Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

•   
    • Skeevy Ray Vaughan

Re: Motley Fool's comments about WDW getting hurt by LEGOLAND/Harry Potter

Once upon a time the other parks benefited from people on long vacations going to Univeral or Seaworld a day or 2 during the week long stay. Looking at the options now it's may be the other way around quite often. Either way, competition is GREAT for the Orlando area.

I do think that Harry Potter land will help universal but i really do not think it would hurt Disney drastically. I also do not see A legoland doing much to hurt Disney's attendance or hotel occupancy.

All those parks are to spread out for most people to consider going from one ot the other. Disney's advantage is that they have all their theme parks and hotels within one property that has several transportation methods available.

If anything the Universal addition might even help the Disney property. I really doubt that a family from out of town would visit Universal but not head out to spend some time at Disney

• MiceAge Columnist

Quote Originally Posted by Baloo View Post
    I really doubt that a family from out of town would visit Universal but not head out to spend some time at Disney
    I gotta tell you, though, those people are out there. Definitely not you or me... but there are folks like this.
    Kevin Yee
    MiceAge Columnist

I am the author of several Disney books:
    Jason's Disneyland Almanac - a daily history of Disneyland
    Walt Disney World Hidden History - tributes, homages, and ride remnants at WDW
    Your Day at the Magic Kingdom
    Mouse Trap
    Tokyo Disney Made Easy
    101 Things You Never Knew About Disneyland
    Magic Quizdom (The Disneyland Trivia Book)

“The press [should be] a watchdog. Not an attack dog. Not a lapdog. A watchdog. Now, a watchdog can't be right all the time. He doesn't bark only when he sees or smells something that's dangerous. A good watchdog barks at things that are suspicious.” – Dan Rather

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Relax

Quote Originally Posted by elly View Post
    My husband and I will be making our 2nd trip to Orlando this year.

Specifically to go to Universal Orlando (again)

neither of us has been to WDW (but it's on the list to do eventually)
    Oh Elly, you really need to visit Epcot at least!

Quote Originally Posted by KevinYee View Post
    I have it on good authority that Cedar Fair (Cedar Point, Knott's Berry Farm) at one point was sniffing around a parcel in the region.
    As much as everyone here boasts about the CA park, I'd love to see what all the fuss is about.

Quote Originally Posted by KevinYee View Post
    I gotta tell you, though, those people are out there. Definitely not you or me... but there are folks like this.
    Yep, there are just as many Disney haters as there are lovers out there.

You've got to wonder what Legoland will add to the mix in the Orlando area.

They're not heavily associated with significant film / media franchises, which the other resorts use to keep their parks really fresh. I can see this being a 'rainy day' park, or a half day attraction but I doubt people will plan on going to Orlando to do Legoloand on it's own!

Harry Potter confuses me a lot... I think it's going to be a good addition to Universal BUT it's not a huge area, where guests will be able to spend an entire day - is it? Plus, it's being built in a fairly 'land locked' part of the property, so I don't know how it will expand in the future. It also disappoints me that Universal have had to reassign a major existing attraction to make the area seem bigger. So, after the initial buzz, I think it could become a bit of a disappointment.

My guess is that Disney will stay strong and that Fantasyland will be the start of many new updates over the next few years. I can foresee big changes at Hollywood Studios in particular.

• Darkbeer

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by SummerInFL View Post

Yep, there are just as many Disney haters as there are lovers out there.
    I don't think that is fair.... There are probably MORE Disney fans then there are "haters"

Plus many folks that just love Theme Parks/Amusement Parks in general.

I know that I fall into that last catagory, even though I got some grief for folks who saw my news coverage of my wedding a couple of weeks ago at Knott's... To parapharase.... "Why didn't you get married at Disneyland?".... And yes, I did meet my lovely wife at Disneyland 5 years to THE DAY before the wedding at Disneyland, at a Noon Meet at the Hub. Proposed at HoJo's Anaheim, and announced it for the first time at the Noon Meet at the Hub, which was celebrating MiceChat's 4th Anniversary that weekend.

But Knott's has a REAL Church for weddings, which Disneyland doesn't offer. Plus the price. A Lot less expensive than what Disneyland wanted, (but we still spent 5 digits on the wedding, with help from our parents).

The "news" segment - MiceAge, which includes Al Lutz, Kevin Yee, and others (myself included) cover multiple parks and experences.... Not JUST Disney.

Just because you like/love Disney does NOT make you a hater towards other entertainment locations. (Alas, some folks do drink the Disney Kool-Aid).

I am looking forward to the following...

West Coast Bash in March

ACE Spring Preservation Conference in April... (Heck, stopped by the Giant Dipper in San Diego last night... Sigh it was closed

San Diego Area - 1/23/10 - Darkbeer's Photos

My Honeymoon in the North-East USA in June, which will cover many Theme/Amusement Parks, none of which are owned by Disney.

Proud to state I love to go to Disney, and MANY other Theme/Amusement Parks.... And looking forward to my Honeymoon at Cedar Point!
    Check out my Theme Park Photos at http://darkbeer.smugmug.com

My wife and I were one of the first 2000 people to experience Islands of Adventure when it opened in 1999 (soft opening). The attractions were amazing and we continued to visit every year (along with WDW) until 2004. While visiting Universal in 2004, we witnessed a change in the mannerism of the guests. We witnessed smoking everywhere (including the queue), very provocative dress, unappropriate language and general unrulyness.

I am not bashing Universal, we love Universal and have even visited Universal in California.

From 2004 on, our yearly Orlando vacations have been WDW focused and we have not visited Universal since 2004.

With that said, Potter is exciting and we will visit Universal this year if Potter is open (last week in May). So yes, the addition of Potter is pulling us (two days at least) from our yearly WDW vacation.

Ron

• Seasick

Personally, something like Harry Potter might entice me to return to Orlando (still planning on 2011, tentatively), but I'll stay in a Disney hotel and spend most of my time there.

Disney will reap the reward for Universal's spending, and will be able to continue to rest on their laurels.
    My Micechat cruise trip report, Part 1:http://micechat.com/14795-disney-wonder/

• MiceAge Columnist

Ron, we were probably in the park together! I happened to be there (while on vacation) on the very first day of soft opening for IOA. I got charged double admission - once for Uni, and again for IOA, but I was desperate to get in. It probably also kept down crowds... it felt to me like there were only a few hundred people in the park.
    Kevin Yee
    MiceAge Columnist

I am the author of several Disney books:
    Jason's Disneyland Almanac - a daily history of Disneyland
    Walt Disney World Hidden History - tributes, homages, and ride remnants at WDW
    Your Day at the Magic Kingdom
    Mouse Trap
    Tokyo Disney Made Easy
    101 Things You Never Knew About Disneyland
    Magic Quizdom (The Disneyland Trivia Book)

“The press [should be] a watchdog. Not an attack dog. Not a lapdog. A watchdog. Now, a watchdog can't be right all the time. He doesn't bark only when he sees or smells something that's dangerous. A good watchdog barks at things that are suspicious.” – Dan Rather

• Functional & Decorative

I'm a big Disney fan, but like Darkbeer, I like other parks, too. I've been to WDW many times and love it, but I'm considering a trip to Orlando that would include IOA, Universal, and Sea World, and skip WDW entirely. There's enough to do outside WDW to warrant a trip on it's own.
    Does anyone even bother with signatures anymore?

Blog Entries

The only way I could see these things truly hurting Disney is if all these disparate parks could somehow come up with a plan to team up and offer multi-day tickets that rival the costs of Disney's multi-day tickets. Imagine a 4 day-multi park ticket that allows access to Universal Studios, IOA, SeaWorld, and Aquatica. That would come close to rivaling what Disney has to offer and I could see a number of people taking a vacation that covers everything in Orlando except Disney.

I don't really see Legoland hurting them too much though. To me its just too far away to make a huge impact.

• Seasick

Quote Originally Posted by kcnole View Post
    The only way I could see these things truly hurting Disney is if all these disparate parks could somehow come up with a plan to team up and offer multi-day tickets that rival the costs of Disney's multi-day tickets. Imagine a 4 day-multi park ticket that allows access to Universal Studios, IOA, SeaWorld, and Aquatica. That would come close to rivaling what Disney has to offer and I could see a number of people taking a vacation that covers everything in Orlando except Disney.
    They really should do that. When I'm in Orlando I'll skip things like Universal and SeaWorld if I've been recently. The reason is that they charge more per day than Disney does with their park hoppers.

SeaWorld is a one-day park, Universal is two days. If the per-day ticket price was comparable to the per-day cost of Disney via a seven-day park hopper, I'd go. No way I'm paying full price for a day at SeaWorld, unless I've never been or it has been a significantly long time since my last visit.
    My Micechat cruise trip report, Part 1:http://micechat.com/14795-disney-wonder/

Blog Entries

Who knows, now that Merlin Entertainment has a fairly large ownership stake in all those areas they may very well although I don't ever see them being able to sell a ticket that rivals the 7 day ticket. I could see a possible 4 day ticket that does however.

There is real potential that this could hurt Disney. Are people who would want to go to Disney going to choose Universal OVER Disney? Probably not--but they will likely cut their time in Disney short. Fewer days at Walt Disney World, using the extra time to explore the competition.

More importantly, since they will now be hitting parks outside of Disney--they are going to reconsider that pricey on-property WDW hotel and be more likely to choose someplace else. It's THIS change that could hurt Disney's profits. Let's face it, the extra $10 a day or less that they charge for another day's admission on the Magic Your Way ticket isn't going to impact their profit line--but the loss of that hotel stay--plus the profit on meals, snacks, and souveneirs. Ouch--that COULD hurt.

I still think it's a wait-and-see....nothing definite, but I think we're going to see Disney strategize with reasons for people to stay on property even more than they are reasons for them to come to the parks. Expect more "magic" like the virtual portholes on the Disney Cruise Line to be coming to hotel rooms very soon.....

• Occasional Reader

Harry potter has started advertising in the UK, It started on Saturday, but I only watched a prog I recorded today (TV Burp for those this side of the Water). Nothing much in terms of content, some wide shots that could well have copme from themovie, and Daniel Radcliffe commenting that people will be able to actually go to the places in the movie. Basically HP is coming. I think it said spring 2011.
    Smile, you never know who's looking !

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast