Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• Mkcoastie

Question My home park....800 miles away.

I am what you would call a Disney Parks NUT, I doubt that I have to explain this to many of the readers on this board. Now you will notice I used the term "Disney Parks." While I cringe at the corprate connotations that moniker brings to mind, I use it only to show that I love ALL of the parks.

That being said, however, I often find myself in the minority of the MiceChat community. Why you ask?

Well, despite being over 800 miles away, it is the East coasts own Disney World that is my home Disney Park. Now while that can be said of many on this board (although east coasters are still the minority), what cannot be said of most is that WDW is my favorite.....

This is far from saying that I do not recognize the importance and absolute magic that is Walt's original park. Disneyland still holds a special place in my heart. I also recognize that Disneyland is hands down superior to the Magic Kingdom. With all that out in the open, however, there is no place in the world I would rather be than at WDW.

What is it, despite it's flaws, that puts my heart in the Disney World camp? It's hard to say. Perhaps it's the fact that WDW was my first Disney experience. Or maybe it's my habit of supporting the underdog. I know, I know the goliath of Florida is hardly an underdog in the traditional sense, but on the online Disney community Disneyland is king. But I think there is something else that is almost unique to the WDW experience. Total and utterly wonderful immersion. While the jewel of the Disney finds itself as an oasis in the middle of the sprawling city of Anaheim, WDW is surrounded by, well more WDW. And while I love the Parks (especially the unique experience that is EPCOT) I think that the surrounding "world" is every bit as magical. While Disneyland veterans visit WDW and rightfully see the places where WDW just doesn't measure up, the one place where I think it wins hands down is the resorts. There are a mind-blowing number of resorts, and each one of them has it's own special magic. Some of them are nothing short of Imagineering MASTERPIECES. They may sometimes get a lot of flak from posters because of there price, I find them worth every penny.

And what of the parks? As I stated Disneyland is definitely Magic Kingdoms superior, it still has it's redeeming factors. There is nothing like the feeling of awe that Cinderella's castle inspires in me. Sleeping Beauty's grand estate is no doubt elegant and steeped in history, and Paris's Castle is absolutely gorgeous, But neither of these seem to have the same effect on me. And then there is EPCOT (not that it is spelled in the proper ALL CAPS). This to me is a theme park experience different to any in the world. And lest we not forget Animal Kingdom, which despite it's shortcomings represents a level of themeing that is unequal to anything stateside.
    Well, that my thoughts....just curious to what everyone thinks.....

Am I alone in my love for the magic of Florida?

• TDR... It gets the love!!

Re: My home park....800 miles away.

Nope... no your not. And Disneyland is closer to us. Maybe its because when we travel to America, we go to a Disney Park for a long length of time preferably, and there's a lot more at WDW. But I don't think that's the case. And I DO agree that Disneyland is superior to the Magic Kingdom in many ways... but to be honest, for me, all I'd like is Indiana Jones Adventure put in Adventureland at WDW. And the carpets get knocked down. That's the 'main' reason I would go to Disneyland over Magic Kingdom. The thing about Disney World is you feel completely immersed in the Disney experience. Recently in December we went for fourteen nights at WDW. Not once did we leave the property. So as we drove out on Disney's Magical Express, you saw the power lines etc. The things Disney tries to hide while your on their land. On our most recent trip we stayed at Kidani Village, Beach Club and Bay Lake Tower. And there is NOTHING that compares to stepping into one of the sister 'Animal Kingdom Lodges' resorts per se, and gazing up at the soaring lobby and the tall glass windows overlooking the savanna. And the decoration. Those minor touches. Its true that Disney's Grand Californian Hotel is very similar to Animal Kingdom Lodge, but does Disneyland have a resort like ALL the others at WDW? No. But the resorts are still less of a big deal to me, and the parks, than the dining. I hear countless complaints about food at WDW (the prices I can agree though ) and I'm never sure if these complaints also include table-service restaurants. When I go to WDW, we do a sort of 'dining-tour,' where we sample heaps of restaurants, American fare of otherwise. The theming makes the meal great, and the food is still really good quality. We love to visit the multiple restaurants in World Showcase, try unique dishes at restaurants such as Sanaa. Try a bit of different cultures. I can't say that there is any place in the world that has dining experiences like WDW. Overall, I believe that the immersiveness of WDW puts it above all others. And its not just the fact that it's 'bigger'.
    Yes. We all know that I am psychic. Don't believe me? Well... I'm sensing that you like Disney. I see that look of bewilderment, hmmm?

• The Study of Wumbo

I appreciate the expression of your opinions. I think I feel the same way.

Plus, I'm up here in the SW Connecticut, and the closest Disney connections we have are Flushing Meadows park in Queens, NY (Worlds' Fair site,) and the (now closed) World of Disney NYC.
    -Hale (wumbology)

a.k.a. h2mc, omnimover.mousetalgia, omnimover, wumbology, hogbackmtn, hhmcsharry, Hale M., h2m, h2mc

(I've never visited Disneyland Resort, Tokyo Disney Resort, Disneyland Resort Paris, nor Hong Kong Disneyland Resort, so don't be fooled when I pretend to know what I'm talking about. [But I'm pretty good with the information, if I do say so myself. And you can hit me all you want with Walt Disney World.])

• Mkcoastie

Quote Originally Posted by wumbology View Post

Plus, I'm up here in the SW Connecticut, and the closest Disney connections we have are Flushing Meadows park in Queens, NY (Worlds' Fair site,) and the (now closed) World of Disney NYC.

They closed the World of Disney store?!? That sucks. Not that I got up to NY that often, but when I did, I always made a point of stopping by for my disney fix.
    Unfortunately here in virginia (where unkle sam currently has me living) the only disney connection we have is a Disney's America park that was never built.

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Mickey and 'Key

Blog Entries

Well as former West Coaster who is now in NY, I can understand the feelings. Yes, Disneyland is my ohme park, but hwere I amsurrounded by people like you Everyone round here LOVES WDW and most have never been to Disneyland. I can feel ya!

So sad about WOD closing but the good news is that it is reopening this fall in Times Square (hopefully like it was and not more like a mainstream Disney Store)
    Good morning, son
    In twenty years from now
    Maybe we'll both sit down and have a few beers
    And I can tell you 'bout today
    And how I picked you up and everything changed
    It was pain
    Sunny days and rain
    I knew you'd feel the same things...

•   
    • Chicago Gal

Blog Entries

Everyone of my Disney World vacations has been different. I stayed at a different resort each time I visited. 1997, was the Polynesian. 2003, was the Contemporary. 2004, was Port Orleans. 2005, was both Port Orleans and the Beach Club. 2006, was Caribbean Beach and the Grand Floridian. 2007, was Coronado Springs, and my last vacation was in 2009, and we stayed at Pop Century.

I have eaten at many different restaurants, and tried different activites. It is true that if you stay on property, you do get totally immersed in the place. I don't vacation much, and I always preferred a trip to Disney World.

That is, until I went to Disneyland. That was in 2005. Maybe it was because it was the Anniversary year, and Disneyland was at it's best. Maybe it was because I grew up watching Walt Disney showcase his Disneyland on television. Perhaps it was because the place just, "plain got into my heart".

For me, although Disney World was my first theme park experience. Disneyland is my favorite, or as you put it my "home park".

Now I'm going to go look up how far away Disneyland is from Chicago where I live.
    My Next WDW Vacation is Aug 18, 2014 - Aug 23, 2014
    Pop Century Resort

• The Study of Wumbo

Quote Originally Posted by NeverNeverland View Post
    So sad about WOD closing but the good news is that it is reopening this fall in Times Square (hopefully like it was and not more like a mainstream Disney Store)
    Yes, exactly.

I actually will be venturing into Manhattan with my family in the next few weeks to see the Tim Burton exhibit at the MoMA, and to get myself a Muppet at the Muppet Whatnot Workshop in FAOSchwarz. See, there are ways to sustain our Disney addiction!
    -Hale (wumbology)

a.k.a. h2mc, omnimover.mousetalgia, omnimover, wumbology, hogbackmtn, hhmcsharry, Hale M., h2m, h2mc

(I've never visited Disneyland Resort, Tokyo Disney Resort, Disneyland Resort Paris, nor Hong Kong Disneyland Resort, so don't be fooled when I pretend to know what I'm talking about. [But I'm pretty good with the information, if I do say so myself. And you can hit me all you want with Walt Disney World.])

• All-American

Quote Originally Posted by wumbology View Post

Don't worry, a new mega-Disney store will open on Times Square soon enough.

Besides, I've got you all beat... the closest connection we have to Disney is the "Doorway to Dreams" DVC kiosk in Chicago... 270 miles away! Although there's also Marceline, Missouri, where Walt grew up, 300 miles away... But however you look at it, we'e in the middle of nowhere.

•   
    • Chicago Gal

Blog Entries

Although when I think about it, Disneyland might be about 1700+ miles away from my door, but my Disney connection is right at the end of my fingertips, and that is MiceChat. It keeps me visually, in touch with what is happening at both Disneyland and Disney World. The internet is indeed a marvel to me.
    My Next WDW Vacation is Aug 18, 2014 - Aug 23, 2014
    Pop Century Resort

• TDR... It gets the love!!

Quote Originally Posted by NeverNeverland View Post
    What MarkTwain said is right: the new store opening in NYC is going to be a World of Disney store on steroids basically... Check out this article:

Disney Store In NYC
    Yes. We all know that I am psychic. Don't believe me? Well... I'm sensing that you like Disney. I see that look of bewilderment, hmmm?

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Mickey and 'Key

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Exomonia View Post
    What MarkTwain said is right: the new store opening in NYC is going to be a World of Disney store on steroids basically... Check out this article:

Disney Store In NYC
    Yup, but the old one was under the parkds department, and that was why it had so many items from WDW and DL. The new one won't be so it is still up in the air what kind of items it will have.
    Good morning, son
    In twenty years from now
    Maybe we'll both sit down and have a few beers
    And I can tell you 'bout today
    And how I picked you up and everything changed
    It was pain
    Sunny days and rain
    I knew you'd feel the same things...

• Mkcoastie

Quote Originally Posted by Barbaraann View Post
    Although when I think about it, Disneyland might be about 1700+ miles away from my door, but my Disney connection is right at the end of my fingertips, and that is MiceChat. It keeps me visually, in touch with what is happening at both Disneyland and Disney World. The internet is indeed a marvel to me.
    Here, here!....I second that!

• Occasional Reader

seconded by me too, that and the various podcasts
    I'm 4226 miles away ..give or take a few steps....hmm...that gives me an idea !
    Smile, you never know who's looking !

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Relax

This is my new favorite thread.

As someone who grew up on nothing but WDW, my heart and home will always be Walt Disney World.

I think there are more of us than people let on, given the DL favored nature of this website its very easy to keep your opinions to yourself when there is so much negativity from the naysayers.

There is definitely a more immersive experience at WDW, given the room they have its easy to leave the outside world and that just isn't possible (not impossible but harder) at DL. Not to mention Epcot, its my families favorite park, it just satisfies everybody. From the multicultural experience of World Showcase to the thrill rides of Test Track and Mission: Space. Add the educational aspect (which I adore) and we have perfection.

I always said if they could take DL and Epcot and smoosh them together, I'd be in heaven.

That doesn't mean that I enjoy MK any less than DL but I certainly appreciate the intimacy of Disneyland that the MK just can't provide and New Orleans Square is my favorite land of any park.
    Last edited by SummerInFL; 01-19-2010 at 09:13 AM.

• Characters are my friends

I love WDW. I grew up going to WDW with my family (it was our big family vacation). And I now work at WDW. So it's definitely a dream come true.
    Many as a kid (1986-1998)Aug 98- Port OrleansMarch 03- Jr Band Trip (offsite)Aug 03- Port OrleansJan 12-Aug 5, 05- CP (CS)Jan 1-5, 06- AS Sports (Solo Trip)May 24, 06 to Jan 5, 07- CP (CS)Jan 31-Feb 3, 07- offsite (solo trip)March 1-3, 2007- Dad + Me (offsite)May 16-Aug 10, 07- CP (CS)Aug 10-12, 07- GF/P&PMay 21-Aug 15, 08- CP (PC)Aug 15-18, 08- AKLMarch 25-29, 09 (off-site)Aug 10, 09-Jan 2, 10- CP (CS)Jan 3-May 14, 2010- CP (CS)Feb 12-16, 2012: DCL DreamOct 20-27, 2012: DCL Fantasy (East)Sept 8-12, 2013: DCL Dream

Jan 12- Aug 5, 2005- Fantasyland Merchandise
    May 24, 2006 to Jan 5, 2007- Character Attendant
    May 16- Aug 10, 2007- Epcot WS Custodial/Seasonal CA
    May 21- July 5, 2008: Casey's (QSFB); July 6-Aug 15, 2008: character attendant
    Aug 10, 2009-Jan 2, 2010: Toy Story Mania
    Jan 3-May 14, 2010: Great Movie Ride
    May 16, 2010~ Fulltime
    Montclair State Campus Rep- Fall 07, Spring 08, Fall 08, Spring 09

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast