Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

• Tonka's Skipper

Re: It was only a matter of time...

I feel Disney often is spot lighted when these terrible things things happen, if for no other reason then they are DISNEY. Sometimes it is a plain accident or something a guest does to cause a accident (IE like standing up on a coaster type attraction). However in this case there seems to be great fault on the part of Disney operations and cast members.

I expect Disney to step up to the plate and settle with the Mom.

AKK

Due to the leagal system and a thing called precedent Disney couldn't pay until she filed a lawsuit. When a drunk hit Barbara Mandrell and he was killed, BM had to sue the widow to recover camages from the insurance company and folks were outraged. It's just how our system works.

• May the F=ma be with you

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyIPresume View Post
    Not only is Disney going to have to pay up to his family in or out of court, I am sure their worker's compensation carrier is making them pay dearly for it too.

So stupid. If they were trying to cut costs by making the driver drive the way he was, this "cost cutting move" may wind up costing Disney way much more than they could have ever imagined.
    If you think that, then I suggest you fully understand the performed procedure before making a ludicrous statement.

Quote Originally Posted by Phonedave View Post
    Well, if your parents can't teach you, maybe you can learn from a taser.

• Frustrated A/V Engineer

Quote Originally Posted by Monorail Man View Post
    They will settle out of court, Disney always does.
    Not true at all. Disney has a long history of going to court and most of the time successfully arguing their cases. But I think in this situation the evidence is overwhelmingly against Disney - there's simply no way they could win in court. So I do think they'll settle, and we'll never hear the amount.

Re: It was only a matter of time... [Mother of Monorail Crash Driver Sues Disney]

Unless they feel they really were not at fault, I see disney settling out of court. Letting a case like this go to court would pro-long undesired media attention around the incident.

either way, I think she deserves this. I would not qualify this a sue happy or petty. This case anyway. I do think american society as a whole is a bit sue happy, petty, and if nothing else, takes itself too seriously.

I think Disney doesn't have much ground on this. Anything they might gain my fighting this lawsuit they will lose in negative pubilcity. More then that, has harsh a critic that I am, I will say this.....

The company is not what it use to be, it is losing touch with its heritage and traditions, but in "big deals" I have seen it do the right thing. I suspect it will in this case.

Quote Originally Posted by danyoung View Post
    Not true at all. Disney has a long history of going to court and most of the time successfully arguing their cases. But I think in this situation the evidence is overwhelmingly against Disney - there's simply no way they could win in court. So I do think they'll settle, and we'll never hear the amount.
    I have the book Realityland - which talks about the behind-the-scenes goings on at WDW - there is a whole chapter on accidents and lawsuits throughout the years at WDW - when it's their fault - they pay. When it's not their fault, they go to court and fight it. For example- the woman who sued trying to claim that she'd been hit by falling brick from Cinderella's castle (duh), or the family of a 15 year old boy who decided to get out of his doombuggy and explore Haunted Mansion on his own and was injured when he fell 15 feet. One woman sued them when she fell down the staircase at Top of the World Restaurant claiming that she was distracted by the panoramic view and Disney should have know better than to put a staircase there because people would be too busy paying attention to that instead of watching their steps. Disney isn't going to roll over for situations like this and they shouldn't.

However, this person died because of a failure in the system and it was a horrible accident and I believe that Disney will not have a problem paying - they won't like it - nobody likes it - but when you employ and entertain 10s of thousands of people everyday - this is, unfortunately part of the cost of doing business and they know that.

• Beach Expert

A beach town that Harbor Blvd was named after

Quote Originally Posted by WDW Monorail View Post
    If you think that, then I suggest you fully understand the performed procedure before making a ludicrous statement.
    I beg your pardon.

I didn't say they were cutting costs. I was saying if they were cutting costs. I admit right there that I don't know for sure.

Next time you respond to a post can you please fully read it first?

Thank you.

• MiceAge Columnist

Blog Entries

Re: It was only a matter of time... [Mother of Monorail Crash Driver Sues Disney]

Plain and simple... where was the person in charge that was supposed to be in the "control tower"... OFF Property having dinner...

Plain and simple, Disney FAILED and OSHA was very clear in its report.

I am SO SORRY for the lost of the CM, and understand that her Mom is missing him so much. Money can't replace that, but that is the way the system works. I think Disney will (since they are basically self insured) be paying out a 8 digit (Heck, many 9, as in over $100 MILLION) payout...... YIKES!

•   
    • RCMC: Java Junkie

That's sad someone loses their life because of safety rules either not being followed or not put in place. It's sad not only for Disney but for ANY company to endanger someone's life. It's even worse when it's made public knowledge that it was all because the company wanted to save money. Don't corporations understand that human lives are NOT replaceable. Were not machines, where you say oh that broke let me replace that piece. Human lives are extremely valuable and should be treated as such. Very sorry for that family. Like has already been said, maybe now Disney has learned it's lesson. Sad that they had to learn it at such great cost, to themselves and to that family.

•   
    • Sponge & A Rusty Spanner

Quote Originally Posted by Monorail Man View Post
    They will settle out of court, Disney always does.
    You'd be surprised at how many times Disney takes the position that there will be no offer, and we'll see you at trial. If they think they have no exposure, they'll offer nothing. I'd have to imagine that they will worry that they have exposure on this one, though, so I agree with you. They will probably settle out of court.

Quote Originally Posted by In the Parks View Post
    Plain and simple... where was the person in charge that was supposed to be in the "control tower"... OFF Property having dinner...

I am SO SORRY for the lost of the CM, and understand that her Mom is missing him so much. Money can't replace that, but that is the way the system works. I think Disney will (since they are basically self insured) be paying out a 8 digit (Heck, many 9, as in over $100 MILLION) payout...... YIKES!
    The case is not worth anything close to 9 figures.
    Fight On! Beat the Beavers!

Tom Chaney Memorial Debate Lounge Quote of the Week:

Quote Originally Posted by sleepyjeff View Post
    Speaking of "drive-by" my cousin just became the new drummer for -Train-
    The only thing we have to shame is ... shame itself!

I think it's terrible that she lost her son but what right does she have to sue for compensation - she wasn't dependent upon her son's income... So, i guess she's working the negligence angle, would that be correct?

BTW, I'm not against her getting being compensated and I honestly think there isn't enough money to make the pain any less difficult but I'd like to understand how she can manoeuvre a court case in her favour!

• Frustrated A/V Engineer

It's not about actual damages, but punitive ones. How do you value a life? You can't really put a number on it, but the jury can come up with a number that's large enough to really hurt the defendant, or at least get their attention.

• Pongo is my hero.

People seem to forget this was human error that caused this as well as tracing it back to Disney maintenance.

I bet she'll never have to work again to support herself for the rest of her life- but I think she must know she can't blame it all on the mouse. And I'd like to think she's sueing to help change Disney's maintenance policies, but in our country the dollar means everything.

one hundred and one

• May the F=ma be with you

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyIPresume View Post
    I beg your pardon.

I didn't say they were cutting costs. I was saying if they were cutting costs. I admit right there that I don't know for sure.

Next time you respond to a post can you please fully read it first?

Thank you.
    It seemed to me as if you were sure that they were cutting costs. The company is receiving enough bad press because of the incident, it does not need any more from false information or assumptions.

Quote Originally Posted by In the Parks View Post

I don't think you understand what happened that night. The person in the "control tower" and the person in the restaurant are two completely different people. The Central that night became ill and had to leave their post. The manager off site ok'd Central to leave and called for another CM to act as Central. The accident occurred after the 1st Central had left the post and before the replacement arrived. At the time, the Central was not required to be in the booth and, as far as I know to this day, is still not required to be at the booth at all times. Only for switching. The post could have been unmanned for 10 minutes or 30 seconds, it wouldn't have mattered because the shop radioed that the switch had been thrown properly.

Would you be surprised to know that the manager off site was not actually having dinner, rather buying pizza for his employees to eat when their shift was done. It can't be! Surely the managers are evil and would never do such good!

Again, false information is not something that is need at anytime involving anyone.

Quote Originally Posted by Phonedave View Post
    Well, if your parents can't teach you, maybe you can learn from a taser.

• Padawan

L.A.-- But I'd rather be on Brokeback Mountain

Quote Originally Posted by mrfantasmic View Post
    As that poster said right afterward.
    Doesn't look like it to me.
    --Jonathan

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast