• TDR... It gets the love!!

Soarin' Over The World

Ok- so there has been a pretty big rumor going round for some time that Disney will eventually open a "Soarin' Over the World." And I'm sure they will eventually. But here are two articles which I've just found (the first one is a couple of months old)
    1. Soarin' Over the World Article
    and
    2. Future Attractions at Disneyland Resort Paris.
    The second one you have to scroll down a bit to get to the Soarin' part. But basically, does anyone have any idea of if it has started filming and when it would open at Epcot? Also, changing the thread into a bit of an 'Idea' thread, what would people most like to see in this updated attraction? Hmmmm...
    Yes. We all know that I am psychic. Don't believe me? Well... I'm sensing that you like Disney. I see that look of bewilderment, hmmm?

30 Minutes from the Happiest Place on Earth

Re: Soarin' Over The World

From what I've heard Soarin' Over the World is supposed to debut in 2013, after the DCA Expansion is completed because its also supposed to be added over there. Personally I think that they shouldn't add the World Version to California Adventure because that would contradict the theme that Disney is trying to give the park... "California". IMO, they should add Soarin' Over the World to EPCOT but keep Soarin' Over California in DCA. That would also give people a reason to visit both parks...
    "To all who come to this happy place... welcome." -Walt Disney
    "And that was without even a single drop of rum" -Jack Sparrow

• Honorary Jungle Skipper

I agree with above. Soarin' Around the Wold should definitely happen in Epcot (and DCA should probably keep California). I do hope the new music at least keeps the original's theme though. I love it.

As to a location I'd likely to see? The Scottish highlands. An unlikely choice, but if we're dreaming...

Other choices: buzzing the Great Wall, downtown Tokyo or Times Square, over the ocean as whales leap below, Red Square, the pyramids.

They would all be good places to see! But I agree with both you two... California Adventure's park really should keep the Californian version.
    Yes. We all know that I am psychic. Don't believe me? Well... I'm sensing that you like Disney. I see that look of bewilderment, hmmm?

• We'll hold them at bay

I'm not sure if Disney would do this. Soarin' is one of the most popular attractions so why spend money on that if it gets huge lines anyway?
    www.jamboeveryone.com
    Celebrating Disney's Animal Kingdom

• Frustrated A/V Engineer

Maybe they can split the attraction in DCA, showing California on one screen and World on the other. It would take a re-working of the queue, but it would add greatly to that attraction.

Hmmm... yes I could see that working actually. Interesting idea...

• Banned User

According to a poster on a thread on the DL side, Disney is filming scenes for Soarin' over the World, but it will take a long time because they need permission from various governments.

• Occasional Reader

What's needed most is a continuous film. I don't care if they have to relocate prominent world landmarks to do so, or if they get round it with a "hyperspace" type effect, but to cut straight from 1 shot to another takes away too much for me.
    Smile, you never know who's looking !

The problem with that is that the film format is to totally unique that there is no equipment in existence that could handle the dissolving. They did manage to do a fade up and fade down, but if you look closely you can see the step nature of those fades - very unsmooth, and they'd be even more unsmooth going from one scene to another.

• Occasional Reader

I'm sure there is a quote somewhere that says something about challenging the imagineers to push technology to somehow acheive what is needed for the show, not build the show round the technology. I bet there was no way to film it when they started !

credit to the admins that removed the post between Danyoung's and this ...before I could even report it !
    Last edited by Thorpeedo; 02-01-2010 at 07:27 AM. Reason: credit to the admins
    Smile, you never know who's looking !

Quote Originally Posted by Thorpeedo View Post
    I bet there was no way to film it when they started !
    I'm sure you're right. But I can say from personal experience that it's much easier to invent a camera and a film stock than it is to invent the editing equipment that would go with it. I'm sure they thought it was OK to cut from scene to scene. It used to bother me, but I've gotten used to it.