Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

• Darkbeer

Blog Entries

Motley Fool's comments about WDW getting hurt by LEGOLAND/Harry Potter

Interesting article talking about the shift in dynmaics, and how Disney might get hurt, as folks start to visit off-property places. Could the Hotels also get hurt.

Will LEGOLAND Florida Hurt or Help Disney? (DIS)

Disney's master plan has been to flesh out its themed hotels, keeping them filled with tourists paying premium rates.

One can always argue that Disney has already faced down the arrival -- and enhancements -- of several area parks. However, those parks have usually popped up several years apart. The Wizarding World of Harry Potter and LEGOLAND Florida are hitting central Florida in back-to-back years. Tourists who hit Orlando once every few years will have surprisingly long checklists of non-Disney things to do in two years.

Disney can no longer rest on its laurels, and its planned improvements may not be aggressive enough.
    Should be interesting to see how Disney responds if a lot of folks start to shift from just Disney to a more diverse vacation of non-Disney parks, restaurants and hotels as part of the mix.
    Check out my Theme Park Photos at http://darkbeer.smugmug.com

• I see in Muppet Vision

Re: Motley Fool's comments about WDW getting hurt by LEGOLAND/Harry Potter

Quote Originally Posted by Darkbeer View Post
    Should be interesting to see how Disney responds if a lot of folks start to shift from just Disney to a more diverse vacation of non-Disney parks, restaurants and hotels as part of the mix.
    It would be interesting if the disney hotels offered some kind of promotion to visit the other theme parks. But still have people staying at the disneyworld resorts... So they still get money from people staying at their hotels verses other hotels...

maybe a bus to universal leaving from the transportation hub with like a fee of $1 per rider or something like that... (have never been to universal so i have like no idea how far away it actually is from disney)

If disney did strike some deal with universal to have like the ultimate orlando vacation that would be very very interesting

• Too far from Disney World

Hmmm....I wonder if this is why Botcon (Transformers convention) is being held at the Dolphin this summer as well. Tho they are only offering 10% off Disney tickets to convention goers....
    With great pride: Disney Store Cast Member August 2011-Present

D23 Charter Member - 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012

WDW Trips: June 2012, 2010, 2008, 2007, 1997, 1996, 1994

• Pongo is my hero.

I really don't think Disney will lose attendance, if anything it will gain attendance and Orlando will become even more popular of a vacation destination.

one hundred and one

• I see in Muppet Vision

Quote Originally Posted by Imagineer Scott View Post
    I really don't think Disney will lose attendance, if anything it will gain attendance and Orlando will become even more popular of a vacation destination.
    Seriously if you are going to orlando are you just going to go to Universal to see potterverse then leave? I think disney might be getting more attendance than they think... Maybe they won't get people to come in for a week but rather 4 days at disney, 3 at universal. or something like that.

If you get people coming from across the pond to come to harry potterverse I highly doubt that they will just do that and leave. Orlando is probably in for a lot more traffic than its expecting.

• Minion

I know it's 67.00 for an Adult to get into legoland Ca. AND 72.00 TO GET INTO DISNEYLAND. Kinda a no brainer there.

• I see in Muppet Vision

okay so random googling... CBBC (the kids BBC in britain) had this lovely quote regarding harry potterland

"The Wizarding World of Harry Potter is going to be massive! It's going to open at Universal's Lands of Adventure in Florida, America, in 2010."

#1- Do people in britain really use the word massive?
    #2- Universal's LAND of of Adventure. I think cbbc means ISLAND's unless universal has a park i never heard of.
    #3- I just like how they have in Florida, America. It seems weird to me I guess. SO used to it being Orlando, FLorida. But to put Orlando, Florida, America would just be silly.

• Occasional Reader

#1 Yes
    #2 I Think youre right, lazy journo
    #3 I think this is about points of reference, you're part of a different audience. It seems usual to aim the second part of the description such that most of your audience know where it is, and then the first part is generally a bit more accurate. It's utterly pointless saying America to you, as you all get that already, the state is probably the broadest point of reference that everyone unserstands, and more accurate from there is the city. Whereas for us the broad reference is the country, and then onto the state. you're right that people only ever seem to say 2 points, and three sounds wrong though.
    Smile, you never know who's looking !

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Don't diss my bonnet

the location of my profile picture is Knott's in 1972, i'm about 10 months old.

Quote Originally Posted by LongIslandGuy View Post
    Seriously if you are going to orlando are you just going to go to Universal to see potterverse then leave? I think disney might be getting more attendance than they think... Maybe they won't get people to come in for a week but rather 4 days at disney, 3 at universal. or something like that.

If you get people coming from across the pond to come to harry potterverse I highly doubt that they will just do that and leave. Orlando is probably in for a lot more traffic than its expecting.
    My husband and I will be making our 2nd trip to Orlando this year.

Specifically to go to Universal Orlando (again)

neither of us has been to WDW (but it's on the list to do eventually)
    Will there be screams when the sun sets,
    -=Is It October Yet?=-

Quote Originally Posted by Tinkermonkey
    elly is the ultimate nerdy girl. But she makes it sexy
    Quote Originally Posted by pratt55
    Elly is adorkable.

• MiceAge Columnist

It's hard for us in the disney fan community to see past our tunnel vision, but there are indeed entire families and couples that greatly prefer Uni over Disney. Some cite that Disney is too saccharine, too focused on YOUNG families, and just too cloyingly artificial.
    Kevin Yee
    MiceAge Columnist

I am the author of several Disney books:
    Jason's Disneyland Almanac - a daily history of Disneyland
    Walt Disney World Hidden History - tributes, homages, and ride remnants at WDW
    Your Day at the Magic Kingdom
    Mouse Trap
    Tokyo Disney Made Easy
    101 Things You Never Knew About Disneyland
    Magic Quizdom (The Disneyland Trivia Book)

“The press [should be] a watchdog. Not an attack dog. Not a lapdog. A watchdog. Now, a watchdog can't be right all the time. He doesn't bark only when he sees or smells something that's dangerous. A good watchdog barks at things that are suspicious.” – Dan Rather

• Lion

I think any competition ultimately helps, and creating more attractions in Orlando will only help to draw more people in general to the area.

I also think that when people see how little there is at Potterland, they're going to be a bit disappointed. I think many people are under the impression that it's going to be nearly a whole theme park, when it's just a rather small land. Aside from one "e-ticket" there won't a whole lot more in terms of true attractions.

Quote Originally Posted by KevinYee View Post
    It's hard for us in the disney fan community to see past our tunnel vision, but there are indeed entire families and couples that greatly prefer Uni over Disney. Some cite that Disney is too saccharine, too focused on YOUNG families, and just too cloyingly artificial.
    And you're saying that Legoland or Universal are an alternative to that? While I agree that some people may find Disney parks too... something... they are under a false impression if they think that Universal provides anything more "adult" than WDW. Epcot, AK, and DHS provide plenty of the non-sugary-sweet children's fare. There might not be the coasters like Dueling Dragons, Mummy, or the Hulk, but coasters better than those appear in six flags parks all across the country. I find it hard to believe that anyone who's really delved into the "deeper" WDW offerings could ever draw the conclusion that Universal caters to a more refined adult audience. They may think that, but I would strongly question their level of attendance at parks other than the Magic Kingdom. If you find WDW "cloyingly artificial" I don't know how you can go to Universal and see things like big fake sharks or Seuss Landing and find it any less artificial that WDW. I think there may be some number of people that simply prefer Uni out of a total lack of knowledge about exactly what WDW provides outside of Fantasyland at the MK and Disney characters, or simply prefer Universal's parks because they keep their kids happy and they aren't as crowded as WDW.

Theme parks in general are designed to be an artificial experience. The ones that make less of a pretense ("coaster" parks like Six Flags or Cedar Point) might be more up certain people's alley, but Disney and Universal don't really provide that different of an experience when it comes to creating a fake world that you become a part of.

•   
    • Circle of Ancients

The Fool is being foolish, as always. Now, If you believe that Harry Potter won't be looked at as a major triumph, you're a moron. It's the biggest expansion Orlando has seen since Islands opened. (Yes, I consider it much larger than anything built at Animal Kingdom, including Everest.)

But to say that it's going to hurt Disney... that's just stupid. Same with Legoland.

Just bad journalism by people who don't understand the beast.
    -Bill

• Pongo is my hero.

So-

Sea World
    Aquatica
    Discovery Cove
    Legoland
    Magic Kingdom
    Epcot
    Disney's Hollywood Studios
    Disney's Animal Kingdom
    Blizzard Beach
    Typhoon Lagoon
    Universal Florida
    Islands of Adventure
    Wet'n'Wild

Wow, the only thing missing is a crappy Six Flags....

BTW, why is there a Six Flags in many major cities but none in Orlando?

one hundred and one

• MiceAge Columnist

I have it on good authority that Cedar Fair (Cedar Point, Knott's Berry Farm) at one point was sniffing around a parcel in the region.
    Kevin Yee
    MiceAge Columnist

I am the author of several Disney books:
    Jason's Disneyland Almanac - a daily history of Disneyland
    Walt Disney World Hidden History - tributes, homages, and ride remnants at WDW
    Your Day at the Magic Kingdom
    Mouse Trap
    Tokyo Disney Made Easy
    101 Things You Never Knew About Disneyland
    Magic Quizdom (The Disneyland Trivia Book)

“The press [should be] a watchdog. Not an attack dog. Not a lapdog. A watchdog. Now, a watchdog can't be right all the time. He doesn't bark only when he sees or smells something that's dangerous. A good watchdog barks at things that are suspicious.” – Dan Rather

• враг народа

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Imagineer Scott View Post
    So-

Sea World
    Aquatica
    Discovery Cove
    Legoland
    Magic Kingdom
    Epcot
    Disney's Hollywood Studios
    Disney's Animal Kingdom
    Blizzard Beach
    Typhoon Lagoon
    Universal Florida
    Islands of Adventure
    Wet'n'Wild

Wow, the only thing missing is a crappy Six Flags....

BTW, why is there a Six Flags in many major cities but none in Orlando?
    Six Flags has not built a park in decades, the last being Six Flags Over Mid-America (now Six Flags St. Louis) which opened in 1971. The rest of the Six Flags empire was built through acquisitions. Who would they buy? Six Flags did have a presence in Florida, in Hollywood, with Six Flags Atlantis water park. Six Flags sold the park in 1989 and it was closed after being damaged by Hurricane Andrew. Who would Six Flags buy and why would they even want to engage in the fight?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast