Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Disney's Typhoon Lagoon - Pictures

My picture threads consist of images I have taken that focus on the architecture, landscape architecture, planning, design, and theming of the facilities highlighted. They may also contain short descriptions and commentary, but will not focus on construction progress or special events or memorabilia or food selections or my traveling companions. Hopefully these threads are a good introduction for those who have not seen these places yet. All killer, no filler!

Disney's Typhoon Lagoon photographed in January 2010:
    Conceived as a tropical paradise that has been hit by a tremendous storm, this superbly themed water park features a wonderland of seemingly wrecked buildings and flotsam and jetsam details.

Entrance:
    The storm-ravaged nautical landscape is immediately established at the ticket windows and turnstiles.

Lagoona Gator:
    The park's surfing alligator mascot is just inside the entrance in front of a beach scenario.

Overview:
    The entrance path features a vista of the park's centerpiece before reaching the heart of the park.

Guest Services:
    After the entrance path, the park opens up to its large circular layout with a cluster of buildings that includes the dressing rooms, lockers, Singapore Sal's (beach merchandise), and several small food and beverage stands with leaning structures. This tour will continue roughly clockwise around the park from this point.

Leaning Palms and Happy Landings Ice Cream:
    The park's most memorable building is this window service cafe with a greatly exaggerated sense of precarious existence! Adjacent is the smaller ice cream stand whose roof is pierced by a motor boat and whose deck features motors that squirt water into the waterway below.

Castaway Creek:
    The waterway mentioned above is the park's lazy river that makes a 20-minute looping journey around Typhoon Lagoon.

Board Room:
    Nearby is this clock tower and setpiece on the shore of the lagoon which is themed to be the surf shack of the park's mascot, Lagoona Gator.

Typhoon Lagoon Surf Pool:
    The largest water feature of the park is this massive wave pool. Series of breakers emanate from the rickety back wall where waterfall 'leaks' spill into the pool, then race through the walled narrower deeper course before breaking on the shallower wider area that leads to several coves and shallows lined with sandy beaches. All of this is backed by Mount Mayday, the dramatic rocky centerpiece topped by Miss Tilly, a wrecked boat that spouts a water plume every half hour. The backside of the wave-making building can be viewed and features more rocky and rickety theming.

Ketchakiddee Creek:
    The park's designated children's play area is a concentrated area of fountains and waterfalls with a few small slides and sandcastle-like play elements. Unfortunately it is rather piecemeal and woven together by mineral-encrusted bubbling watercourses and backed by a similarly treated rocky waterfall that appear to be dripping with guano.

Keelhaul, Mayday, and Gangplank Falls:
    These three raft or innertube waterslides are adjacent to each other and occupy the left flank of Mount Mayday. Like most of the Disney waterslides, their courses are expertly integrated in the themed rockwork.

Mount Mayday Trail:
    The center flank of the hill features a trail up to an overlook below the Miss Tilly ship, reached by a winding rocky pathway and a suspension bridge. Castaway Creek floats through a small tunnel and sunny outdoor stretch at the base.

Humunga Kowabunga and Storm Slides:
    The right flank of Mount Mayday features a steep drop tube flume (3 identical courses) and another set of three twisting slides expertly concealed within rockwork and simulated wood flumes.

Shark Reef:
    This is a saltwater snorkel-through aquarium with fish, rays, and sharks. In the center of the reef is a wrecked ship which can be entered for views out of its portholes of the aquarium.

Typhoon Tilly's:
    Another window service cafe.

Castaway Creek:
    Another view of the lazy river.

Crush 'n' Gusher:
    These three waterslides feature uphill propulsion sections and are set within a fictional fruit-packing building and landscape with a roomy lagoon at the splashdown.

Enjoy!
    Last edited by geomorph; 01-25-2010 at 03:36 PM.

• Jacob <3 Cotton Candy

Re: Disney's Typhoon Lagoon - Pictures

Very Nice Pictures! I have never been, but my hubby and I would love to go there sometime! Keep the pictures coming!
    Delta Mu Chi Alpha ΔΜΧΑ

• Looking for Hidden Mickey

Thanks for the pictures, i always wonder how it look inside. Can't wait to see more!
    Check out my page at www.myspace.com/wheresmickey

Check out my pin collection at www.pinpics.com. User name is WheresMickey

• All-American

Yes! I've been waiting for the Typhoon Lagoon geomorph thread, mainly because it's one of the few stateside Disney places I have yet to see. The theming kind of reminds me of the cruiseline's Castaway Cay, to be honest.

Mark Twain, I have never been to Castaway Cay, do you know a good link to good pictures of it?

• All-American

Quote Originally Posted by geomorph View Post
    Mark Twain, I have never been to Castaway Cay, do you know a good link to good pictures of it?
    Here are some I just found:

Castaway Cay Photos - Pictures of Disney Cruise Line's Castaway Cay Island

Flickr: Disney's Castaway Cay

Looking at these pictures, I think it's definitely safe to say the theming is comparable, since both are going for that storm-struck island look.

Mark Twain, thank you for the links, yes it has a similar theme!

• Here we goooooo!

All the years of going to WDW, and never once going to Typhoon Lagoon. Now I have to. Great shots and descriptions...more info than I've ever seen before about this park. Even if you didnt get wet, you'd have so much to see.

• De la Terre la Luke

Great shots, thanks for posting. I remember going to Typhoon Lagoon in 1993 when I was 7, my whole family loved it! My sister fell over in the huge wave pool and still has a scar on her back, so we still talk about TL loads! I'd love to go back one day.

• Geek

awesomely detailed description, thank you. the two water parks at WDW are one of the main reasons i want to go as opposed to another DLP trip. have you done a blizzard beach post?

Sgt. Tibs, yes here is my Blizzard Beach thread!

Disney's Blizzard Beach - Pictures

• Geek

cool, thanks :-)

• Pongo is my hero.

Great water park- you realy captured the spirit of the park in these pics! Great job!

one hundred and one

Have any of you been to Aquatica? I have not been there, curious if it compares to the two Disney waterparks.

• Frustrated A/V Engineer

Great article and pictures. Reminds me of my last visit to TL. But then that visit involved skinnydipping and an illegal after hours visit, so nuff said . . .

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast