Graphic Or Architectural Jobs

Good evening everyone, and good luck to whichever team you are rooting for tonight!

I have been giving this a lot of thought lately, but am in need of help.

I did an internship with them back in 2007, and loved every minute of it. I would love to be able to go back to work for them in there in-house sign/graphics shop, as a architectural/scale model maker, or as a set builder.

Currently, I am Graphic Designer/Production Manager for a sign shop, but would rather be where the climate is a bit warmer and the company has the word "Disney" in it.

My questions will pretty much be:

- Who do I contact regarding these positions? (I've looked on the employment forums, but can't seem to find anything that would specify the fields you'll read about below.)
    - Does Disney do phone interviews, or would I have to drive/fly to the place of the employment opportunity?
    - Do these positions even exist, or are they part of another position?

Does Disney do their own in-house digital graphics/signage (IE, graphics for the monorails, window graphics, banners, ride signage, etc.)? If not, does anyone know which company does this for them? I'd assume so seeing as they have there own costume department and everything else, lol.

My ultimate dream would be to become a model builder for Disney (Or Universal if Disney wouldn't accept me... but that would be a LAST resort, lol). I have several years of design/fabrication experience with an architecture firm. I know Disney builds scale mock-ups of their concepts during the preliminary stages. Is that all done in-house by the Imagineers, or is it done by another department? Building models from scratch is my passion, and would love to do it for the company I've always wanted to work for.

On a random note, I have experience with fabrication as far as building actual structures is concerned. That is also something I enjoy doing as well. Either it be for building sets for movies, or building the latest attraction or resort for any of the parks. Is that mostly contracted out?

Thanks to everyone in advance for your help. Have yourself a wonderful evening and have fun tomorrow at work, school, or whatever activity you have to do tomorrow.
    Last edited by LMHConcepts; 01-25-2010 at 05:15 AM.

Re: Graphic Or Architectural Jobs

PS- I'm aware that some of these jobs are not just related to Walt Disney World. California or any other state works fine for me

Anyone? Or, if this is in the wrong section, can you please transfer to the correct one?

• All-American

Sorry, LMHConcepts, I think it's just that not many of us have experience getting jobs with Disney.

By the way, this isn't WDWMagic, this is MiceChat, which tends to focus more on the Disneyland-side of things. WDWMagic often is more WDW-centric.

I did find these links for you though:

The Walt Disney Company and Affiliated Companies - Careers

Disney Employment: Disney Jobs and Internships

Wish I could be of more help...

Yeah, I apologize. I'm not gonna lie, I copied it from my other post. Thank you for the links, I will def. take a look at them!

• Internet.Serious Business

Perfect Park Acres, the latest in Hover-Burb Communities

Quote Originally Posted by LMHConcepts View Post
    Currently, I am Graphic Designer/Production Manager for a sign shop, but would rather be where the climate is a bit warmer and the company has the word "Disney" in it.
    In all seriousness, in this economy, maybe the sign shop is the safer bet. Every company in themed entertainment design (including Disney) went through layoffs this year. Disney has quick turnover, and not usually by choice. Jobs are quite often have a project length lifespan. Something to be aware of.

My questions will pretty much be:

- Who do I contact regarding these positions? (I've looked on the employment forums, but can't seem to find anything that would specify the fields you'll read about below.)
    The Walt Disney Company and Affiliated Companies - Careers
    Search here. If they are not here, they pretty much don't exist. If they do exist and they aren't there, you wouldn't be able to get it without an inside contact/invitation to apply.

- Does Disney do phone interviews, or would I have to drive/fly to the place of the employment opportunity?
    Outside of the CPs (how was your internship like?) I have not seen it done for professional roles (Guest Relations:yes...Management or specialty roles: no).
    So maybe is the answer, but be prepared to travel.

- Do these positions even exist, or are they part of another position?
    Again, project work. They do exist, but they might only be tied to a certain project.

Does Disney do their own in-house digital graphics/signage (IE, graphics for the monorails, window graphics, banners, ride signage, etc.)? If not, does anyone know which company does this for them? I'd assume so seeing as they have there own costume department and everything else, lol.
    Both. They do somethings in-house, somethings are outsourced. In today's day and age more and more could be outsourced with Disney playing a project coordination/management role. They have costuming in house, but attraction prop/AA costumes are special. The CM costuming department outside of Show Quality is nothing special, minimum wage low skilled workers.

Even the costuming department to make/repair costumes works like a chicken with its head cut off from the rest of WDW. Lots of "new costume designs" that are simply created as projects to keep people in jobs ($$ wasters). Though maybe they reigned in on this last year, I don't know anymore.

My ultimate dream would be to become a model builder for Disney (Or Universal if Disney wouldn't accept me... but that would be a LAST resort, lol). I have several years of design/fabrication experience with an architecture firm. I know Disney builds scale mock-ups of their concepts during the preliminary stages. Is that all done in-house by the Imagineers, or is it done by another department? Building models from scratch is my passion, and would love to do it for the company I've always wanted to work for.
    Again, both. It depends, and it usually comes down to money. You could end up at a design firm and make a model for them. You could end up at an architecture firm and make a model for them. Or you could end up at a design firm and never do anything for them.

On a random note, I have experience with fabrication as far as building actual structures is concerned. That is also something I enjoy doing as well. Either it be for building sets for movies, or building the latest attraction or resort for any of the parks. Is that mostly contracted out?
    The fabrication is outsourced. Nassal is one famous company, they did the scenic for Hard Rock Park and they are doing Harry Potter. You would need to look for a scenic company to do that kind of thing.

I am like you, I had a tough time thinking that 1) I couldn't possibly have trouble getting a Disney job and 2) I couldn't possibly go somewhere else. But when I worked at Disney, I had to come to grips with the fact that IT IS hard to get in with Disney, and that looking elsewhere could be the way to get more experience. You already have the internship under your belt. That is a good start. But look around for theme park design firms and scenic companies. Maybe it isn't Disney but it could be better than the sign shop.

But if you did get in with Disney, be prepared that it almost certainly won't be an endless job that would become a career.