Page 1 of 9 1234 ... LastLast

•   
    • Chicago Gal

Blog Entries

Walt Disney World Memory Thread

I have been sorting photos this morning, and I realized just how many great memories I have of my numerous vacations to Disney World. I thought it would be fun to share some of those memories with you, and show the photos that prompt me to remember good times once spent at Disney World.

I encourage all of you to dig through your photos and share your memories as well.

This first memory is of my very first trip to Disney World, which just happened to include the day that I turned 50. My grandson was just 4. My 50th birthday was on 9-4-97, the castle was a cake, and we had a great morning in Magic Kingdom. My special day ended with an impromptu dinner at Ohana. You couldn't do that, most likely today without a priority seating. I was 50, and Magic Kingdom was celebrating their 25th.

As I look at these photos, I am reminded of how my husband loved our stay at the Polynesian, and our vacation as a whole, but I can't get him to go back. My grandson had his first of many haircuts at the Harmony Barber Shop. That Barber is still there today, I believe. Our Crystal Palace lunch was my very first, of many character meals to come. I also especially enjoyed my very first ride on Dumbo. It has become a tradition of mine to always ride Dumbo first on an early morning in Magic Kingdom.

Memories........it's why we keep going back.

Last edited by Barbaraann; 01-14-2010 at 11:26 AM.

•   
    • Chicago Gal

Blog Entries

Re: Walt Disney World Memory Thread

On that very first visit to Disney World on our 2nd day at Magic Kingdom we were passing through the Hub when we discovered the tiny little statues that sit upon the pedestals. You know the ones. They have the same ones at Disneyland. They are of popular Disney characters. We began photographing a few of them. My favorite one was Pinocchio. I am a big fan of that movie, and my all time favorite character has always been Jiminy Cricket. It was a wonderful surprise when we saw him there with Pinocchio on the statue. So almost every trip since that first one, I have been photographed with the Pinocchio statue.

Last edited by Barbaraann; 01-14-2010 at 09:45 PM.

•   
    • Chicago Gal

Blog Entries

My husband bought my grandson "That Goofy Hat" after seeing someone wearing one in the park. Sean wore it pretty much all the time for the rest of our vacation. It was a big hit with Goofy when we had dinner at Chef Mickey's in the Contemporary Hotel. I hung that hat on a hook in my house, after that vacation in 1997. It hung there until Sean and I finally planned another trip to Disney World in 2003. This time grandpa wasn't going. Instead, it would be Sean, grandma, and Sean's mom. We hired a limo at home in Chicago to take us to Ohare airport. Sean grabbed "That Goofy Hat" on his way out of the door, and got in the limo. I'm sorry to say the hat never made it out of the limo. In all of our excitement to finally get back to Disney World, the hat got left behind. I called the limo company, reported the lost hat, but I never heard back. We looked for a similar hat on our 2003 vacation, but we never found one. A few trips later, I found a similar hat. This time it was me that wore "That Goofy Hat", not Sean. Both hats were signed by Goofy himself. Mine still hangs on a hook in my room.

Last edited by Barbaraann; 01-14-2010 at 04:23 PM.

• Occasional Reader

Another square on the money ...memories are exactly what keeps us coming back !
    Smile, you never know who's looking !

These photos bring smiles. I love disney memories!
    -Tyler

•   
    • Chicago Gal

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Thorpeedo View Post
    Another square on the money ...memories are exactly what keeps us coming back !
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyler1994 View Post
    These photos bring smiles. I love disney memories!
    Thank you both. I plan on adding more to this thread as I sort through more pictures.

• sleepy lagoon

Oh, Barbara!! These pictures are great... wonderful family memories at one of the happiest places one Earth... I love it!!

• Disappearing/Reappearing

great pictures, BA! Its so fun to see other people's special memories.

•   
    • Chicago Gal

Blog Entries

My husband hates the heat. I remember the first day that we were in Magic Kingdom, by the time the 3 o'clock parade came by, we were all ready to make an early exit. The next time that we went back, our first thought was to buy hats for the sun. That's how I got my Minnie Hat. Of course, my husband bought a Mickey one.

My husband discovered the Magic Kingdom version of the People Mover, and we rode around for a while. It was a relaxing way to get out of the sun.

We stayed in the Samoa building at the Polynesian. Once my husband discovered the launch that went across the Seven Seas Lagoon, we never took the monorail again. He just loved the boat ride, and our room was close to the stop on the pier.

These next three photos are my all time favorite from the trip. Sean and his grandpa.

Last edited by Barbaraann; 01-14-2010 at 08:46 PM.

•     
      MiceChat Senior Moderator
    • Orbital Pluto

Just wonderful. Especially love the Jiminy Cricket connection, and the tale of the Goofy hats.

Keep them coming, dear lady!
    "Not Carnegie, Vanderbilt, and Astor together could have
    raised money enough to buy a quarter share in my little dog."

Ernest Thompson Seton

•   
    • Chicago Gal

Blog Entries

Since my very first trip to Disney World was in 1997, the very first castle I saw was the Birthday Cake one. When I would ask Sean if he wanted to go back to Disney World with grandma, and grandpa, he would always say "No!". I just figured that he didn't remember much of the trip, since he was only four. Then again, we would sometimes talk, and he would remember a lot of what we did. So when I finally asked him for the last time. Sean, why don't you want to go back to Disney World, he said to me, with a straight face, "Because the Castle isn't a Cake anymore!". Well, of course, he was pulling my leg at the young age of about 10. That's how long it was before we returned again.

It really was a terrible shade of pink!

•   
    • Chicago Gal

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by MickeyMaxx View Post
    Just wonderful. Especially love the Jiminy Cricket connection, and the tale of the Goofy hats.

Keep them coming, dear lady!
    Your wish is my command.

I didn't have a digital camera back then. Did they even exist? It was just a normal camera with film. I even had them developed at Magic Kingdom, because I couldn't wait until I got home. I remember sorting photos on the beach of the Polynesian the morning that we left for home.

If digital had been around then, I can only imagine the images that I would have captured on my very first trip.

• Pongo is my hero.

I love this thread!

Did you go to River Country?

one hundred and one

•   
    • Chicago Gal

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by my7dwarves View Post
    Oh, Barbara!! These pictures are great... wonderful family memories at one of the happiest places one Earth... I love it!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Stitchy View Post
    great pictures, BA! Its so fun to see other people's special memories.
    My very first trip seems so very long ago. It does hold a very special place in my heart. I am glad you enjoyed my photos. I didn't take very many compared to what a digital camera would do today, but we got some really great ones of all of us.

•   
    • Chicago Gal

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Imagineer Scott View Post
    I love this thread!

Did you go to River Country?
    Actually, we were there just about the time that River Country had closed. So no we did not get to experience River Country. We did go to Discovery Island though. Again, it was really hot out there in the middle of the day. I have a few photos, but nothing spectacular. Just a few flamingoes, and us.

Page 1 of 9 1234 ... LastLast