Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

• Disneylander

Animal Kingdom tips

I'm going to WDW in March, and although I've been to the other parks, have never been to AK. What are your favorite rides? Restaurants? Tricks to avoid crowds? I'm going with three adults, no kids this time.

Thanks in advance for your help.

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Where should we go next?

Blog Entries

Re: Animal Kingdom tips

I hate Animal Kingdom. But I do like the Pizzafari, though i think my fave (chicken parm sandwhich) isn't served anymore. Expedition Everest is great. There aren't many rides there. I also love the Lion King Show. Everyone loves the Nemo show, but I'm not really a fan.
    Good morning, son
    In twenty years from now
    Maybe we'll both sit down and have a few beers
    And I can tell you 'bout today
    And how I picked you up and everything changed
    It was pain
    Sunny days and rain
    I knew you'd feel the same things...

• Seasick

Hit the Safari early, first thing if possible. Animals may be out in greater force in the cooler morning hours. Plan to do it at least twice regardless, you'll see something different each time.

Animal Kingdom is a bit different than other Disney parks, where the best plan is to go go go, and get in as many rides & shows as possible.

Take it a bit more slowly. Take time to enjoy the scenery, the little side trails, the atmosphere. Expedition Everest is awesome, and don't miss it by any means, but some of the low-key experiences are what truly make Animal Kingdom magical.
    My Micechat cruise trip report, Part 1:http://micechat.com/14795-disney-wonder/

• MC Blogger

Blog Entries

Look here for a detailed trip report, tips, and photos.
    Mark

Disney parks and art, movies, music, more... Over 1, 000 Posts!
    www.InsightsandSounds.blogspot.com

• Falling With Style

I would definitely recommend the Safari!

• Occasional Reader

Think about Single rider line on Everest to save time !
    sit near the back of the car (if you can!) to give yourself a greater chance of seeing the yeti
    Smile, you never know who's looking !

Make sure you do the Pangani Forest Trail and Maharaja Jungle Trek - these are where most of the animals are (aside from the Kilimanjaro Safari), though they are not well sign-posted.

Flights of Wonder is a nice bird show that will fill up an hour. Many people overlook this, but they shouldn't.

When it is not super busy you can usually ride Kali River Rapids over and over at night time (without exiting the raft). The flames in the logging part of the ride are even better at night.
    The Kali queue is also one of the most detailed at WDW. There is an aviary in the queue that most guests don't even notice (I used to be a CM there).

The single rider queue at Expedition Everest can be great, but it does move quite slowly.

Arrive before park opens:

Go to the Safari first then as you exit go to Pangini Forest

Ignore Rafki not worth the time

Then head to Asia get a fast pass for Everest and ride it also

Back track to Kali Rapids and jump on,
    Then catch the jungle trek
    then go back to Everest for you fast pass

Continue around the lake and catch Finding Nemo

Then head to Dinoland, Hit Dinosaur, Primeval Whirl use fast pass for either and squeeze in either boneyard if you have kids or tricetop spin (and sub it for dumbo)

Look at your show schedule and hit lion king then bugs life or vice versa

Don't do the character greets in camp minnie mickey, wait till you get to epcot and save major time

Do this and all you miss is:
    Rafki
    Flights of Wonder
    & Character Greets

• Life Long Disney Fan

I would have to disagree and say don't ignore Rafiki's Planet Watch. If you go there between 9AM and 12PM they bring animals in for veterinary checks and procedures and you can watch them and ask questions. I saw a naked mole rat having stitches removed from a procedure. It was very interesting. They say they can get gorillas in there too.

This is all contingent upon you being interested in this type of thing.

I also recommend the Flights of Wonder show. It is pretty good. Although I have never seen Finding Nemo, I have seen the Lion King, and it is definitely a must see.

Although I have never been on Primeval Whirl, as my wife hates spinning and I don't like to make her wait while I ride something, it looks great. It is a much gentler coaster than Everest, but the cars spin frequently during the ride. I think it looks great.

Of course you do have to go on the Safari and do the trails too. There really is a lot more to see and do there than most people admit to. It is not my favorite park by any means, but it does have a lot to offer.

When you go to Epcot do you just run through the park on all the rides, or do you stop to enjoy the informational exhibits and truly appreciate the World Showcase? If so, then there is a ton of stuff for you at Animal Kingdom.

As for tips, I don't really have any other than the veterinary suggestion.

• Hello there

Blog Entries

I am going to say don't miss flights of wonder. I really like that show. I thought it was well done and informative. I never saw Nemo so I can't comment on that. Also, I do recommend getting there before the park opens and hit the Safari first. Grab a cup of coffee and head over to the park. Drink your coffee as you are waiting for the gates to open.
    Fratsor Sister - Delta Mu Chi Alpha

ΔΜΧΑ

• Seasick

Quote Originally Posted by Thorpeedo View Post
    Think about Single rider line on Everest to save time !
    sit near the back of the car (if you can!) to give yourself a greater chance of seeing the yeti
    Also consider waiting for the front car on Everest. You get a great view at the ride's peak.

And I agree with everyone that Flights of Wonder is well worth your time.
    My Micechat cruise trip report, Part 1:http://micechat.com/14795-disney-wonder/

so the two DON'T does at animal kingdom would be:

Character greets (go to EPCOT and go thru a consolidated line and save almost two hours of lines

And Rafki Planet Watch is a minimal return on a time investment, in that you can get for the most part the same experience at any science museum or second rate petting zoo (really 8 different types of goats does not count as variety) & the train ride is a waste and the trails I would rather walk Discovery Island twice or Jungle or Forest twice

I'm looking on it as a Return on Investment during your stay

Put I stand corrected on Flights of Wonder then

• Frustrated A/V Engineer

Plan on lunching at the Flame Tree BBQ. They have excellent ribs and pulled pork sandwiches with some tasty tangy sauce. And the seating area is incredibly themed, terraced all the way down to the waterfront where you can dine with a great view of Everest across the way. One of my favorites!

No one mentioned this yet, but the 3D show It's Tough To Be A Bug is down in the base of the big Tree of Life. The show is fun, but the setting in the tree is just about an attraction in itself!

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Where should we go next?

Blog Entries

Oh yeah, I actually like Rafiki's, for the train ride, at least, and the little backstage view. It's a cute little area, but there's not much to do there (like msot of AK).
    Good morning, son
    In twenty years from now
    Maybe we'll both sit down and have a few beers
    And I can tell you 'bout today
    And how I picked you up and everything changed
    It was pain
    Sunny days and rain
    I knew you'd feel the same things...

• The Study of Wumbo

Dinosaur is one crazy ride! Very intense and frightening. It's worth trying though.
    -Hale (wumbology)

a.k.a. h2mc, omnimover.mousetalgia, omnimover, wumbology, hogbackmtn, hhmcsharry, Hale M., h2m, h2mc

(I've never visited Disneyland Resort, Tokyo Disney Resort, Disneyland Resort Paris, nor Hong Kong Disneyland Resort, so don't be fooled when I pretend to know what I'm talking about. [But I'm pretty good with the information, if I do say so myself. And you can hit me all you want with Walt Disney World.])

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast