine how exasperating it must be for those poor skippers to repeat their spiel day after day to a bunch of humorless people. My hat goes off to them. We did our part and laughed at her corny jokes and enjoyed our voyage through the wilds. It is very similar to DL’s ride. They do have an indoor temple area that DL does not but I do not believe it made their version any better.

Upon exiting back into Adventureland, DD requested a third ride on the carpets. Knowing it would be our last chance for the remainder of our trip we hopped in line for our final carpet ride.

Having spent the majority of our day full of so much adventure we decided it was time to check out another area of the park. Along our way we passed by the castle. I don’t know why but I always forget to get very many shots of the castle. This ended up being one of the few.

We ended up in Tomorrowland. We had never ridden the Transity Authority so we thought we should see what we thought. We both liked it and enjoyed the many views from our lofty perch.

DD wanted to go to Stitch’s Great Escape. I had read mixed reviews on this one so I held my breath and hoped that she would not get scared. She came out just fine. Me, on the other hand, came out with bruised shoulder bones! When the ride restraint came down over the top of me it really hurt. Thankfully, when I lifted my shoulders it raised back up but then it was very loose. Having never been in the theater before I spent my time worried as to whether or not I was going to come flying out of my seat because I was not in tightly. As it turned out there were no sudden movements, loops or any of the like so I made it out safely. Never did understand what the restraints were there for unless it was just to make you feel like you were really on a ship. DD liked the attraction okay. I found it to be something I could do without.

When we exited it was time to meet up with the guys and head home. I had forgotten my cell phone that morning so we had made arrangements earlier to meet them at the Market House on Main Street at 7:00. After making our way through the parade crowd we found out that there was no MH in WDW so we all had a brief moment of panic wondering how in the WDW we were going to find each other. As luck would have it they had gone into the bakery which was where I decided would be the most likely place to find coffee. My reasoning paid off and we ran into them almost immediately. As we made our way out of the park we realized that we really should plan better to avoid the rush out of the park in the evenings.

After a short 15 minute drive we made it back to the house. We ordered in pizza from Pizza Hut and watched tv while we ate. After that DD did a little swimming, we played a little ping pong and then put our weary bodies to bed.

Me,DH,DS-23 ,DD-13

• 1375 miles away

Quote Originally Posted by Barbaraann View Post
    You really have me interested in hearing more. Your daughter sure looks happy. The upside down photo is a "hoot".
    It is so nice to see a familiar face!!! I am glad I have you interested and hope you stay for the rest of the trip. I am hoping I can keep it rolling along so as not to disappoint any readers I may pick up.
    Yep, my daughter is generally a pretty happy girl. Heck, we are all pretty darn happy when we are on vacation. Glad you enjoyed the loop photo... I am usually a little loopy anyways so it just sort fit.
    I know you are an old pro at both Disney parks. How do you manage to stay unbiased? I tried. Really I did but..... we were so worn out when we got home and just didn't feel like we came home with the same full dose of good old Disney magic we usually get from Disneyland. Can't wait to get back!
    Me,DH,DS-23 ,DD-13

• 1375 miles away

Day 3, December 4, 2009

Not exactly sure what I did but when I woke up this morning my back was hurting. I have a bad back anyway so I am not sure just how much all the walking contributed but we had places to go, parks to see. Thank heavens for muscle relaxers and Tylenol. Not sure what time we left the house but it was fairly early since this was supposed to be our one Animal Kingdom day. Since the park closed fairly early I wanted to make sure we covered everything in one day. I knew DD was going to love the park but imagined the rest of the crew would think it boring and not want to go back.
    As we left the house there was a light sprinkle of rain. We arrived shortly at the park and proceeded to follow the “Grrrrrrrrrrrrrreen line” to the AAA parking. Obviously, we are easily amused. We got such a kick out of hearing all the accents of foreign workers. The word stayed with us all through the day and when we saw anything green one of us would repeat it just like he had.
    As we made our way into the park it began raining more. Rather than just stand around we made a quick dash to watch Festival of the Lion King to get in out of the rain and with hopes that the rain would let up while we were inside. Apparently, we were not the only ones thinking this way. It was a packed house. We enjoyed a dry place and even thought the show was pretty good. We were cool. We were in the Lion Section. No warthogs here!

When it was over we were herded out the door to find that the rain had picked up. Of course, we came unprepared so we stopped at the first cart we found to purchase some rain gear. As it turns out our day was pretty well shot but I guess our lot in life was to be in the park to view human behavior. We spent probably 30 minutes in line trying to buy ponchos. While we were standing among a crowd there I guess we saw a little bit of everything imaginable.
    Some people can turn mean..... One lady got so mad she asked for her credit card back in the middle of the transaction.
    Some feel they should be more privileged than others..... One lady actually cut into the front of the line and said “We have got to get something to cover up the children!” Duh, lady???? I suppose she did not see any of the rest of us standing in line… with children.
    And some of us just try to make the best of it..... Thankfully, we were standing next to a lady who thought it was just as absurd as we did so we spent the remainder of our time in line trying to decide how it is that some people think they are better than others.
    I gotta say that Disney was at least partially at fault for the disaster that was playing out in front of us. The people running the cart barely understood or spoke English. They could barely count money. And, they barely knew how to run the register. I cannot imagine that any of those qualifications helps to make running the cart very efficient. I can only imagine the amount of money that was probably lost giving back incorrect change…. or overcharged giving back incorrect change. Anyway, eventually we finally got our 3 ponchos and 2 umbrellas.

At this point DD was cold and wet and miserable. Her new pants were too long and dragging the ground and she had on sandals. All she wanted to do was go home. Sadly, the rest of us pretty much agreed with her.
    It was just about lunch time. I had a reservation for the Rainforest Café for the evening and I really hated missing the chance to go so we thought we would see if we could get in for lunch instead.

No problem. They were not crowded at all so we were seated right away.

I had the Pecan Crusted Mahi-Mahi and Coconut Shrimp. It was wonderful! Everyone else enjoyed theirs too. And of course, we couldn't have a meal here without ordering a Sparkling Volcano! I only wished I would have had more room in my tummy to put it. I am so glad we stopped in. It ending up being the best meal of our whole trip. When we came out the rain was still pouring. No use staying so we headed back to the house.

So that pretty much sums up our day at Animal Kingdom. 1 attraction, lots of rain, standing in line to buy rain gear and a yummy meal. Not exactly the day I had in mind. I guess it was just our day to contribute solely to Disney profits. Our half day excursion cost a full day Disney ticket, $35 for ponchos and umbrellas and $110 for lunch. (Silly me! I even forgot my $10 RFC coupon and my $25 gift certificate.)

We made our way home and it rained ALL DAY. It was a disappointing day as far as parks go but, thankfully, we had a beautiful house to hang out at and just have a relaxing sort of afternoon. We played ping pong, monopoly, worked a jigsaw puzzle and found other ways to amuse ourselves. Ordered in Pizza Hut and called it a day.

Me,DH,DS-23 ,DD-13

•   
    • Daffy about Disneyland

Blog Entries

Rain can spoil a day at Disney World for sure. Funny thing is, I have never been rained on at Animal Kingdom.
    My Next Disneyland Vacation - ​May 29, 2014 - June 5, 2014

My Next WDW Vacation is Aug 18, 2014 - Aug 23, 2014
    Pop Century Resort

• Disappearing/Reappearing

what fun!!! Your daughter has an adorable smile! Mine tends to turn her smiles into funny faces the second the camera comes out.

What great pictures! Love the disney characters!

Anxiously waiting the rest. . . . Wish I could have gone with you guys!!! Although I think I would have sat out Disney World for Disneyland. . . You did miss all the good snow here in Texas though although I think it more than made up for it in the last few weeks!! My sister is adorable! Love the pool. I want an indoor pool. . .

Amy

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

BTW, where did the Grand Canyon go?
    There was never a Grand Canyon diorama in WDW's railroad. That's Disneyland only.

DD wanted to go to Stitch’s Great Escape. I had read mixed reviews on this one so I held my breath and hoped that she would not get scared. She came out just fine. Me, on the other hand, came out with bruised shoulder bones! When the ride restraint came down over the top of me it really hurt. Thankfully, when I lifted my shoulders it raised back up but then it was very loose.
    The trick is to sit up straight before the restraints come down. If you're sitting slouched down beforehand, the restraints will not be properly aligned with where they need to be for the show (binaural sound) and if you try to sit up straight, it's going to hurt/be uncomfortable. So if you want to sit slouched down, sit up straight until the restraints come down, then relax.

• Circle of Ancients

AMAZING TR!!!

And thanks for the pics of the house. We were looking at going to WDW in June and this is a MUCH better deal than the Wilderness Cabins. Plus it's close to Sea World and Universal, plus if we need to work a day or two while in FL, we can do that.

• Hello there

Blog Entries

Great trip report~~!!
    Fratsor Sister - Delta Mu Chi Alpha

ΔΜΧΑ

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Relax

AWESOME TR! I love reading them from a 1st visitor's perspective. I appreciate all the detail and the photos!

More please!

• 1375 miles away

I have more readers! I am so happy!

Barbaraann
    , leave it to us to find the one day it does decide to rain at Animal Kingdom! Just the sort of luck we have. It seems there may have been a little black rain cloud following us around for a good part of our 2 weeks. We went through a whole mix of weather, cold, rainy, and finally hot. I am told that we had some unusual weather for that time of year in Florida.

Stitchy, thanks for the compliments on my pictures and on my daughter. We think she is pretty cute. She also can pull that trick about doing funny faces for the camera. She is my ride buddy and generally stuck with me all day. By the end of a day of me following her around with my camera she often sounds like Barbie in Toy Story when she says "My cheeks are killing me!" from all the smiling I make her do for pictures.

Amy, we wish you could have gone with us too. We certainly would have had the extra room! Even better than that.... we will have to get all of us back to Disneyland at the same time one of these days. I am going to be so jealous when ya'll go in May. You will have to give me live updates! (I did NOT miss the snow!)

aimster, I had a pretty good idea that the Grand Canyon was not supposed to be there. I just asked the question because, well, it just seemed like it was missing something.
    You are absolutely right. I probably was slouching in my chair. Shame on me for having such crummy posture. I need to straighten up! Of course, by the time I realized what was happening it was too late to do anything about it.

sir clinksalot, ahhhhh, I feel quite honored to be given a thumbs up on my trip report from another one of the well known celebrities around here! I have always enjoyed you reports.... and always thought Mrs.Clinksalot was so beautiful.
    By all means do check out the house. It really was one of the highlights of our trip. It was a quick 15 minute drive to the park, very convenient to lots of shopping and dining options, and reasonably priced. We had so much extra space and we had our own private pool. We would have had to paid a good deal more to stay in a Disney owned property for 2 weeks. Quite frankly, we did not want to rely on Disney transportation to get us around the parks. So if you don't mind doing your own driving anyway it was a fantastic choice. We managed to get a great deal on our car rental too so we still spent a lot less than we would have if we had stayed onsite.

Mouse princess, thanks for joining me on my little trip. So glad you are enjoying it too.

SummerInFL, yep, I was a WDW newbie! Glad you like it! I apologize if it tends to be coming from a skewed perspective since we love DL so much. I bet if I lived in Florida I could learn to love it just as much!

Just so ya'll know I am working on another installment. Unfortunately, the real world stuff keeps interrupting! I will prevail though and deliver another installment ASAP! So stay tuned......
    Me,DH,DS-23 ,DD-13

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast