• MiceChat News Team
    • Supervillan Extrodinaire

Blog Entries

WDW gives over $500,000 to Florida politicians

The Orlando Sentinal is reporting that in 2009, Walt Disney World gave close to $550,000 to political groups and specific politicians in Florida. Over $400,000 of this was in the form of cash donations and the rest was in the form of freebies (hotel rooms, park passes, etc).

From this amount, WDW gave over $250,000 to the Republican party (who controls both the governor's office and the state legislature), while the Democratic party got about $140,000. The largest single donation was for $45,000 to the 'Committee for Florida Justice Reform'. A committee that is trying to create tougher restrictions on lawsuits.

Be aware that these totals are for Florida candidates and groups. It does not include what WDW donated to Federal or local councils.

To read this story, please go to Disney gave $550,000 to Florida politicians and political groups in 2009 | TheDailyDisney.com from OrlandoSentinel.com
    Growing older is manditory
    Growing up is however, optional

•   
    • Skeevy Ray Vaughan

Re: WDW gives over $500,000 to Florida politicians

Smart move. It's good to have everyone love you in power if you want to get preferable deals from the government.

• Internet.Serious Business

Perfect Park Acres, the latest in Hover-Burb Communities

Yup. No surprises here.

I'm just impressed/shocked/concerned that we Floridians don't seem to show a whole lot of concern about the free tickets & hotel room "gifts" (bribes?).

I guess when it is about tourism and now the Power Companies we don't care as much (to which I guess I agree...?).

• Mkcoastie

While that may sound horrific, and the Disney fan in me is screaming that 500,000 could definitely be used to spruce up the parks, there is a part of me that understands that this makes a lot of sense for them. Disney World is HUGE. Simple state ordinances could conceivably cost WDW far more that that. And to learn that Disney has invested a great deal in the 'Committee for Florida Justice Reform', which was founded by the Florida chamber of commerce, seem to make sense as well.
    The freebies do kinda bother me though. More from the point of politicians accepting them than anything else.

Hmm. This is all business as usual large companies especially large ones like Disney give hundreds of thounsands of dollars so that things go there way. Infact 550,000thousand dollars is a very small amount if you think about, Disney has billions of dollars. Thats similar to you donating 5$ to the Salvation Army.
    Motor Mania!

• I see mouse people

Blog Entries

Unfortunately, big business and politics make very formidable bedfellows. Most of our laws, whether federal or state, are made by lobbyists. Politicians sign the bills and cash the checks.

Disney wants to make sure that Florida doesn't enact any laws that step on their complete control over their acreage and business practices, so they 'donate' money where it will do the most good.

• Mkcoastie

Quote Originally Posted by SnorkletsMom View Post
    Unfortunately, big business and politics make very formidable bedfellows. Most of our laws, whether federal or state, are made by lobbyists. Politicians sign the bills and cash the checks.
    "Politics is supposed to be the second oldest profession. I have come to realize that it bears a very close resemblance to the first." - Ronald Reagan

Just seemed appropriate.

• Beach Expert

A beach town that Harbor Blvd was named after

And they gave $100,000 to Haiti.

Great job, Disney.

•   
    • Seasick

Quote Originally Posted by mkcoastie View Post
    "Politics is supposed to be the second oldest profession. I have come to realize that it bears a very close resemblance to the first." - Ronald Reagan

Just seemed appropriate.
    It does indeed. I think this story says more about modern politics than it does about Disney.

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyIPresume View Post
    And they gave $100,000 to Haiti.

Great job, Disney.
    You know, that's the first thing that crossed my mind as well, and in fact I thought that might be the reason for this thread.

In Disney's defense however, they are a business, not a charity. They cannot just give away the shareholder's money to a needy cause, no matter how important.

From a business standpoint, it makes more sense to spend the money on politicians.

You could compare any number of things Disney "wastes" money on that are "less important" than helping Haiti. Drawing comparisons between the two expenditures serves no purpose other than to manufacture outrage, in my opinion.
    My Micechat cruise trip report, Part 1:http://micechat.com/14795-disney-wonder/

• Tonka's Skipper

Why are we ashamed at WD or any other company.........its busness as usual.we are the ones who should be shamed at voting for them and not demanding change!

Interesting the newpaper seems to be after WDW .you have to wonder if the editors or newreporters didnt get their cut????.Hmmmm.....

AKK