Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Park Secrets: Disney Land V. Disney World

Does anyone know if the same "secrets" at DLR also apply to WDW?
    I am taking my daughter to WDW for the first time this April for her 5th birthday. We usually go to DLR (it's easier to navigate with a small child, and being able to walk back to the hotel easily was a huge advantage).

Now that she's a little bigger, I figured we'd step up to Orlando.

But I was wondering, do they offer the same insider type stuff that they offer in Anaheim? (Death Certificates, Tender Rides, Jungle Maps, etc?)

Also at DLR you can pretty much find out what characters will be where through-out the day.... Sophie is obsessed with Robin Hood... It'd amaze her if she got to meet him (or any of the characters). Any tips on that front?

Thanks in advance.

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Where should we go next?

Blog Entries

Re: Park Secrets: Disney Land V. Disney World

As far as I know, Robin hood is only in the parade.
    But if he's out for photo ops, I'd love to know too!

Your best bet is, of course, character meals. Toon Town has spots for Mickey/Minnie and Princesses and Tink and her fairy friends.

They do have times, etc listed on the maps,and like DL, characters come out at many different places in each park. They do have some different characters than DL, which is great to see!
    Good morning, son
    In twenty years from now
    Maybe we'll both sit down and have a few beers
    And I can tell you 'bout today
    And how I picked you up and everything changed
    It was pain
    Sunny days and rain
    I knew you'd feel the same things...

Quote Originally Posted by NeverNeverland View Post
    As far as I know, Robin hood is only in the parade.
    But if he's out for photo ops, I'd love to know too!

Your best bet is, of course, character meals. Toon Town has spots for Mickey/Minnie and Princesses and Tink and her fairy friends.
    We are going to be there for a week, and I think we have 5-6 character meals lined up. Some folks think that's excessive, but it's really about the only way I can make sure she's distracted enough so that I can eat.
    They do have times, etc listed on the maps,and like DL, characters come out at many different places in each park. They do have some different characters than DL, which is great to see!
    Yeah, we are really looking forward to it.
    At Disneyland there's a spot you can go to, and they have the schedule for the day, and can tell you who will be where, and at what time!

The last time I was there (1990) Robin Hood and Prince John did a meet and great at the England Pavilion in Epcot. So I am sure it'll be like going to a whole new park for me too!

If you want to know if a particular character will be availible that day your best bet is to ask guest relations.

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

Quote Originally Posted by santadog View Post
    But I was wondering, do they offer the same insider type stuff that they offer in Anaheim? (Death Certificates, Tender Rides, Jungle Maps, etc?)
    No they don't. I inquired a couple years ago about Death Certificates at our Haunted Mansion, and the CM's had no idea what I was talking about.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • How do you do?

Blog Entries

Tender rides are available, as we saw a father and son riding it this past summer.

However, a lot of secrets are not the same...
    It's a Zip-A-Dee-Doo-Dah...Tip for Today!

• Joyfully Addicted to Disn

There is a new book out called "hidden magic of Walt Disney World" by Susan veness that has lots of good info in it. A lot of the info I had read in other tour books, but this had them all together in one.

• and too all a good fright

What are tender rides?

• Occasional Reader

Quote Originally Posted by flotsam_mike View Post
    What are tender rides?
    the scope for a comedy/sick response is massive

However they are rides in the tender, on the steam trains, sometimes available at disneyland... I read one of their threads... somebody that's done it will comment.
    Smile, you never know who's looking !

The last time I was there (1990) Robin Hood and Prince John did a meet and great at the England Pavilion in Epcot. So I am sure it'll be like going to a whole new park for me too!
    A few months back they were making fairly regular appearances in The Magic of Disney Animation at DHS.
    someday, when we are wiser,
    when the world's older,
    when we have learned

http://nicoleloveswalt.tumblr.com/

"It's kind of fun to do the i m p o s s i b l e ."
    - Walt Disney

• Happy Haunt

Quote Originally Posted by aimster View Post
    No they don't. I inquired a couple years ago about Death Certificates at our Haunted Mansion, and the CM's had no idea what I was talking about.

They don't do death certificates but when I was there in November we did manage to get an Unofficial Caretaker card. It was pretty cute.

• Hopper's Mortal Enemy

Cool Re: Park Secrets: Disney Land V. Disney World

Quote Originally Posted by Thorpeedo View Post
    the scope for a comedy/sick response is massive

However they are rides in the tender, on the steam trains, sometimes available at disneyland... I read one of their threads... somebody that's done it will comment.
    At DL you ask at the Main St. station to find out if it's an option. Only some locomotives even have the seat, and the engineer can say no. They may also have someone up there for training, and they won't take riders if they need to top off the boiler. You must also take the full circuit because Main St. is the only station to safely load/unload.

It's fun, and you realize that you want the guys on the RR to know their stuff, since it's basically a rolling bomb with all the heat and pressure. WDW does have a steam train behind the scenes tour that is supposed to be good.

A bientot.
    Remember
    What the dormouse said
    Feed your head!

You've read it; you can't unread it!

• MiceAge Columnist

I asked about tender rides last month and was told (at WDW) they don't do that (she might have meant "any more" or maybe "today", but I didn't pursue).

I don't think I've ever bothered to ask about piloting the Liberty Belle. Not as good as the Twain... I'm elitist!

Monorail nosecones (operating cab one [or six!]) are definitely off limits now for everyone.

I agree, Susan's book is pretty good. I didn't detect anything new for me, but it was awfully comprehensive about pulling together online and book sources.
    Kevin Yee
    MiceAge Columnist

I am the author of several Disney books:
    Jason's Disneyland Almanac - a daily history of Disneyland
    Walt Disney World Hidden History - tributes, homages, and ride remnants at WDW
    Your Day at the Magic Kingdom
    Mouse Trap
    Tokyo Disney Made Easy
    101 Things You Never Knew About Disneyland
    Magic Quizdom (The Disneyland Trivia Book)

“The press [should be] a watchdog. Not an attack dog. Not a lapdog. A watchdog. Now, a watchdog can't be right all the time. He doesn't bark only when he sees or smells something that's dangerous. A good watchdog barks at things that are suspicious.” – Dan Rather

Quote Originally Posted by KevinYee View Post
    I agree, Susan's book is pretty good. I didn't detect anything new for me, but it was awfully comprehensive about pulling together online and book sources.
    Thanks for the insights - I was hoping for some "tricks" to make Sophie's first trip to WDW memorable (well, more memorable anyway).
    I ordered Susan's book - was able to get it from Barnes and Noble online, with a coupon and member card for $8.15, shipped. So even if there is a lot of repeat info from Birnbaum and the Unofficial Guide: I am sure I'll get my moneys worth.

• Hello there

Blog Entries

We are going to be there for a week, and I think we have 5-6 character meals lined up. Some folks think that's excessive, but it's really about the only way I can make sure she's distracted enough so that I can eat.
    This is perfect! Really well thought out. We always do at least 1 character meal and it is usually the most peace I find to actually enjoy the meal
    Fratsor Sister - Delta Mu Chi Alpha

ΔΜΧΑ

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast